A time to rejoice in the fact that this chart is 21 years old (1988)
Chris Brown
2009-12-31 16:54:25 UTC
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the 31st of
December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit this is a bit
of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service resumes a week
tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and pretend I was being
deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly half-way between 1967
and now.

Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the news
today.

Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231

01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
03. (3) Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
[Stop!; The Hardest Part; Knocking On Your Door; She Won't Be Home]
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
05. (7) Status Quo - Burning Bridges (On And Off And On Again)
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
07.(13) Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
08. (6) Bros - Cat Among The Pigeons/Silent Night
09.(15) The Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
12. (9) U2 - Angel Of Harlem
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
14.(19) Kim Wilde - Four Letter Word
15.(27) Freiheit - Keeping The Dream Alive
16.(12) Rick Astley - Take Me To Your Heart
17.(11) New Order - Fine Time
18.(20) A-ha - You Are The One
19.(21) Londonbeat - 9AM (The Comfort Zone)
20.(36) Enya - Evening Falls
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
22.(18) Robin Beck - First Time
23.(28) Shakin' Stevens - True Love
24.(16) Bananarama - Nathan Jones
25.(25) INXS - Need You Tonight
26.(17) Bomb The Bass Featuring Maureen - Say A Little Prayer
27.(24) Tiffany - Radio Romance
28.(32) Annie Lennox And Al Green - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
29.(23) Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
30.(22) Chris De Burgh - Missing You
31.(33) Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care
32.(38) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
33.(26) Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices
34.(40) Natalie Cole - I Live For Your Love {re-release}
35.(30) Alexander O'Neal - Christmas Song/Thank You For A Good Year
36.(29) Hithouse - Jack To The Sound Of The Underground
37.(34) The Beach Boys - Kokomo
38.(31) Humanoid - Stakker Humanoid
39.(47) Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
40.(35) Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra - Minnie The Moocher
41.(45) Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
42.(37) George Michael - Kissing A Fool
43.(51) George Van Dusen - It's Party Time Again
44.(44) Yazz - Stand Up For Your Love Rights
45.(41) Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
46.(49) Bobby McFerrin - Thinking About Your Body
47.(42) Salt-N-Pepa - Twist And Shout
48.(48) Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine/Jealous Guy
50.(43) The Pogues - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
51.(58) Bobby Brown - My Prerogative
52.(55) Boney M - Mary's Boy Child (Megamix)
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
54.(59) Sandra - Everlasting Love {re-release}
55.(54) Wee Papa Girl Rappers - Soulmate
56.(50) Mista E - Don't Believe The Hype
57.(52) Breathe - How Can I Fall
58.(57) Climie Fisher - Love Like A River
59.(70) Enya - Orinoco Flow
60.(67) The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe {re-issue}
61.(53) T'Pau - Road To Our Dream
62.(56) The Pasadenas - Enchanted Lady
63.(64) Belinda Carlisle - Love Never Dies
64.(72) Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant
65.(66) London Boys - Requiem
66.(68) Fleetwood Mac - As Long As You Follow
67.(65) Buddy Holly - True Love Ways {re-issue}
68.(60) Brother Beyond - He Ain't No Competition
69.(76) Raze - Break 4 Love
70.(63) Yello - Tied Up
71.(62) D Mob Featuring Gary Haisman - We Call It Acieed
72.(RE) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - 1-2-3
73.(71) Robert Palmer - She Makes My Day
74.(NE) Kool And The Gang - Celebration '88
75.(80) Steve Earle - Johnny Come Lately
76.(NE) Chris De Burgh - Tender Hands
77.(78) Truth - Open Our Eyes
78.(75) Baby Ford - Chikki Chikki Ahh Ahh
79.(RE) Transvision Vamp - Sister Moon
80.(100)Smith And Mighty - Walk On
81.(81) Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time
82.(RE) Erasure - A Little Respect
83.(RE) Royal House - Can You Party
84.(85) Nat King Cole - Unforgettable {re-issue}
85.(RE) Marillion - Freaks (Live)
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
87.(RE) Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
89.(89) Maurice - This Is Acid
90.(RE) Total Contrast - Waiting In Vain
91.(88) Star Turn On 45 (Pints) - Christmas Party
92.(RE) U2 - Desire
93.(98) Jan Hammer - The Runner
94.(87) Ruby Turner And Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
95.(RE) The Christians - Harvest For The World
96.(RE) Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle/Nightrain
97.(84) Blow - Change
98.(83) Dame Edna Everage - Theme From 'Neighbours'
99.(RE) Bros - I Quit
100.(N) 2 Brave - Stop That Girl

Chris
--
"Back next week with another ridiculous tie knot"

http://nowthats.blogspot.com
Mark Goodge
2009-12-31 17:37:06 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:54:25 -0000, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard
Post by Chris Brown
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the 31st of
December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit this is a bit
of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service resumes a week
tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and pretend I was being
deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly half-way between 1967
and now.
Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the news
today.
It's surprising how unmemorable most of these are, though - especially
given that it's from the late 80s, an era which generally provided a
lot of good music.
Post by Chris Brown
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
I remember this, of course, but as a Christmas perennial it would be
hard not to.
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
I don't remember this. I suspect that this is a good thing.
Post by Chris Brown
03. (3) Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
But I don't remember this either, even though I liked Erasure at the
time. Must see if I can find this on download.
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
Who?
Post by Chris Brown
05. (7) Status Quo - Burning Bridges (On And Off And On Again)
In the news today as part of the New Year Honours List. An OBE for
three chords; if they'd managed a fourth they might have been
knighted.
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
12. (9) U2 - Angel Of Harlem
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
A re-recording of an old song, and new ones by big name artists going
through a bit of rough patch.
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
...and so is Michael Fish!
Post by Chris Brown
35.(30) Alexander O'Neal - Christmas Song/Thank You For A Good Year
Despite the title, this hasn't become a Christmas perennial. Which is
probably why I don't remember it either.
Post by Chris Brown
41.(45) Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
Did you actually type this, or was someone else doing it for you?

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
Chris Brown
2010-01-02 01:00:30 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the 31st of
December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit this is a bit
of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service resumes a week
tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and pretend I was being
deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly half-way between 1967
and now.
Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the news
today.
It's surprising how unmemorable most of these are, though -
Well, there's one track that's literally Unforgettable. ;-)
Post by Mark Goodge
especially
given that it's from the late 80s, an era which generally provided a
lot of good music.
It is the winter though. I suppose some stuff was being held back for the
New Year.
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
I don't remember this. I suspect that this is a good thing.
It certainly is. I don't even think Jason Donovan thinks it's good.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
03. (3) Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
But I don't remember this either, even though I liked Erasure at the
time. Must see if I can find this on download.
I do remember 'Stop', and there are a lot of Erasure hits around this time
that I don't remember at all.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
Who?
Australian singer who is very famous there as the lead singer of Rose Tatoo.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
12. (9) U2 - Angel Of Harlem
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
A re-recording of an old song,
I think it was just a remix.
Post by Mark Goodge
and new ones by big name artists going
through a bit of rough patch.
Artistically, but they were the stars of the time.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
...and so is Michael Fish!
Bernard Davey left the Navy!
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
35.(30) Alexander O'Neal - Christmas Song/Thank You For A Good Year
Despite the title, this hasn't become a Christmas perennial.
I think maybe it's more that it was already too much of one for his own
version to make an impact.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
41.(45) Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
Did you actually type this, or was someone else doing it for you?
Hah, I was trying to think of a way to fit that joke in.

Chris
Paul Hyett
2010-01-02 08:26:36 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
I don't remember this. I suspect that this is a good thing.
It certainly is. I don't even think Jason Donovan thinks it's good.
I doubt even Pete Waterman does... :P
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
Robbie
2010-01-02 11:27:43 UTC
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
I don't remember this. I suspect that this is a good thing.
It certainly is. I don't even think Jason Donovan thinks it's good.
I doubt even Pete Waterman does... :P
I think Pete Waterman was seeing £££ and as a result he probably thought
it was a masterpiece.

Think about it - the two hottest TV stars, their characters were getting
married in a daily soap that attracted 19m viewers a day and the two
stars had got together in real life. If they'd released a single with
them passing wind it would have sold by the bucketload!
Paul Hyett
2010-01-02 17:43:10 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
Think about it - the two hottest TV stars, their characters were
getting married in a daily soap that attracted 19m viewers a day and
the two stars had got together in real life. If they'd released a
single with them passing wind it would have sold by the bucketload!
It would have been better than this, at least... :p
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
Paul Hyett
2009-12-31 18:11:57 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 at 16:54:25, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Puke! :(
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
The only Kylie song I'm really not keen on - too cheesy even for *me*!
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
OK.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
OK
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
For a long long time I got the lyrics of this wrong.
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
Horror!
Post by Chris Brown
42.(37) George Michael - Kissing A Fool
Not in an LA public convenience, presumably... :p
Post by Chris Brown
48.(48) Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
OK, but nowhere near her best.
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine
I really hate this song.
Post by Chris Brown
50.(43) The Pogues - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
They released another single? :p
Post by Chris Brown
52.(55) Boney M - Mary's Boy Child (Megamix)
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
Two you still can't avoid...
Post by Chris Brown
74.(NE) Kool And The Gang - Celebration '88
The original was OK.
Post by Chris Brown
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
One of my favs of the 70's (what I can remember of them).
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
Chris Brown
2010-01-02 22:47:32 UTC
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Puke! :(
I know.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
The only Kylie song I'm really not keen on - too cheesy even for *me*!
Indeed.
Whenever I hear this (fortunately not often) I still expect the cheer that
Jason Donovan got when he "sang" his part on TotP.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
OK.
Didn't think you'd like this one, for some reason.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
OK
I suppose so, although it's not as good as I thought at the time.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
For a long long time I got the lyrics of this wrong.
Really? There aren't a lot of them.
Obviously, I'd read them all in the CD booklet.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
Horror!
You're saying it like it's a bad thing.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine
I really hate this song.
I think I do now.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
50.(43) The Pogues - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
They released another single? :p
It wouldn't be Christmas without the Pogues in the chart.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
74.(NE) Kool And The Gang - Celebration '88
The original was OK.
I suspect this is ghastly though.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Chris Brown
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
One of my favs of the 70's (what I can remember of them).
Yeah, pretty decent.

Chris
Robbie
2009-12-31 22:04:20 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the
31st of December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit
this is a bit of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service
resumes a week tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and
pretend I was being deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly
half-way between 1967 and now.
Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the
news today.
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Dreadful song
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
and this was probably even worse. Came very close to being the first
million seller for over 3 years but just fell short.
Post by Chris Brown
03. (3) Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
[Stop!; The Hardest Part; Knocking On Your Door; She Won't Be Home]
I bought this EP. Stop! is probably one of their best singles.
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
aka the Neighbour's wedding theme, meaning Neighbours related nonsense
accounted for 40% of the top 5.
Post by Chris Brown
05. (7) Status Quo - Burning Bridges (On And Off And On Again)
Topical as the main two have been awarded OBE's. I'm surprised it's
taken this long. One of their more memorable later hits and one that
they reworked in 1994 with the Manchester United football team as Come
On You Reds.
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
Excellent club / house song. One of the best (along with Big Fun) of
this era, which was of course the era of smiley faces and acid house.
Post by Chris Brown
07.(13) Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
Not a bad song but I can never hear this song without remembering the
Lockerbie plane disaster as it was this song that was playing on the
jukebox in the pub when the news came through about a plane crash in
Scotland.
Post by Chris Brown
08. (6) Bros - Cat Among The Pigeons/Silent Night
OK song (the A side), the AA side (Silent Night) was torture.
Post by Chris Brown
09.(15) The Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco
From Buster. Not very good.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
I think this was from Buster too. Not good either.
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
Revived thanks to Philip Schofield and his right hand puppet, Gordon the
Gopher. I didn't care much for this remix, preferring the original version.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (9) U2 - Angel Of Harlem
A sort of Christmas related song. Better than Desire.
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Not too bad a song.
Post by Chris Brown
14.(19) Kim Wilde - Four Letter Word
OK song. Not a patch on You Came though, but it was nice to see Kim back
in the charts and back on TOTP.
Post by Chris Brown
15.(27) Freiheit - Keeping The Dream Alive
I quite liked this back then, a bit of a moody type song and one that is
now long forgotten I'd imagine.
Post by Chris Brown
16.(12) Rick Astley - Take Me To Your Heart
Not his best (though his best isn't that brilliant) but listeneable.
Post by Chris Brown
17.(11) New Order - Fine Time
Is this the one that was used on a TV drama programme (with Maggie
somebody or other) a few years later or am I thinking of another of
theirs? Either way, not too bad. Their 4th top 20 hit in a row, the best
they ever managed.
Post by Chris Brown
18.(20) A-ha - You Are The One
They were pretty much running out of ideas by now but this wasn't their
worst.
Post by Chris Brown
19.(21) Londonbeat - 9AM (The Comfort Zone)
I found this slightly irritating but radio seemed to love it. Not
typical of their output, this was quite a soulful record despite being
annoying.
Post by Chris Brown
20.(36) Enya - Evening Falls
Vaguely recall but it can't have been that good as it hasn't left much
of an impression on me.
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
Poor song that was neither funny nor interesting!
Post by Chris Brown
22.(18) Robin Beck - First Time
The former number one and adapted from the Coca Cola advert. Not bad to
be honest.
Post by Chris Brown
23.(28) Shakin' Stevens - True Love
This was poor though.
Post by Chris Brown
24.(16) Bananarama - Nathan Jones
This was OK but they were struggling now and had long since sold their
souls to SAW.
Post by Chris Brown
25.(25) INXS - Need You Tonight
Remix of the original 1987 release. The production was a lot tighter on
this remix. The Kick Inside seemed to be on every jukebox that had CD
albums back then - the amount of non vinyl singles jukeboxes was still
relatively small but they were beginning to appear more and more in 1988
and 1989.
Post by Chris Brown
26.(17) Bomb The Bass Featuring Maureen - Say A Little Prayer
Not bad.
Post by Chris Brown
27.(24) Tiffany - Radio Romance
Poor song and her last top 40 hit in what was a very short career.
Post by Chris Brown
28.(32) Annie Lennox And Al Green - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Didn't care much for this.
Post by Chris Brown
29.(23) Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
Another album (New Jersey?) that I remember on the CD jukeboxes from
back then. Those jukeboxes had limited choices back then and a slower
turnover of albums so you tended to end up with the same handful of
songs being played to death.
Post by Chris Brown
30.(22) Chris De Burgh - Missing You
I'm certainly not missing this! His second best selling single and one
of only two top 10 hits he had.
Post by Chris Brown
31.(33) Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care
On the rebound due to the sudden death of Roy Orbison a few weeks
earlier. Not too bad a song
Post by Chris Brown
32.(38) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
another annoying song by GE who was about to get solo billing after her
the nest single.
Post by Chris Brown
33.(26) Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices
I've mentioned before that I've never been much of a Pet Shop Boys fan
and like many other singles they released I didn't care much for this.
Unfortunately Radio 1 loved them so like many other PSB's releases from
this era I had to suffer hearing it almost every day.
Post by Chris Brown
34.(40) Natalie Cole - I Live For Your Love {re-release}
I quite liked this even if it is a bit of a maudlin ballad.
Post by Chris Brown
35.(30) Alexander O'Neal - Christmas Song/Thank You For A Good Year
Not the most inspired of covers of the song Nat King Cole made his own.
(I note Natalie is one place higher on this chart!). May have been a
bigger hit had Die Hard been on UK release - the song in its NKC version
is heard at the end of the film and though it was already released in
the US it didn't appear in the UK until February 1989.
Post by Chris Brown
36.(29) Hithouse - Jack To The Sound Of The Underground
Excellent house record by the late Peter Slaghuis.
Post by Chris Brown
37.(34) The Beach Boys - Kokomo
Awful song by a group that I had little time for to start with.
Post by Chris Brown
38.(31) Humanoid - Stakker Humanoid
Another excellent house record and one that crossed over to the
burgeoning electro and rave scenes and was consequently re-released in
slightly remixed form when rave overtook the charts a few years later.
Post by Chris Brown
39.(47) Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
Apparently written about Whitney Houston and I think he was waiting for
her to fall into his arms, and wasn't actually being prophetic! Sampled
at least twice in the noughties (of which, goodbye to them tonight!)
Post by Chris Brown
40.(35) Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra - Minnie The Moocher
Was this featured in a film or was that later? OK song.
Post by Chris Brown
41.(45) Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
Poor follow up to Girl You Know It's True.
Post by Chris Brown
42.(37) George Michael - Kissing A Fool
OK song, like Michael Jackson he seemed to want to release all his album
tracks as singles but at least at this point he gave up.
Post by Chris Brown
43.(51) George Van Dusen - It's Party Time Again
Nope, don't recall this.
Post by Chris Brown
44.(44) Yazz - Stand Up For Your Love Rights
Not that good but I didn't care too much for her music.
Post by Chris Brown
45.(41) Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
Very good song from a decent album. Another CD that was played to death
on those pesky new CD jukeboxes.
Post by Chris Brown
46.(49) Bobby McFerrin - Thinking About Your Body
I detested this song and it hasn't improved with age.
Post by Chris Brown
47.(42) Salt-N-Pepa - Twist And Shout
Strange song for S&P to cover but it sort of works.
Post by Chris Brown
48.(48) Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
More rubbish from pop poppet era Kylie.
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine/Jealous Guy
Another pointless re-issue of Imagine. I think Happy Xmas was on the
single too.
Post by Chris Brown
50.(43) The Pogues - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
I owned their 1988 album but hardly ever played it as I wasn't that
impressed with it. I assume this was on there as I can vaguely remember
it though I'm sure I didn't care much for it.
Post by Chris Brown
51.(58) Bobby Brown - My Prerogative
52.(55) Boney M - Mary's Boy Child (Megamix)
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
I remember this being played to death in 1988. Since then it has become
a Christmas standard and a song to avoid. This year I managed to
successfully avoid it all through December until I switched on the top
40 on Sunday!
Post by Chris Brown
54.(59) Sandra - Everlasting Love {re-release}
The voice of Enigma, Sandra being the wife of the man behind Enigma,
Michael Cretu. She doesn't appear in the Sadness video, that was a model.
Post by Chris Brown
55.(54) Wee Papa Girl Rappers - Soulmate
56.(50) Mista E - Don't Believe The Hype
57.(52) Breathe - How Can I Fall
58.(57) Climie Fisher - Love Like A River
59.(70) Enya - Orinoco Flow
December 31 each year Radio 1 used to do a Newsbeat round up of the year
with music from the year accompanying the stories of the year. I thought
they overstepped the mark a bit when, during the 1988 review, they
followed the story about the Piper Alpha oil rig disaster by playing the
chorus of Orinoco Flow "sail away, sail away, sail away..." Not the most
sensible thing in the world to do.
Post by Chris Brown
60.(67) The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe {re-issue}
I'd bought the original back in 1974, this was a cash-in after the
success after being used in a commercial of "He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother"
Post by Chris Brown
61.(53) T'Pau - Road To Our Dream
62.(56) The Pasadenas - Enchanted Lady
63.(64) Belinda Carlisle - Love Never Dies
64.(72) Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant
Good rocking song!
Post by Chris Brown
65.(66) London Boys - Requiem
66.(68) Fleetwood Mac - As Long As You Follow
67.(65) Buddy Holly - True Love Ways {re-issue}
68.(60) Brother Beyond - He Ain't No Competition
69.(76) Raze - Break 4 Love
The song that spawned a thousand copycats including If Only I Could by
Sydney Youngblood a year later.
Post by Chris Brown
70.(63) Yello - Tied Up
71.(62) D Mob Featuring Gary Haisman - We Call It Acieed
It all seems so tame now but the fuss made over this record at the time
was immense. Dreadful song though.
Post by Chris Brown
72.(RE) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - 1-2-3
73.(71) Robert Palmer - She Makes My Day
Quite liked this one.
Post by Chris Brown
74.(NE) Kool And The Gang - Celebration '88
75.(80) Steve Earle - Johnny Come Lately
76.(NE) Chris De Burgh - Tender Hands
77.(78) Truth - Open Our Eyes
78.(75) Baby Ford - Chikki Chikki Ahh Ahh
79.(RE) Transvision Vamp - Sister Moon
80.(100)Smith And Mighty - Walk On
81.(81) Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time
82.(RE) Erasure - A Little Respect
83.(RE) Royal House - Can You Party
84.(85) Nat King Cole - Unforgettable {re-issue}
85.(RE) Marillion - Freaks (Live)
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
87.(RE) Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Another 2 years before it would make it big.
Post by Chris Brown
89.(89) Maurice - This Is Acid
90.(RE) Total Contrast - Waiting In Vain
91.(88) Star Turn On 45 (Pints) - Christmas Party
92.(RE) U2 - Desire
93.(98) Jan Hammer - The Runner
94.(87) Ruby Turner And Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
95.(RE) The Christians - Harvest For The World
96.(RE) Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle/Nightrain
97.(84) Blow - Change
98.(83) Dame Edna Everage - Theme From 'Neighbours'
I dread to think what this version sounded like!
Post by Chris Brown
99.(RE) Bros - I Quit
100.(N) 2 Brave - Stop That Girl
Chris
Paul Hyett
2010-01-01 07:50:18 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
and this was probably even worse. Came very close to being the first
million seller for over 3 years but just fell short.
Maybe it's passed that mark now, though?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
I remember this being played to death in 1988. Since then it has become
a Christmas standard and a song to avoid. This year I managed to
successfully avoid it all through December until I switched on the top
40 on Sunday!
I take it you didn't expect it to re-enter this Xmas...
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
Robbie
I was completely surprised that it made the top 40.
Chris Brown
2010-01-01 17:29:30 UTC
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
and this was probably even worse. Came very close to being the first
million seller for over 3 years but just fell short.
Maybe it's passed that mark now, though?
I suppose it might have but I wouldn't bank on it.
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
I remember this being played to death in 1988. Since then it has become a
Christmas standard and a song to avoid. This year I managed to
successfully avoid it all through December until I switched on the top 40
on Sunday!
I take it you didn't expect it to re-enter this Xmas...
I certainly didn't, not after it missed out last time.

Chris
Chris Brown
2010-01-03 17:53:33 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Dreadful song
I was reading an interview with one of the writers the other day and he
explained that it was originally written ironically.
But Cliff obviously either didn't realise or didn't care.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
03. (3) Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
[Stop!; The Hardest Part; Knocking On Your Door; She Won't Be Home]
I bought this EP. Stop! is probably one of their best singles.
I think it might be actually.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
aka the Neighbour's wedding theme, meaning Neighbours related nonsense
accounted for 40% of the top 5.
I presume it was around this time.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
05. (7) Status Quo - Burning Bridges (On And Off And On Again)
Topical as the main two have been awarded OBE's. I'm surprised it's taken
this long.
Maybe it was because of all the drugs business?
Post by Robbie
One of their more memorable later hits and one that they
reworked in 1994 with the Manchester United football team as Come On You
Reds.
I wonder if they regretted putting Mike Tyson on the front?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
Excellent club / house song. One of the best (along with Big Fun) of this
era, which was of course the era of smiley faces and acid house.
But this seemed to be at the less smiley-face end of it so to speak, and
more of a normal song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
08. (6) Bros - Cat Among The Pigeons/Silent Night
OK song (the A side),
I've pretty much forgotten it.
Post by Robbie
the AA side (Silent Night) was torture.
I do remember this one though. They thought it was really good.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
09.(15) The Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco
From Buster. Not very good.
With hindsight you can really hear the influence of Phil Collins.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
I think this was from Buster too. Not good either.
Probably still better than that version of 'Groovy Kind Of Love'.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
Revived thanks to Philip Schofield and his right hand puppet, Gordon the
Gopher. I didn't care much for this remix, preferring the original version.
Last big hit on the Pye label, IIRC.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (9) U2 - Angel Of Harlem
A sort of Christmas related song.
Stretching a point a little.
Post by Robbie
Better than Desire.
And recently revivied on X-Factor, of course.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Not too bad a song.
Very odd, with hindsight.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14.(19) Kim Wilde - Four Letter Word
OK song. Not a patch on You Came though, but it was nice to see Kim back
in the charts and back on TOTP.
I guess that title's meant to be a pun of sorts.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17.(11) New Order - Fine Time
Is this the one that was used on a TV drama programme (with Maggie
somebody or other) a few years later or am I thinking of another of
theirs?
I wouldn't know of course, but it doesn't seem the most obvious one to use.
Post by Robbie
Either way, not too bad.
Not a big favourite of mine I must admit.
Post by Robbie
Their 4th top 20 hit in a row, the best they ever managed.
And they were about to have their first Number One album with Technique (a
word in the lyrics of this song, of course).
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18.(20) A-ha - You Are The One
They were pretty much running out of ideas by now but this wasn't their
worst.
I don't remember it at all.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
Poor song that was neither funny nor interesting!
I really liked it then (I was ten) and even made up my own versions of it
about other professions. You're all glad I wasn't on the internet then,
aren't you?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
22.(18) Robin Beck - First Time
The former number one and adapted from the Coca Cola advert. Not bad to be
honest.
Not really good either though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
24.(16) Bananarama - Nathan Jones
This was OK but they were struggling now and had long since sold their
souls to SAW.
IIRC, this hit meant they'd broken some record previously held by the
Supremes, and with a Supremes song to boot. My Mum was quite annoyed, which
was presumably the intention.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
26.(17) Bomb The Bass Featuring Maureen - Say A Little Prayer
Not bad.
Dated now, but OK.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
28.(32) Annie Lennox And Al Green - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Didn't care much for this.
I can't remember now who did the original. Except that it wasn't them.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
29.(23) Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
Another album (New Jersey?) that I remember on the CD jukeboxes from back
then.
That's the chap. Oddly, no top 10 hits from that one.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
30.(22) Chris De Burgh - Missing You
I'm certainly not missing this! His second best selling single and one of
only two top 10 hits he had.
Even drippier than the John Waite song. And that takes some doing.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
31.(33) Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care
On the rebound due to the sudden death of Roy Orbison a few weeks earlier.
Not too bad a song
Their only Top 40 hit (as a unit - of course they'd all had some in other
guises) though. I bought the re-release a couple of years ago.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
33.(26) Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices
I've mentioned before that I've never been much of a Pet Shop Boys fan and
like many other singles they released I didn't care much for this.
Unfortunately Radio 1 loved them so like many other PSB's releases from
this era I had to suffer hearing it almost every day.
I remember somebody at my school managed to learn all the words to this.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35.(30) Alexander O'Neal - Christmas Song/Thank You For A Good Year
Not the most inspired of covers of the song Nat King Cole made his own. (I
note Natalie is one place higher on this chart!). May have been a bigger
hit had Die Hard been on UK release - the song in its NKC version is heard
at the end of the film and though it was already released in the US it
didn't appear in the UK until February 1989.
That wouldn't be allowed now.
I presume 'Thank You For A Good Year' was supposed to be some sort of New
Year standard.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
37.(34) The Beach Boys - Kokomo
Awful song by a group that I had little time for to start with.
And as a fan, I naturally hate it as well. Kind of their 'I Just Called To
Say I Love You', although it wasn't even that big a hit here.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
39.(47) Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
Apparently written about Whitney Houston and I think he was waiting for
her to fall into his arms, and wasn't actually being prophetic!
Although Boy Meets Girl were married to each other at the time.
Post by Robbie
Sampled at
least twice in the noughties (of which, goodbye to them tonight!)
Three times, if you count Mylo.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
40.(35) Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra - Minnie The Moocher
Was this featured in a film or was that later?
Well the song certainly has been many a time. I don't know about this
version though.
Post by Robbie
OK song.
Post by Chris Brown
45.(41) Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
Very good song from a decent album. Another CD that was played to death on
those pesky new CD jukeboxes.
Sounds unbelievably 80s though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
46.(49) Bobby McFerrin - Thinking About Your Body
I detested this song and it hasn't improved with age.
I don't remember this but it's not an appealing image.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine/Jealous Guy
Another pointless re-issue of Imagine.
There was a faint semblance of a point this time, because the Imagine
soundtrack had been released a few weeks earlier. I'm not sure when the film
was actually released. And at least 'Jealous Guy' did better than the first
time it came out.
Post by Robbie
I think Happy Xmas was on the
single too.
Yes, it was on the 12".
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
50.(43) The Pogues - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
I owned their 1988 album but hardly ever played it as I wasn't that
impressed with it. I assume this was on there as I can vaguely remember it
though I'm sure I didn't care much for it.
Apparently it wasn't and indeed not on any of the other albums either. It
doesn't even seem to be on any of the best-ofs.
Not to be confused with the identically-titled song by The Wedding Present.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
53.(61) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
I remember this being played to death in 1988.
And this was still as high as it got.
Post by Robbie
Since then it has become a
Christmas standard and a song to avoid. This year I managed to
successfully avoid it all through December until I switched on the top 40
on Sunday!
I know what you mean.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
57.(52) Breathe - How Can I Fall
The band who did 'Hands To Heaven'. Doing a song that isn't 'Hands To
Heaven'.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
59.(70) Enya - Orinoco Flow
December 31 each year Radio 1 used to do a Newsbeat round up of the year
with music from the year accompanying the stories of the year. I thought
they overstepped the mark a bit when, during the 1988 review, they
followed the story about the Piper Alpha oil rig disaster by playing the
chorus of Orinoco Flow "sail away, sail away, sail away..." Not the most
sensible thing in the world to do.
Um, no.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
66.(68) Fleetwood Mac - As Long As You Follow
New track from their Greatest Hits. A bit bland.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
67.(65) Buddy Holly - True Love Ways {re-issue}
There must have been some reason for this... it's a few months early for the
thirtieth anniversary of him dying.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
71.(62) D Mob Featuring Gary Haisman - We Call It Acieed
It all seems so tame now but the fuss made over this record at the time
was immense.
He was very insistent about it not having anything to do with drugs.
Post by Robbie
Dreadful song though.
The record company wouldn't budget for a full-length video, apparently.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
75.(80) Steve Earle - Johnny Come Lately
Out of place a bit here.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
84.(85) Nat King Cole - Unforgettable {re-issue}
Speaking of odd reissues... I know he had the Christmas album in the chart,
but this isn't exactly a Christmas song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
At least I know there was a Greatest Hits album.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Another 2 years before it would make it big.
Still a couple of weeks off entering the Top 75.
Apparently Lee Mavers never needs to work again.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
94.(87) Ruby Turner And Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
Also not to be confused with the Wedding Present song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
98.(83) Dame Edna Everage - Theme From 'Neighbours'
I dread to think what this version sounded like!
Or who could possibly have thought this was a good idea.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2010-01-03 18:50:21 UTC
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:53:33 -0000, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Dreadful song
I was reading an interview with one of the writers the other day and he
explained that it was originally written ironically.
But Cliff obviously either didn't realise or didn't care.
According to Wikipedia (which cites the BBC website), that's only
partly true. The song was originally written for a musical, and the
original lyrics were, indeed, satirical. But it had already morphed
into a less ironic version by the time Cliff first heard it, and he
(with the permission of the original composers) changed it further to
create an entirely straight version.

Mark
Moor
2010-01-01 17:45:57 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
He got a ot of #1s !
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
Kylie & Jason beaten by Cliff Richard ? wow ! ^_^;;;
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
I remember this ! Quite good : )
Post by Chris Brown
07.(13) Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
Nice debut album. Nice video. Nice her ; >>>
Post by Chris Brown
08. (6) Bros - Cat Among The Pigeons/Silent Night
Ohhh, the Bros Xmas single !!! Not Luke is more into acting...
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
I think this was included in a OST album...
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
MJ is always part of your chart : ) The speeded version of the video
is one of the worst thing ever and including it in dvd collection is
almost a crime !
Post by Chris Brown
14.(19) Kim Wilde - Four Letter Word
Hey Mr Headache, You came and then this, if I remember it correctly...
Post by Chris Brown
16.(12) Rick Astley - Take Me To Your Heart
2nd single off 2nd album, when he started to be a part of the creating
process... the 3rd single was written by him. I think he was drunk
while filming this video.
Post by Chris Brown
18.(20) A-ha - You Are The One
2nd single off Stay on these roads... too pop, I think.
Post by Chris Brown
20.(36) Enya - Evening Falls
I really liked this.
Post by Chris Brown
24.(16) Bananarama - Nathan Jones
Quite good, but not that good... Never liked the title !
Post by Chris Brown
25.(25) INXS - Need You Tonight
Why oh why did he do that ? The musical scene is less interesting
without Michael Hutchens.
Post by Chris Brown
28.(32) Annie Lennox And Al Green - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Another Xmas single : >>>
Post by Chris Brown
29.(23) Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
What about the new one ? born to be wild or something ? They are quite
similar, and not only in the title...
Post by Chris Brown
32.(38) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
The other way of the Xmas single... oh well, this is more a Dec 31
party song..
Post by Chris Brown
33.(26) Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices
The "imperial" phase of Psb, as Neil Tennant calls it... The video is
simply great. And the album version is not so long : )))
Post by Chris Brown
39.(47) Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
Just found the album last year on tape and cd in a very short time...
Post by Chris Brown
41.(45) Milli Vanilli - Baby Don't Forget My Number
Their songs sounded more or less the same...
Post by Chris Brown
42.(37) George Michael - Kissing A Fool
The crooner song... : ) Michael Buble' will surely cover this, sooner
or later ; >
Post by Chris Brown
44.(44) Yazz - Stand Up For Your Love Rights
The same as Milli Vanilli, but she sounded fresh : ) Sooner or later
they'll release a proper collection : )
Post by Chris Brown
48.(48) Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
I know it's first album material, but not one of my fave Kylie single.
Ever.
Post by Chris Brown
51.(58) Bobby Brown - My Prerogative
Britney later covered this for her 1st GH...
Post by Chris Brown
54.(59) Sandra - Everlasting Love {re-release}
Very 80s !!! I saw a Sandra Patinum collection some weeks ago... and
it was a new release !!!
Post by Chris Brown
55.(54) Wee Papa Girl Rappers - Soulmate
Just remember another track of theirs... We rule ???
Post by Chris Brown
63.(64) Belinda Carlisle - Love Never Dies
Didn't know she released this... great ballad.
Post by Chris Brown
68.(60) Brother Beyond - He Ain't No Competition
More or less a SAW act.
Post by Chris Brown
72.(RE) Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine - 1-2-3
Another song good for parties...
Post by Chris Brown
79.(RE) Transvision Vamp - Sister Moon
I think from the 2nd album... What happened to Wendy James ???
Post by Chris Brown
81.(81) Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time
I think an Olympic theme song.
Post by Chris Brown
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Didn't know it was a song from The Las... First knew the Sixpence none
the reacher cover
Post by Chris Brown
99.(RE) Bros - I Quit
They waited another pair of album to..
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Cheers
Moor, thanx a lot and Happy New year !!! : )))
--
Questions of science, science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart [Coldplay - The Scientist]
Chris Brown
2010-01-02 00:33:37 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
He got a ot of #1s !
Yes, and this isn't even the worst one.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
Kylie & Jason beaten by Cliff Richard ? wow ! ^_^;;;
Yes. Pete Waterman has since claimed that it was because this was being
manufactured by EMI and they held back the stock to favour Cliff; at least
until after Christmas when Cliff would be out of the way.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
08. (6) Bros - Cat Among The Pigeons/Silent Night
Ohhh, the Bros Xmas single !!! Not Luke is more into acting...
Those stories about them reforming seem a bit dodgy.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Phil Collins - Two Hearts
I think this was included in a OST album...
Yes, it's from Buster.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
14.(19) Kim Wilde - Four Letter Word
Hey Mr Headache, You came and then this, if I remember it correctly...
I think that's right.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
16.(12) Rick Astley - Take Me To Your Heart
2nd single off 2nd album, when he started to be a part of the creating
process... the 3rd single was written by him. I think he was drunk
while filming this video.
Can you blame him?
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
24.(16) Bananarama - Nathan Jones
Quite good, but not that good... Never liked the title !
Well, it was a cover version, so I suppose they were stuck with it.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
25.(25) INXS - Need You Tonight
Why oh why did he do that ? The musical scene is less interesting
without Michael Hutchens.
Admittedly he wasn't at the peak of his powers.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
28.(32) Annie Lennox And Al Green - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Another Xmas single : >>>
IIRC from Scrooged. Which I've never seen.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
29.(23) Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby
What about the new one ? born to be wild or something ? They are quite
similar, and not only in the title...
I actually heard a bit of that. I tuned into Absolute and they played a
jingle that said "Discovering new music" followed by a DJ announcing the Bon
Jovi song.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
33.(26) Pet Shop Boys - Left To My Own Devices
The "imperial" phase of Psb, as Neil Tennant calls it...
I suppose it was just about ending now.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
42.(37) George Michael - Kissing A Fool
The crooner song... : ) Michael Buble' will surely cover this, sooner
or later ; >
I wouldn't be surprised.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
44.(44) Yazz - Stand Up For Your Love Rights
The same as Milli Vanilli, but she sounded fresh : ) Sooner or later
they'll release a proper collection : )
I thought there had been one before?
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
51.(58) Bobby Brown - My Prerogative
Britney later covered this for her 1st GH...
I presume she was trying to make a point.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
55.(54) Wee Papa Girl Rappers - Soulmate
Just remember another track of theirs... We rule ???
'Wee Rule' I think.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
79.(RE) Transvision Vamp - Sister Moon
I think from the 2nd album... What happened to Wendy James ???
She did that solo album with Elvis Costello. Wikipedia says she's done one
that's waiting to be released.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
81.(81) Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time
I think an Olympic theme song.
I didn't know that, but it fits.
Post by Moor
Post by Chris Brown
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Didn't know it was a song from The Las... First knew the Sixpence none
the reacher cover
I think that was probably where a lot of people in America first heard it.
Unless they happened to have seen So I Married An Axe Murderer.

Chris
Jan Buxton
2010-01-03 23:11:07 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the
31st of December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit
this is a bit of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service
resumes a week tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and
pretend I was being deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly
half-way between 1967 and now.
Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the
news today.
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Rather nauseous, but the lyrics seem permanently lodged in my brain.
Post by Chris Brown
02. (2) Kylie And Jason - Especially For You
Even more nausea inducing, rubbish.
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
According to the youtube comments, used on Gavin and Stacey on NYD, so
an accidentally topical selection. Rubbish, though.
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
Good record.
Post by Chris Brown
07.(13) Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
Another good record.
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
Unneeded remix. I'd like to think that there are a select band of people
that immediately think of Seinfeld when this song is mentioned.
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Good Jacko track.
Post by Chris Brown
17.(11) New Order - Fine Time
Not that keen, own it on Technique.
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
My parents always used to sing the chorus to this, and I wondered where
it came from. Well now I know. I like this sort of thing, although no
doubt others won't.
Post by Chris Brown
31.(33) Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care
Good record.
Post by Chris Brown
37.(34) The Beach Boys - Kokomo
A little too MOR for my taste.
Post by Chris Brown
45.(41) Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
Pretty good.
Post by Chris Brown
47.(42) Salt-N-Pepa - Twist And Shout
Good record, I liked Salt-N-Pepa.
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine/Jealous Guy
Released because of the documentary I presume.
Post by Chris Brown
56.(50) Mista E - Don't Believe The Hype
Also kind of topical with all the Steve Coogan stuff on BBC2 over christmas.
Post by Chris Brown
82.(RE) Erasure - A Little Respect
Properly good Erasure song.
Post by Chris Brown
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
Properly good Dire Straits song.
Post by Chris Brown
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Great song. Own it on The La's.
Post by Chris Brown
96.(RE) Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle/Nightrain
Back when GnR were brilliant. Own them on Appetite For Destruction.
Jan
Chris Brown
2010-01-05 22:12:48 UTC
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
I'm posting this slightly earlier than usual because the date is the 31st
of December and it'd look a bit wrong otherwise. I have to admit this is
a bit of a rush job anyway to fill the gap before normal service resumes
a week tomorrow. So consider this another holiday special and pretend I
was being deliberately clever picking a year that was exactly half-way
between 1967 and now.
Making that direct comparison, this chart does seem a lot more openly
Christmassy than the 1967 one, and there are couple of tracks that are
topical in one way or another. In fact there's one act who are in the
news today.
Thanks to Chartstats
http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19881231
01. (1) Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine
Rather nauseous, but the lyrics seem permanently lodged in my brain.
Amazingly, not his worst Christmas single.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
04. (4) Angry Anderson - Suddenly
According to the youtube comments, used on Gavin and Stacey on NYD, so an
accidentally topical selection.
That'll be why it's recharting.
Post by Jan Buxton
Rubbish, though.
Of course.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
06. (5) Inner City - Good Life
Good record.
Yup.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
07.(13) Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
Another good record.
Didn't fully get it at the time, but it is isn't it?
"The guy's a gigolo man!"
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
11.(10) Petula Clark - Downtown '88
Unneeded remix. I'd like to think that there are a select band of people
that immediately think of Seinfeld when this song is mentioned.
People who didn't need to sleep so they could actually watch it?
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Good Jacko track.
Mind you, if he's such a smooth criminal why does he leave those bloodstains
on the carpet?
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
17.(11) New Order - Fine Time
Not that keen, own it on Technique.
No, I suppose it was kind of in the right place at the right time to be one
of their biggest hits. I prefer 'Round And Round' from the same album.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
21.(39) A Tribe Of Toffs - John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)
My parents always used to sing the chorus to this, and I wondered where it
came from. Well now I know. I like this sort of thing, although no doubt
others won't.
I think it had about the right level of success (if not from their POV). If
it had been really really big it would surely have become more annoying.
One-hit-wonder connections game: the guitarist was later in Ruth with Matt
Hales, who subsequently recorded as Aqualung.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
37.(34) The Beach Boys - Kokomo
A little too MOR for my taste.
And also very Eighties now.
Co-written by Doris Day's son, you know.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
49.(46) John Lennon - Imagine/Jealous Guy
Released because of the documentary I presume.
Yep. I've got the album of that.
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
56.(50) Mista E - Don't Believe The Hype
Also kind of topical with all the Steve Coogan stuff on BBC2 over christmas.
Was he off his face?
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
86.(RE) Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing {re-issue}
Properly good Dire Straits song.
Yeah. Who let that happen, eh?
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
88.(90) The La's - There She Goes
Great song. Own it on The La's.
Although strictly speaking this original version is only on a Japanese
re-issue. I think I did almost buy that but I thought four copies might be a
bit much.

Chris
Jan Buxton
2010-01-06 23:26:59 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
And those with access to Paramount Comedy Channel or DVD boxsets.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
13.(14) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Good Jacko track.
Mind you, if he's such a smooth criminal why does he leave those
bloodstains on the carpet?
Are you looking for logic in a pop song?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Jan Buxton
Post by Chris Brown
56.(50) Mista E - Don't Believe The Hype
Also kind of topical with all the Steve Coogan stuff on BBC2 over christmas.
Was he off his face?
I couldn't say, but he did do the Prince Charles impression on this record.
--
Jan