Happy ever after in an old chart from 1969
Chris Brown
2019-01-13 19:04:49 UTC
I pulled this chart out because Dean Ford, the singer of Marmalade, died
just after Christmas. So it seems fitting to do the week they were at
the top of the chart (according to Record Retailer).
This week was also the 50th anniversary of George Harrison leaving the
Beatles and whilst they're not in the chart in person, there are a lot
of records you can link them to. And this was the 10th anniversary of
Motown who are quite well represented here.

Playlists are here. I did fairly well but somehow the Toys song was only
on Spotify in Italian.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/7gv8DZ91YjTusTbodiE8Oc?si=hLqYQz4uT7GPk2sDlMpu9g
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpO25YUMAo1v2BOY7AWaT6h

Chart dated: 18th January 1969

1. (3) Marmalade Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
2. (4) Fleetwood Mac Albatross
3. (2) Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup
4. (1) The Scaffold Lily The Pink
5. (10) Stevie Wonder For Once In My Life
6. (8) Herman's Hermits Something's Happening
7. (5) Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band I'm The Urban Spaceman
8. (6) Love Sculpture Sabre Dance
9. (7) Nina Simone Ain't Got No/I Got Life/Do What You Gotta Do
10. (12) Judy Clay And William Bell Private Number
11. (9) Dusty Springfield Son Of A Preacher Man
12. (23) Manfred Mann Fox On The Run
13. (29) The Move Blackberry Way
14. (13) Des O'Connor 1-2-3 O'Leary
15. (16) Hugo Montenegro The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
16. (22) Edwin Starr Stop Her On Sight (SOS)/Headline News
17. (15) Diana Ross And The Supremes Love Child
18. (11) Lulu I'm A Tiger
19. (14) The Gun Race With The Devil
20. (17) Tom Jones A Minute Of Your Time
21. (18) Malcolm Roberts May I Have The Next Dream With You
22. (21) Jeannie C Riley Harper Valley PTA
23. (39) Johnny Nash You Got Soul
24. (30) Canned Heat Going Up The Country
25. (25) Donald Peers Please Don't Go
26. (24) Bedrocks Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
27. (20) The Isley Brothers This Old Heart Of Mine {1968 re-release}
28. (32) Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus Quick Joey Small (Run
Joey Run)
29. (31) Simon And Garfunkel Mrs Robinson (EP)
[Mrs. Robinson; April Come She Will; Scarborough Fair/Canticle; The
Sound Of Silence]
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
31. (46) Wilson Pickett Hey Jude
32. (40) Jethro Tull Love Story
33. (45) Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell You're All I Need To Get By
34. (33) The Beach Boys Bluebirds Over The Mountain
35. (NE) Martha Reeves And The Vandellas Dancing In The Street {1969}
36. (36) Danny La Rue On Mother Kelly's Doorstep
37. (34) The Casuals Toy
38. (NE) Nina Simone To Love Somebody
39. (26) Cliff Richard And The Shadows Don't Forget To Catch Me
40. (19) Bandwagon Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache
41. (37) Donovan Atlantis
42. (27) Val Doonican If I Knew Then What I Know Now
43. (28) The Turtles Elenore
44. (RE) Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You
45. (NE) The Isley Brothers I Guess I'll Always Love You {1969}
46. (NE) Eric Burdon And The Animals Ring Of Fire
47. (NE) Tymes People
48. (NE) Cream White Room
49. (43) The Four Tops I'm In A Different World
50. (35) Mary Hopkin Those Were The Days

Chris
James Heaton
2019-01-13 20:53:40 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I pulled this chart out because Dean Ford, the singer of Marmalade, died
just after Christmas. So it seems fitting to do the week they were at the
top of the chart (according to Record Retailer).
This week was also the 50th anniversary of George Harrison leaving the
Beatles and whilst they're not in the chart in person, there are a lot of
records you can link them to. And this was the 10th anniversary of Motown
who are quite well represented here.
Playlists are here. I did fairly well but somehow the Toys song was only
on Spotify in Italian.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/7gv8DZ91YjTusTbodiE8Oc?si=hLqYQz4uT7GPk2sDlMpu9g
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpO25YUMAo1v2BOY7AWaT6h
Chart dated: 18th January 1969
2. (4) Fleetwood Mac Albatross
Every time I hear this it makes me think of Saundersfoot beach on a sunny
day, not too hot.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (6) Love Sculpture Sabre Dance
I had somehow never heard this until NYD when Owen Money played it on Radio
Wales. Absolutely amazing track, I love the way Dave Edmunds parodies the
style of other guitarists in different places. Just a 3 piece group.
Youtube their version of Summertime to see what they could do vocally,
Edmunds with a soft and breathy voice quite unlike 'I hear you knocking'.
Next time I'm on Amazon I'll be getting something of theirs!

2 instrumentals in the top 10 must be fairly rare?
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) Judy Clay And William Bell Private Number
Iconic Mowtown track with a singer who died early
Post by Chris Brown
11. (9) Dusty Springfield Son Of A Preacher Man
And another iconic track with a singer who died early. Big fan of Dusty.
Joss Stone murdered this at the Brits some years ago, the tempo was too
quick for her. She sung the final verse acapella at her own pace and
sounded amazing.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (29) The Move Blackberry Way
Wayne had a nicer voice overall, but Wood had more depth and anguish in his,
which suits this dark and deep track.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (16) Hugo Montenegro The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
3 in the top 15...
Post by Chris Brown
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
The Test Match Special theme. I think it was originally used for a W Indies
tour in the early 70s by tv, and stuck. Transferred to radio when tv lost
the rights in the late 90s.
Post by Chris Brown
33. (45) Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell You're All I Need To Get By
Still can't hear this without thinking of the Freeview ad, my partner was
working for them at the time., although this was for general market and she
was on the help scheme.

Halfway through the campaign Maggie Jones (Coronation St) died and
everything had to be pulled and reprinted with the replacement - racking our
brains we can't be sure who it was but think it might have been Maggie
Philbin.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (34) The Casuals Toy
Didn't realise they did anything other than Jesamine, which is a favourite
of a restaurateur acquaintance of mine.

James
Chris Brown
2019-01-17 22:56:25 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Never been there but it's a good sunny day song.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
8. (6) Love Sculpture Sabre Dance
I had somehow never heard this until NYD when Owen Money played it on
Radio Wales.
That is a genuine coincidence.

I presume he just played this single edit, not the whole 11 minutes?
Post by James Heaton
Absolutely amazing track, I love the way Dave Edmunds
parodies the style of other guitarists in different places.  Just a 3
piece group. Youtube their version of Summertime to see what they could
do vocally, Edmunds with a soft and breathy voice quite unlike 'I hear
you knocking'. Next time I'm on Amazon I'll be getting something of theirs!
2 instrumentals in the top 10 must be fairly rare?
By this late in the Sixties, I would expect so.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) Judy Clay And William Bell Private Number
Iconic Mowtown track with a singer who died early
Technically Stax rather than Motown.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
11. (9) Dusty Springfield Son Of A Preacher Man
And another iconic track with a singer who died early.
Almost 20 years ago now.
Post by James Heaton
Big fan of
Dusty. Joss Stone murdered this at the Brits some years ago, the tempo
was too quick for her.  She sung the final verse acapella at her own
pace and sounded amazing.
This more recent version is nearer the original tempo and key and is
definitely better although personally I don't think her vocal approach
suits the song quite as well.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
13. (29) The Move Blackberry Way
Wayne had a nicer voice overall, but Wood had more depth and anguish in
his, which suits this dark and deep track.
I wonder if that's how they decided it?
It does look a bit odd sometimes when you see footage of the songs Roy
Wood sings because Carl Wayne doesn't have much to do. At least he gets
to shout "ooh" on Fire Brigade.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
15. (16) Hugo Montenegro The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
3 in the top 15...
Instrumental film themes don't really chart now. If they even exist.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
The Test Match Special theme.  I think it was originally used for a W
Indies tour in the early 70s by tv, and stuck.
That seems logical.
Post by James Heaton
Transferred to radio
when tv lost the rights in the late 90s.
Must be one of those pieces of music a lot more people know than could name.

And yet another instrumental in the Top 30.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
33. (45) Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell You're All I Need To Get By
Still can't hear this without thinking of the Freeview ad, my partner
was working for them at the time., although this was for general market
and she was on the help scheme.
Halfway through the campaign Maggie Jones (Coronation St) died and
everything had to be pulled and reprinted with the replacement - racking
our brains we can't be sure who it was but think it might have been
Maggie Philbin.
Apparently this one is from 2014 so I think after she died?

Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
37. (34) The Casuals Toy
Didn't realise they did anything other than Jesamine, which is a
favourite of a restaurateur acquaintance of mine.
Very big in Italy apparently, but this was their only other UK hit. And
I suppose most people only knew about the Top 30 chart in those days .

Chris
James Heaton
2019-01-18 14:16:00 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Yes the 4ish mins version, he said he was getting producer earache for
playing a speed rock instrumental when most listeners had a headache!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
33. (45) Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell You're All I Need To Get By
Still can't hear this without thinking of the Freeview ad, my partner was
working for them at the time., although this was for general market and
she was on the help scheme.
Halfway through the campaign Maggie Jones (Coronation St) died and
everything had to be pulled and reprinted with the replacement - racking
our brains we can't be sure who it was but think it might have been
Maggie Philbin.
Apparently this one is from 2014 so I think after she died?
http://youtu.be/Mp8-jITevuw
Oh, that was some time after my partner was made redundant along with most
of her division! Mind you possible blessing in disguise as the employer by
then was, after some takeovers, Carillion.

Shows how time plays tricks.

James
Chris Brown
2019-01-20 18:25:22 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Ha, fair point.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
33. (45) Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell You're All I Need To Get By
Still can't hear this without thinking of the Freeview ad, my partner
was working for them at the time., although this was for general
market and she was on the help scheme.
Halfway through the campaign Maggie Jones (Coronation St) died and
everything had to be pulled and reprinted with the replacement -
racking our brains we can't be sure who it was but think it might
have been Maggie Philbin.
Apparently this one is from 2014 so I think after she died?
http://youtu.be/Mp8-jITevuw
Oh, that was some time after my partner was made redundant along with
most of her division!  Mind you possible blessing in disguise as the
employer by then was, after some takeovers, Carillion.
Ouch!
Post by James Heaton
Shows how time plays tricks.
Oh right, I thought you meant they'd been using that song in multiple
ads over the years.

Chris
Rink
2021-08-02 13:05:39 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Thank you for this wonderfull Cat & Budgie Ad !!
It has not run in The Netherlands of course.

Rink

Vidcapper
2019-01-14 06:48:29 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 18th January 1969
1. (3) Marmalade Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
2. (4) Fleetwood Mac Albatross
3. (2) Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup
4. (1) The Scaffold Lily The Pink
29. (31) Simon And Garfunkel Mrs Robinson (EP)
I know only one of these outside the T4 (not counting covers, of course)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2019-01-14 22:45:40 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 18th January 1969
1.     (3)    Marmalade    Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
2.     (4)    Fleetwood Mac    Albatross
3.     (2)    Foundations    Build Me Up Buttercup
4.     (1)    The Scaffold    Lily The Pink
29.    (31)    Simon And Garfunkel    Mrs Robinson (EP)
I know only one of these outside the T4 (not counting covers, of course)
Actually I think quite a few of these are the most famous versions,
apart from:

26. (24) Bedrocks Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da [obviously]
31. (46) Wilson Pickett Hey Jude
46. (NE) Eric Burdon And The Animals Ring Of Fire
47. (NE) Tymes People

I'm refusing to acknowledge the possibility that people think Mrs
Robinson is a Lemonheads song, or I Put A Spell On You is a Sonique song.

Love Story by Jethro Tull is unsurprisingly not the same song that was a
hit for Taylor Swift.

Chris
Robbie
2019-01-20 19:11:00 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 18th January 1969
1. (3) Marmalade Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
A poor number 1 simply because I've never liked the song.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (4) Fleetwood Mac Albatross
On the other hand this one is good. It would reach number 1 and when
re-issued 4 years later it peaked at number 2. Mike Vernon, the
producer, was a member of Rocky Sharpe & The Replays who were in the
charts a decade later (and now 40 years ago) with 'Rama Lama Ding Dong'.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (2) Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup
A song that was played quite frequently on the radio in the 70s. OK in
its own way.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (1) The Scaffold Lily The Pink
Another dreadful song. And another with Beatles connections.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (10) Stevie Wonder For Once In My Life
Stevie was really getting into his stride now and this marks the
possible start of his imperial phase.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (8) Herman's Hermits Something's Happening
One I remember from being young. I quite like this one.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (5) Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band I'm The Urban Spaceman
I thought this was from earlier than 1969. Not that good.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (6) Love Sculpture Sabre Dance
Don't recall this one at all.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (7) Nina Simone Ain't Got No/I Got Life/Do What You Gotta Do
Classic Nina Simone song.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) Judy Clay And William Bell Private Number
Typical late 60s R&B / soul.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (9) Dusty Springfield Son Of A Preacher Man
I'm always partial to a bit of Dusty and this is a good one.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (23) Manfred Mann Fox On The Run
Not The Sweet song. This one sounds vaguely familiar.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (29) The Move Blackberry Way
A great The Move record.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Des O'Connor 1-2-3 O'Leary
... makes this song sound dreary. His last top 10 hit until December 1986.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (16) Hugo Montenegro The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Great film soundtrack theme. I think this dates back to 1966 but it
sounds even older.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Edwin Starr Stop Her On Sight (SOS)/Headline News
Another classic late 60s soul song (A side). I'm not familiar with the
AA side.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (15) Diana Ross And The Supremes Love Child
For the time the lyrics were quite eye opening. A great song.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (11) Lulu I'm A Tiger
Nope, don't recall.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (14) The Gun Race With The Devil
Another I vaguely recognise.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Tom Jones A Minute Of Your Time
And another I don't recall at all.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (31) Simon And Garfunkel Mrs Robinson (EP)
[Mrs. Robinson; April Come She Will; Scarborough Fair/Canticle; The
Sound Of Silence]
Three weeks later this would jump to number 9 but then would vanish from
the chart the following week when BMRB started to compile the first
proper sales based chart. The reason for it vanishing was that EPs were
banned from the BMRB Singles chart even though there was no EP chart
compiled. They were allowed to chart by the mid 70s.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
I bought this back in 1980 when it was re-issued as the follow up to
'Green Onions'.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (36) Danny La Rue On Mother Kelly's Doorstep
I remember him performing this song on a number of TV programmes during
the 70s.
Post by Chris Brown
38. (NE) Nina Simone To Love Somebody
44. (RE) Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You
Three Nina Simone records on the chart.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Cream White Room
They were popular but I thought they were slightly overrated. I suppose
being classed as a supergroup helped with their popularity.
Post by Chris Brown
50. (35) Mary Hopkin Those Were The Days
Another Beatles tie-in, along with 'Hey Jude' by Wilson Pickett.

BREAKERS

b01 (NEW) REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE - Merrilee Rush (Bell 1041)
b02 (NEW) MEET ON THE LEDGE - Fairport Convention (Island WIP 6047)
b03 (NEW) PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG - Otis Redding (Atlantic 584234)
b04 (NEW) MOVE IN A LITTLE CLOSER BABY - Harmony Grass
b05 (NEW) YOU AIN'T LIVIN' TILL YOUR'E LOVIN - Marvin Gaye / Tammi
Terrell (Chart Entry 25-Jan-1969 at No. 48)
b06 (NEW) I'LL PICK A ROSE FOR MY ROSE - Marv Johnson (Chart Entry
25-Jan-1969 at No. 47)
b07 (b05) BABY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE - Web

A number of soul singles. And Fairport Convention almost scoring their
first hit single.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
--
------
Robbie
Chris Brown
2019-01-26 01:16:43 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 18th January 1969
1.     (3)    Marmalade    Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
A poor number 1 simply because I've never liked the song.
I don't even think this is the best version of it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2.     (4)    Fleetwood Mac    Albatross
On the other hand this one is good. It would reach number 1 and when
re-issued 4 years later it peaked at number 2. Mike Vernon, the
producer, was a member of Rocky Sharpe & The Replays who were in the
charts a decade later (and now 40 years ago) with 'Rama Lama Ding Dong'.
I didn't know that, although I did know ten years after that he was back
producing the first Roachford album.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3.     (2)    Foundations    Build Me Up Buttercup
A song that was played quite frequently on the radio in the 70s. OK in
its own way.
And indeed I heard it today. I don't like it as much as their other big
hit TBH.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4.     (1)    The Scaffold    Lily The Pink
Another dreadful song. And another with Beatles connections.
Mike McGear - the band Wings could have been.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (10)    Stevie Wonder    For Once In My Life
Stevie was really getting into his stride now and this marks the
possible start of his imperial phase.
Perhaps the point when he escaped the novelty tag?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6.     (8)    Herman's Hermits    Something's Happening
One I remember from being young. I quite like this one.
I don't think I'd ever heard it before.
It's OK but it sound much older than most of the rest of the chart.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7.     (5)    Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band    I'm The Urban Spaceman
I thought this was from earlier than 1969.
It did enter the chart in 1968, so you're technically right.
Post by Robbie
Not that good.
I've always liked it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.     (6)    Love Sculpture    Sabre Dance
Don't recall this one at all.
You might remember the tune though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9.     (7)    Nina Simone    Ain't Got No/I Got Life/Do What You Gotta Do
Classic Nina Simone song.
Or even two of them.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10.    (12)    Judy Clay And William Bell    Private Number
Typical late 60s R&B / soul.
Yeah, a bit of an odd thing to sing about.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11.     (9)    Dusty Springfield    Son Of A Preacher Man
I'm always partial to a bit of Dusty and this is a good one.
It is.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12.    (23)    Manfred Mann    Fox On The Run
Not The Sweet song. This one sounds vaguely familiar.
Not one of the Manfreds songs you hear nowadays.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13.    (29)    The Move    Blackberry Way
A great The Move record.
Definitely. Satisfyingly downbeat.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14.    (13)    Des O'Connor    1-2-3 O'Leary
... makes this song sound dreary. His last top 10 hit until December 1986.
That would be the version of Skye Boat Song that got an, er, interesting
reception on the TotP repeat.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15.    (16)    Hugo Montenegro    The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Great film soundtrack theme. I think this dates back to 1966 but it
sounds even older.
That's true, although I suppose film music isn't usually up-to-the-minute.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16.    (22)    Edwin Starr    Stop Her On Sight (SOS)/Headline News
Another classic late 60s soul song (A side). I'm not familiar with the
AA side.
The flipside is similar in style, though slightly less brilliant.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17.    (15)    Diana Ross And The Supremes    Love Child
For the time the lyrics were quite eye opening. A great song.
Strangely time-specific really: much earlier they wouldn't have got away
with it, but nowadays nobody uses that phrase.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18.    (11)    Lulu    I'm A Tiger
Nope, don't recall.
Very silly song. Not necessarily in a good way.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19.    (14)    The Gun    Race With The Devil
Another I vaguely recognise.
Adrian Gurvitz before he went to his attic.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20.    (17)    Tom Jones    A Minute Of Your Time
And another I don't recall at all.
Not his best, not his worst, but you never hear it now.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
29.    (31)    Simon And Garfunkel    Mrs Robinson (EP)
[Mrs. Robinson; April Come She Will; Scarborough Fair/Canticle; The
Sound Of Silence]
Three weeks later this would jump to number 9 but then would vanish from
the chart the following week when BMRB started to compile the first
proper sales based chart. The reason for it vanishing was that EPs were
banned from the BMRB Singles chart even though there was no EP chart
compiled. They were allowed to chart by the mid 70s.
Still are, in theory.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
30.    (38)    Booker T & the MG's    Soul Limbo
I bought this back in 1980 when it was re-issued as the follow up to
'Green Onions'.
Was that still before the cricket thing?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
36.    (36)    Danny La Rue    On Mother Kelly's Doorstep
I remember him performing this song on a number of TV programmes during
the 70s.
Presumably beyond the point where he was promoting the single.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
38.    (NE)    Nina Simone    To Love Somebody
44.    (RE)    Nina Simone    I Put A Spell On You
Three Nina Simone records on the chart.
I wonder if there was any relevance to that?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
48.    (NE)    Cream    White Room
They were popular but I thought they were slightly overrated. I suppose
being classed as a supergroup helped with their popularity.
Possibly so, even though I don't suppose any of them was really a
household name before Cream. I do think this is one of their better songs.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
50.    (35)    Mary Hopkin    Those Were The Days
Another Beatles tie-in, along with 'Hey Jude' by Wilson Pickett.
Plus the other version of 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da'. And the Bonzo Dog Band.
Post by Robbie
BREAKERS
b01 (NEW) REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE - Merrilee Rush (Bell 1041)
The singer who had the US hit with Angel Of The Morning. She'll be 75
years old by the time you read this.
Bit of an odd version.
Post by Robbie
b02 (NEW) MEET ON THE LEDGE - Fairport Convention (Island WIP 6047)
I've seen Richard Thompson perform this song live. It was great obviously.
Post by Robbie
b03 (NEW) PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG - Otis Redding (Atlantic 584234)
Live version.
Post by Robbie
b05 (NEW) YOU AIN'T LIVIN' TILL YOUR'E LOVIN - Marvin Gaye / Tammi
Terrell (Chart Entry 25-Jan-1969 at No. 48)
Not their best duet. I think somebody sampled it.
Post by Robbie
b06 (NEW) I'LL PICK A ROSE FOR MY ROSE - Marv Johnson (Chart Entry
25-Jan-1969 at No. 47)
One of the first Motown acts.
Post by Robbie
b07 (b05) BABY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE - Web
Another Mike Vernon production.
Chris
Robbie
2019-01-26 18:54:41 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (4) Fleetwood Mac Albatross
On the other hand this one is good. It would reach number 1 and when
re-issued 4 years later it peaked at number 2. Mike Vernon, the
producer, was a member of Rocky Sharpe & The Replays who were in the
charts a decade later (and now 40 years ago) with 'Rama Lama Ding Dong'.
I didn't know that, although I did know ten years after that he was back
producing the first Roachford album.
He was also a member of the Olympic Runners during the entire time the
group existed. When the group split he joined Rocky Sharpe & co. As did
fellow band member Pete "18 With A Bullet" Wingfield.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (1) The Scaffold Lily The Pink
Another dreadful song. And another with Beatles connections.
Mike McGear - the band Wings could have been.
Or as Alan Partridge once said "Wings? They're only the band The Beatles
could have been".
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (10) Stevie Wonder For Once In My Life
Stevie was really getting into his stride now and this marks the
possible start of his imperial phase.
Perhaps the point when he escaped the novelty tag?
Quite possibly.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (8) Herman's Hermits Something's Happening
One I remember from being young. I quite like this one.
I don't think I'd ever heard it before.
It's OK but it sound much older than most of the rest of the chart.
Yes it sounds like something from around 1962/3 or maybe even earlier.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (6) Love Sculpture Sabre Dance
Don't recall this one at all.
You might remember the tune though.
I do, just don't remember this version.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
I bought this back in 1980 when it was re-issued as the follow up to
'Green Onions'.
Was that still before the cricket thing?
It was already the cricket theme as I bought it because I loved the
music on the BBC coverage.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
36. (36) Danny La Rue On Mother Kelly's Doorstep
I remember him performing this song on a number of TV programmes
during the 70s.
Presumably beyond the point where he was promoting the single.
Indeed. I think it was the song he sung in most if not all of his
performances so in a way it's his signature tune.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
38. (NE) Nina Simone To Love Somebody
44. (RE) Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You
Three Nina Simone records on the chart.
I wonder if there was any relevance to that?
I've checked and she was on tour in the UK in December 1968 and January
1969 and made a few appearances on TV programmes as well as Top Of The Pops.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Cream White Room
They were popular but I thought they were slightly overrated. I
suppose being classed as a supergroup helped with their popularity.
Possibly so, even though I don't suppose any of them was really a
household name before Cream. I do think this is one of their better songs.
I agree it's one of their better singles but there isn't that many
decent ones to choose from. Their best is probably 'I Feel Free'.
The B side of 'White Room' was a song called 'Those Were The Days'
though its not the same song that Mary Hopkin was charting with.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
--
------
Robbie
Chris Brown
2019-01-30 00:23:20 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2.     (4)    Fleetwood Mac    Albatross
On the other hand this one is good. It would reach number 1 and when
re-issued 4 years later it peaked at number 2. Mike Vernon, the
producer, was a member of Rocky Sharpe & The Replays who were in the
charts a decade later (and now 40 years ago) with 'Rama Lama Ding Dong'.
I didn't know that, although I did know ten years after that he was
back producing the first Roachford album.
He was also a member of the Olympic Runners during the entire time the
group existed.
I see quite a few of their records in charity shops. I'd never have
guessed it was the same guy.

Incidentally, I discovered when I was making the Spotify playlist that
Albatross is not on the 50-track Fleetwood Mac best-of that's currently
charting.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4.     (1)    The Scaffold    Lily The Pink
Another dreadful song. And another with Beatles connections.
Mike McGear - the band Wings could have been.
Or as Alan Partridge once said "Wings? They're only the band The Beatles
could have been".
Exactly what I had in mind.
Apparently Wings played on Mike McGear's solo album in the 70s... they
were in Strawberry Studios next door to 10cc.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (10)    Stevie Wonder    For Once In My Life
Stevie was really getting into his stride now and this marks the
possible start of his imperial phase.
Perhaps the point when he escaped the novelty tag?
Quite possibly.
I know he got official creative control when he turned 21.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
30.    (38)    Booker T & the MG's    Soul Limbo
I bought this back in 1980 when it was re-issued as the follow up to
'Green Onions'.
Was that still before the cricket thing?
It was already the cricket theme as I bought it because I loved the
music on the BBC coverage.
That's probably why they chose that one to re-issue.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
38.    (NE)    Nina Simone    To Love Somebody
44.    (RE)    Nina Simone    I Put A Spell On You
Three Nina Simone records on the chart.
I wonder if there was any relevance to that?
I've checked and she was on tour in the UK in December 1968 and January
1969 and made a few appearances on TV programmes as well as Top Of The Pops.
That would make sense. Especially at the presumably quite low sales
levels at the bottom of the chart.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
48.    (NE)    Cream    White Room
They were popular but I thought they were slightly overrated. I
suppose being classed as a supergroup helped with their popularity.
Possibly so, even though I don't suppose any of them was really a
household name before Cream. I do think this is one of their better songs.
I agree it's one of their better singles but there isn't that many
decent ones to choose from. Their best is probably 'I Feel Free'.
The B side of 'White Room' was a song called 'Those Were The Days'
though its not the same song that Mary Hopkin was charting with.
I have that on a best-of album, which I figure is about the right amount
of Cream for me.
Most of my favourite Cream records are the shorter, heavily-produced
tracks which probably aren't what they were interested in themselves.

Chris
James Heaton
2019-01-30 05:41:25 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
30. (38) Booker T & the MG's Soul Limbo
I bought this back in 1980 when it was re-issued as the follow up to
'Green Onions'.
Was that still before the cricket thing?
It was already the cricket theme as I bought it because I loved the music
on the BBC coverage.
That's probably why they chose that one to re-issue.
Having looked it up, the West Indies toured England in summer of 69, so that
was probably when it was introduced as the cricket theme.

James