I've been searching everywhere, just to find someone who cares about this old chart from 1996
Chris Brown
2020-11-08 13:10:33 UTC
Another 90s chart, and another tribute since sadly James Broad the
singer of Silver Sun, died last week. If you want to be tenuous, this
chart also includes the follow-up to 'Three Lions', which mentions Nobby
Stiles.
Also includes a song named after a place I could walk by a band who are
from further away. And a song by 75% of a great band.

Playlists are here. Sadly Symposium still aren't on Spotify.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6uTY4zhUTMwf6UKNR2R2aF?si=XhwTwpIoR0qMSi-xToluIA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq3dbUQYR5iJLl2qaQdx5jz

Chart dated: 9th November 1996

1. (NE) Robson & Jerome What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?
2. (1) Spice Girls Say You'll Be There
3. (2) East 17 ft Gabrielle If You Ever
4. (NE) Simply Red Angel
5. (4) Toni Braxton Un-Break My Heart
6. (NE) Gina G I Belong To You
7. (7) Babybird You're Gorgeous
8. (5) Faithless Insomnia
9. (3) Boyzone Words
10. (NE) 911 Don't Make Me Wait
11. (8) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
12. (NE) Babyface This Is For The Lover In You
13. (NE) Bjork Possibly Maybe
14. (6) Reef Place Your Hands
15. (NE) Bone Thugs-N-Harmony 1st Of Tha Month
16. (12) Alisha's Attic Alisha Rules The World
17. (9) Livin' Joy Follow The Rules
18. (13) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
19. (11) Space Neighbourhood {reissue}
20. (15) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
21. (16) The Beautiful South Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
22. (NE) Underworld Pearl's Girl {reissue}
23. (18) Blackstreet ft Dr Dre No Diggity
24. (10) Madonna You Must Love Me
25. (RE) Crowded House Don't Dream It's Over {1996 reissue}
26. (NE) BT ft Tori Amos Blue Skies
27. (20) Suede Beautiful Ones
28. (14) Lightning Seeds What If...
29. (17) Cast Flying
30. (32) Spice Girls Wannabe
31. (23) Mark Morrison Trippin'
32. (24) LL Cool J Loungin'
33. (21) The Braids Bohemian Rhapsody
34. (NE) My Life Story Sparkle
35. (26) Damage Love II Love
36. (NE) Tricky Christiansands
37. (27) B.B.E. Seven Days And One Week
38. (NE) El Mariachi Cuba
39. (25) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun
40. (28) Fugees Ready Or Not

41. (NE) Gorky's Zygotic Mynci Patio Song
42. (30) Duke So in Love With You
43. (33) Clock Oh What A Night
44. (NE) Cool Jack Jus' Come
45. (22) Gene Fighting Fit
46. (31) Huff + Puff Help Me Make It
47. (NE) Status Quo with Maddy Prior All Around My Hat
48. (35) Dina Carroll Escaping
49. (37) Peter Andre Flava
50. (NE) Lucky Monkeys Bjango
51. (NE) Pauline Taylor Constantly Waiting
52. (34) E-Motion The Naughty North & The Sexy South
53. (19) R.E.M. Bittersweet Me
54. (NE) Bis Atom Powered Action!
[Starbright Boy; Wee Love; Team Theme; Cliquesuck]
55. (29) Presidents Of The United States Of America Mach 5
56. (NE) Speedy Boy Wonder
57. (39) Future Sound Of London My Kingdom
58. (41) Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
59. (60) Robbie Williams Freedom
60. (NE) Heads With Shaun Ryder Don't Take My Kindness For Weakness
61. (36) Sneaker Pimps 6 Underground
62. (47) George Michael Spinning The Wheel
63. (57) Phil Collins Dance Into The Light
64. (46) Jeremy Healy & Amos Stamp!
65. (38) Alexander O'Neal Let's Get Together
66. (44) Felix Don't You Want Me
67. (53) Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy
68. (48) Stretch & Vern Present Maddog I'm Alive
69. (40) Mazzy Star Flowers In December
70. (66) Los Del Rio Macarena
71. (NE) T-Empo The Look Of Love/The Blue Room
72. (49) MN8 Dreaming
73. (52) Luther Vandross Your Secret Love
74. (NE) DJ Shadow Stem
75. (NE) L.A. Ganz Like A Playa
76. (NE) Urban Soul Back Together
77. (42) Lost Boyz Music Makes Me High
78. (45) Express Of Sound Real Vibration (Want Love)
79. (54) Silver Sun Lava
80. (NE) Star Turn Parklife/Roll With It
81. (RE) Fugees Killing Me Softly
82. (55) OMD Universal
83. (NE) Lamb God Bless
84. (88) Ant & Dec Better Watch Out
85. (RE) 3T ft Michael Jackson Why?
86. (NE) The Real People Rayners Lane
87. (64) Natural Born Grooves Forerunner
88. (77) Eternal Someday
89. (59) Keith Murray The Rhyme
90. (81) East 17 Someone To Love
91. (NE) Tony De Vit Are You All Ready/UFO
92. (RE) Backstreet Boys We've Got It Goin' On
93. (63) Victor Simonelli presents Solution Feels So Right
94. (NE) Symposium Drink The Sunshine
95. (RE) Louise Undivided Love
96. (100) Tori Amos Hey Jupiter/Professional Widow
97. (NE) Lionrock Project Now (Undefinable Modern Music)
[Call A Cab; Reel And Stepout; Sun Up In The Centre; Obviously Oblivious]
98. (78) Suede Trash
99. (99) Prodigy Firestarter
100. (RE) Let Loose Take It Easy

Chris
Vidcapper
2020-11-08 15:30:09 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
8. (5) Faithless Insomnia
18. (13) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
30. (32) Spice Girls Wannabe
37. (27) B.B.E. Seven Days And One Week
58. (41) Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
70. (66) Los Del Rio Macarena
81. (RE) Fugees Killing Me Softly
96. (100) Tori Amos Hey Jupiter/Professional Widow
99. (99) Prodigy Firestarter
More than I usually know from a 90's chart.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2020-11-08 23:14:22 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
18.  (13) Deep Blue Something    Breakfast At Tiffany's
30.  (32) Spice Girls    Wannabe
37.  (27) B.B.E.    Seven Days And One Week
58.  (41) Jamiroquai    Virtual Insanity
70.  (66) Los Del Rio    Macarena
81.  (RE) Fugees    Killing Me Softly
96. (100) Tori Amos    Hey Jupiter/Professional Widow
99.  (99) Prodigy    Firestarter
More than I usually know from a 90's chart.
Yeah, that's even a bit more than I expected from you (I'm presuming
you're referring to only one side of the Tori Amos single, otherwise I'm
even more impressed).

This still isn't going to stop me doing the list of other versions
though I think some of them are pretty obvious anyway:

1. (NE) Robson & Jerome What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted? {cover of
the Jimmy Ruffin hit}
3. (2) East 17 ft Gabrielle If You Ever {UK hit and almost US
chart-topper for Shai as 'If I Ever Fall in Love'}
4. (NE) Simply Red Angel {cover of the Aretha Franklin hit}
9. (3) Boyzone Words {cover of the Bee Gees hit}
11. (8) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now {later a Top 10 hit
for Meat Loaf}
23. (18) Blackstreet ft Dr Dre No Diggity {samples 'Grandma's Hands' by
Bill Withers}
25. (RE) Crowded House Don't Dream It's Over {1996 reissue} [also ahit
for Paul Young, sampled on 'Don't Dream' by Dove}
33. (21) The Braids Bohemian Rhapsody {cover of the Queen hit, obviously}
34. (NE) My Life Story Sparkle {reworking of their earlier single 'You
Don't Sparkle (In My Eyes)'}
38. (NE) El Mariachi Cuba {cover of Gibson Brothers hit}
40. (28) Fugees Ready Or Not {based on the Delfonics hit, also samples
'Boadicea' by Enya}
43. (33) Clock Oh What A Night {cover of 'December 1963' by the Four
Seasons}
46. (31) Huff + Puff Help Me Make It {samples Gladys Knight & The Pips'
cover of the Kris Kristofferson song}
47. (NE) Status Quo with Maddy Prior All Around My Hat {cover of the
Steeleye Span hit}
48. (35) Dina Carroll Escaping {rewritten cover of the UK chart single
by Asia Blue}
50. (NE) Lucky Monkeys Bjango {based on a rejected remix of Bjork's
'Hyperballad'}
52. (34) E-Motion The Naughty North & The Sexy South {samples 'Ant Rap'
by Adam & the Ants}
59. (60) Robbie Williams Freedom {cover of George Michael's 'Freedom 90'}
67. (53) Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy {based on 'I Wanna Be A Hippy'
by Technohead}
68. (48) Stretch & Vern Present Maddog I'm Alive {samples 'Boogie
Wonderland' by Earth, Wind & Fire}
70. (66) Los Del Rio Macarena {rival version by Los Del Mar}
80. (NE) Star Turn Parklife/Roll With It {covers of Blue and Oasis
respectively}
81. (RE) Fugees Killing Me Softly
{cover of the Roberta Flack hit}

Chris
James Heaton
2020-11-08 21:13:23 UTC
Another 90s chart, and another tribute since sadly James Broad the singer
of Silver Sun, died last week. If you want to be tenuous, this chart also
includes the follow-up to 'Three Lions', which mentions Nobby Stiles.
Also includes a song named after a place I could walk by a band who are
from further away. And a song by 75% of a great band.
Playlists are here. Sadly Symposium still aren't on Spotify.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6uTY4zhUTMwf6UKNR2R2aF?si=XhwTwpIoR0qMSi-xToluIA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq3dbUQYR5iJLl2qaQdx5jz
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
8. (5) Faithless Insomnia
Not what I wanted to keep hearing on the radio living in a very noisy
flat...
11. (8) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
Aka the Sunday morning song
14. (6) Reef Place Your Hands
It's your letters...
16. (12) Alisha's Attic Alisha Rules The World
Very keen on these 2 at the time, sibling harmony can be so tight it's
incredible
20. (15) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
Valleys girl, funnily enough I heard this the other day. Her dob is listed
as 1973 but I'm sure she was in her late 30s when this was a hit...
54. (NE) Bis Atom Powered Action!
One of the most bizarre lead vocalists I can recall
57. (39) Future Sound Of London My Kingdom
No Humanoids were harmed in the making of this record...
61. (36) Sneaker Pimps 6 Underground
One of those songs which seemed to be everywhere for a little while
96. (100) Tori Amos Hey Jupiter/Professional Widow
B side to be a huge hit in Jan 97?

James
Chris Brown
2020-11-09 22:46:21 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Another 90s chart, and another tribute since sadly James Broad the
singer of Silver Sun, died last week. If you want to be tenuous, this
chart also includes the follow-up to 'Three Lions', which mentions
Nobby Stiles.
Also includes a song named after a place I could walk by a band who
are from further away. And a song by 75% of a great band.
Playlists are here. Sadly Symposium still aren't on Spotify.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6uTY4zhUTMwf6UKNR2R2aF?si=XhwTwpIoR0qMSi-xToluIA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq3dbUQYR5iJLl2qaQdx5jz
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
8.    (5) Faithless Insomnia
Not what I wanted to keep hearing on the radio living in a very noisy
flat...
I never particularly wanted to hear it any context. With hindsight it's
a decent track but still massively overplayed.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
11.   (8) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
Aka the Sunday morning song
If you're awake on Sunday morning...
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
14.   (6) Reef Place Your Hands
It's your letters...
Ha, between the people who think of that and the people who think it's
called "Put Your Hands On".

According to https://twitter.com/PlaceYourHands it sold 1325 last week,
exactly the same as the week before.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
16.  (12) Alisha's Attic Alisha Rules The World
Very keen on these 2 at the time, sibling harmony can be so tight it's
incredible
I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time but I think their singles
have aged well (I don't really know the albums).
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
20.  (15) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
Valleys girl, funnily enough I heard this the other day.  Her dob is
listed as 1973 but I'm sure she was in her late 30s when this was a hit...
Hmm, even though she sings in that little-girlish voice she does seem a
bit older than 22-23 here. In fact I notice Wikipedia quotes an
interview from 1996 where she's been married for 9 years... so I hope
she wasn't 23 then eh.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
54.  (NE) Bis Atom Powered Action!
One of the most bizarre lead vocalists I can recall
Speaking of people who pretended to be little girls.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
57.  (39) Future Sound Of London My Kingdom
No Humanoids were harmed in the making of this record...
Heh.
Ironically, it sounds like a lot of humanoids being harmed, and that's
just part 1 (I haven't listened to the whole EP yet).
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
61.  (36) Sneaker Pimps 6 Underground
One of those songs which seemed to be everywhere for a little while
Yep, it was in adverts and al the trailers that weren't using 'Miserlou'.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
96. (100) Tori Amos Hey Jupiter/Professional Widow
B side to be a huge hit in Jan 97?
Yep - it is the same remix version that was later released as a single
in its own right. Presumably it was already making some impact in clubs
to get joint billing.

Chris
Robbie
2020-11-14 21:17:22 UTC
On 08/11/2020 13:10, Chris Brown wrote:

I seem to have overlooked this one so here's a quick run through some of
the records.
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
1.   (NE) Robson & Jerome    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?
We were told that 'Unchained Melody' was a one-off...
Post by Chris Brown
2.    (1) Spice Girls    Say You'll Be There
This record seemed to split opinion. I quite liked it but after the
poptastic 'Wannabe' this was seen by some as a disappoiuntment.
Post by Chris Brown
3.    (2) East 17 ft Gabrielle    If You Ever
I quite liked this but radio just wouldn't let go of it.
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (4) Toni Braxton    Un-Break My Heart
I love the remix version of this that propelled the single back up the
charts.
Post by Chris Brown
7.    (7) Babybird    You're Gorgeous
This was one record that I found highly annoying.
Post by Chris Brown
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
An excellent track. Their record label (Cheeky Records) was located next
my office in Harlesden at this time.
Post by Chris Brown
14.   (6) Reef    Place Your Hands
I think Radio X seem to have forgotten to take this off their playout
system. Not that I listen to the station that much these days (so
perhaps they have removed it).
Post by Chris Brown
20.  (15) Donna Lewis    I Love You Always Forever
I remember this record climbing the chart in what by 1996 seemed an old
fashioned way, that is making good progress up the charts for a few
weeks. 34-20-11-9-{5}-5-7-9-15-20-32-44-56-66.
Post by Chris Brown
21.  (16) The Beautiful South    Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
The record that made me start to go off the band. I just couldn't get
into this at all.
Post by Chris Brown
27.  (20) Suede    Beautiful Ones
Great lyrics!
Post by Chris Brown
37.  (27) B.B.E.    Seven Days And One Week
Great dance track.
Post by Chris Brown
47.  (NE) Status Quo with Maddy Prior    All Around My Hat
Status Quo seemed to be teaming up with anyone by this point in their
career. The original, by Maddy's band Steeleye Span, entered the charts
21 years previously, in November 1975.
    Chris
Chris Brown
2020-11-15 18:12:56 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 9th November 1996
1.   (NE) Robson & Jerome    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?
We were told that 'Unchained Melody' was a one-off...
At least Jerome stopped after this, although I know Robson eventually
released a solo album.
I wonder if they're the most successful recording act in the UK that
never performed live?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2.    (1) Spice Girls    Say You'll Be There
This record seemed to split opinion. I quite liked it but after the
poptastic 'Wannabe' this was seen by some as a disappoiuntment.
This has always been a bit of a favourite of mine. Except for the bit
where they say "far too much emotions".
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3.    (2) East 17 ft Gabrielle    If You Ever
I quite liked this but radio just wouldn't let go of it.
A very canny choice of cover.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (4) Toni Braxton    Un-Break My Heart
I love the remix version of this that propelled the single back up the
charts.
Yeah, if I had to listen I'd pref that one although it doesn't quite fit
the subject matter of the song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7.    (7) Babybird    You're Gorgeous
This was one record that I found highly annoying.
So did I, although to be fair I found almost every other Babybird record
annoying as well (though I obviously didn't have to hear them as often).
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
An excellent track. Their record label (Cheeky Records) was located next
my office in Harlesden at this time.
I always imagine that small record company offices are full of partying
and big ones are just like every other office.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14.   (6) Reef    Place Your Hands
I think Radio X seem to have forgotten to take this off their playout
system. Not that I listen to the station that much these days (so
perhaps they have removed it).
I suppose Reef have released new material so they might have played the
oldies a bit less while that was around. Well, I say "oldies", it's not
often anyone plays any other Reef hit.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20.  (15) Donna Lewis    I Love You Always Forever
I remember this record climbing the chart in what by 1996 seemed an old
fashioned way, that is making good progress up the charts for a few
weeks. 34-20-11-9-{5}-5-7-9-15-20-32-44-56-66.
Yes, it wasn't totally unheard of yet but it was already remarkable.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21.  (16) The Beautiful South    Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
The record that made me start to go off the band. I just couldn't get
into this at all.
I don't know if I ever exactly disliked it, but I certainly didn't think
it was a particularly good track by their standards, nor that it
deserved to be one of their biggest hits. Luckily I liked the next two
singles more.
The B-side was 'A Minute's Silence' from the War Child project, which is
much better.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
27.  (20) Suede    Beautiful Ones
Great lyrics!
Especially for Suede!
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
37.  (27) B.B.E.    Seven Days And One Week
Great dance track.
Lyrics to this aren't as good, etc.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
47.  (NE) Status Quo with Maddy Prior    All Around My Hat
Status Quo seemed to be teaming up with anyone by this point in their
career. The original, by Maddy's band Steeleye Span, entered the charts
21 years previously, in November 1975.
Yeah, this turn-of-the century era where they're trying to stay relevant
is probably the most cringeworthy part of their career. In retrospect I
think they blamed their manager for this.

Chris
Robbie
2020-11-15 18:57:12 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (4) Toni Braxton    Un-Break My Heart
I love the remix version of this that propelled the single back up the
charts.
Yeah, if I had to listen I'd pref that one although it doesn't quite fit
the subject matter of the song.
The remix sounds so joyous that I have to remind myself that the song is
about heartbreak. In the video she's lost her boyfriend in a motorcycle
accident and the remix makes it soun like one great big party.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
An excellent track. Their record label (Cheeky Records) was located
next my office in Harlesden at this time.
I always imagine that small record company offices are full of partying
and big ones are just like every other office.
I can't even remember if I was aware back in 1996 that there was a
record company next to where I worked. I possibly was. I've just
checked, the address (181, High Street, NW10) is now the HQ of Champion
Records https://www.championrecords.co.uk/about/ . Champion Records has
been around since the 1980s and was where Cheeky Records grew out from.
Not much chance of partying going on at Champion Records though as the
adjacent property, number 183, is home to some sort of criminal lawyer.
I do remember the two properties well. They are one of the few houses
left on the High Street, most having been demolished many decades ago to
make way for much larger buildings which in turn became offices, shops,
pubs, etc. Looking on Google Street View both numbers 181 and 183 seem
as run down as they were when I worked close by. At least the wheely
bins next to the front doors look clean!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21.  (16) The Beautiful South    Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
The record that made me start to go off the band. I just couldn't get
into this at all.
I don't know if I ever exactly disliked it, but I certainly didn't think
it was a particularly good track by their standards, nor that it
deserved to be one of their biggest hits. Luckily I liked the next two
singles more.
The B-side was 'A Minute's Silence' from the War Child project, which is
much better.
Unfortunately I didn't like 'Rotterdam' either...
    Chris
Chris Brown
2020-11-15 23:56:06 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.    (4) Toni Braxton    Un-Break My Heart
I love the remix version of this that propelled the single back up
the charts.
Yeah, if I had to listen I'd pref that one although it doesn't quite
fit the subject matter of the song.
The remix sounds so joyous that I have to remind myself that the song is
about heartbreak. In the video she's lost her boyfriend in a motorcycle
accident and the remix makes it soun like one great big party.
I know it's not that uncommon but somehow it seems more distracting when
you know there's another version. Also, she didn't redo the vocal.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
An excellent track. Their record label (Cheeky Records) was located
next my office in Harlesden at this time.
I always imagine that small record company offices are full of
partying and big ones are just like every other office.
I can't even remember if I was aware back in 1996 that there was a
record company next to where I worked. I possibly was. I've just
checked, the address (181, High Street, NW10) is now the HQ of Champion
Records https://www.championrecords.co.uk/about/ . Champion Records has
been around since the 1980s and was where Cheeky Records grew out from.
Aren't they the ones who keep releasing 'Show Me Love' by Robin S?
Post by Robbie
Not much chance of partying going on at Champion Records though as the
adjacent property, number 183, is home to some sort of criminal lawyer.
As in a lawyer who deals with crime, rather than one who commits crimes,
I presume?
Post by Robbie
I do remember the two properties well. They are one of the few houses
left on the High Street, most having been demolished many decades ago to
make way for much larger buildings which in turn became offices, shops,
pubs, etc. Looking on Google Street View both numbers 181 and 183 seem
as run down as they were when I worked close by. At least the wheely
bins next to the front doors look clean!
Somehow Harlesden seems to have evaded gentrification.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21.  (16) The Beautiful South    Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
The record that made me start to go off the band. I just couldn't get
into this at all.
I don't know if I ever exactly disliked it, but I certainly didn't
think it was a particularly good track by their standards, nor that it
deserved to be one of their biggest hits. Luckily I liked the next two
singles more.
The B-side was 'A Minute's Silence' from the War Child project, which
is much better.
Unfortunately I didn't like 'Rotterdam' either...
I thought this was 'Rotterdam'.

Actually I think 'Rotterdam' by the Wedding Present is a better song.

Chris
Robbie
2020-11-16 09:08:22 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.    (5) Faithless    Insomnia
An excellent track. Their record label (Cheeky Records) was located
next my office in Harlesden at this time.
I always imagine that small record company offices are full of
partying and big ones are just like every other office.
I can't even remember if I was aware back in 1996 that there was a
record company next to where I worked. I possibly was. I've just
checked, the address (181, High Street, NW10) is now the HQ of
Champion Records https://www.championrecords.co.uk/about/ . Champion
Records has been around since the 1980s and was where Cheeky Records
grew out from.
Aren't they the ones who keep releasing 'Show Me Love' by Robin S?
The very same.
Post by Robbie
I do remember the two properties well. They are one of the few houses
left on the High Street, most having been demolished many decades ago
to make way for much larger buildings which in turn became offices,
shops, pubs, etc. Looking on Google Street View both numbers 181 and
183 seem as run down as they were when I worked close by. At least the
wheely bins next to the front doors look clean!
Somehow Harlesden seems to have evaded gentrification.
Yes, neighbouring areas such as Kensal Green and Kensal Rise have gone
somewhat upmarket but Harlesden still seems down at heel. At least all
the tower blocks in Stonebridge were knocked down and replaced by
something that resembles proper housing. But Harlesden itself doesn't
seem to be able to drag itself from the run down image it had when I
worked there.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21.  (16) The Beautiful South    Rotterdam (Or Anywhere)
The record that made me start to go off the band. I just couldn't
get into this at all.
I don't know if I ever exactly disliked it, but I certainly didn't
think it was a particularly good track by their standards, nor that
it deserved to be one of their biggest hits. Luckily I liked the next
two singles more.
The B-side was 'A Minute's Silence' from the War Child project, which
is much better.
Unfortunately I didn't like 'Rotterdam' either...
I thought this was 'Rotterdam'.
Oops, I meant 'Don't Marry Her'. 'Blackbird On The Wire' is classic
Beautiful South though and is a great track.
    Chris
James Heaton
2020-11-15 21:10:13 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (15) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
I remember this record climbing the chart in what by 1996 seemed an old
fashioned way, that is making good progress up the charts for a few
weeks. 34-20-11-9-{5}-5-7-9-15-20-32-44-56-66.
What's the reason for one of the placings being in brackets?

James
Robbie
2020-11-15 21:36:08 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20.  (15) Donna Lewis    I Love You Always Forever
I remember this record climbing the chart in what by 1996 seemed an
old fashioned way, that is making good progress up the charts for a
few weeks. 34-20-11-9-{5}-5-7-9-15-20-32-44-56-66.
What's the reason for one of the placings being in brackets?
For the chart run of 'I Love You Always Forever'? If so, it's the peak
position reached by the record. The chart run is taken from the
excellent Polyhex website which lists the chart run of every single to
make the charts.

https://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/chartruns-uksingles.cfm

You can search by either artist (by default) or by title.
James
James Heaton
2020-11-16 10:06:18 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by James Heaton
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (15) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
I remember this record climbing the chart in what by 1996 seemed an old
fashioned way, that is making good progress up the charts for a few
weeks. 34-20-11-9-{5}-5-7-9-15-20-32-44-56-66.
What's the reason for one of the placings being in brackets?
For the chart run of 'I Love You Always Forever'? If so, it's the peak
position reached by the record. The chart run is taken from the excellent
Polyhex website which lists the chart run of every single to make the
charts.
https://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/chartruns-uksingles.cfm
You can search by either artist (by default) or by title.
Cheers Robbie, yes I did mean the Donna Lewis but trimmed poorly.

Can see me disappearing down that site for some hours...

James