This old chart from 1988 might be missing a beat
Chris Brown
2021-04-18 23:56:46 UTC
Took me so long to type this up I’m now too tired to say much about it.

https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/13YRn7QC99hAKQZvM17CTz?si=8uDrN2mFQZed-cZisJH2eQ

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoaE1aKZH4y-Efli-es8aqz

Chart dated: 23rd April 1988

1. (1) Pet Shop Boys - Heart
2. (3) Climie Fisher - Love Changes (Everything)
3. (25) S-Express - Theme From S-Express
4. (5) Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
5. (11) Natalie Cole - Pink Cadillac
6. (9) Hazell Dean - Who’s Leaving Who?
7. (14) Bananarama - I Want You Back
8. (13) Pebbles - Girlfriend
9. (2) Bros - Drop The Boy
10. (31) The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back ‘88
11. (8) Taylor Dayne - Prove Your Love
12. (4) Tiffany - Could’ve Been
13. (15) Jellybean ft Adele Bertei - Just A Mirage
14. (NE) George Michael - One More Try
15. (35) Danny Wilson - Mary’s Prayer
16. (12) Glen Goldsmith - Dreaming
17. (22) Jermaine Stewart - Get Lucky
18. (7) Eighth Wonder - I’m Not Scared
19. (29) Pat And Mick - Let’s All Chant
20. (6) Sinitta - Cross My Broken Heart
21. (34) Will Downing - A Love Supreme
22. (10) Aswad - Don’t Turn Around
23. (20) Def Leppard - Armageddon It
24. (39) Patrick Swayze ft Wendy Fraser - She’s Like The Wind
25. (NE) James Brown - The Payback Mix part 1
26. (28) Brenda Russell - Piano In The Dark
27. (16) Debbie Gibson - Only In My Dreams
28. (26) Eurythmics - I Need A Man
29. (23) T’Pau - Sex Talk (Live)
30. (40) All About Eve - Every Angel
31. (19) Wet Wet Wet - Temptation
32. (17) A-ha - Stay On These Roads
33. (52) Luther Vandross - I Gave It Up (When I Fell In Love)
34. (18) Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness
35. (59) Fairground Attraction - Perfect
36. (NE) The Mission - Beyond The Pale
37. (21) Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
38. (46) Deacon Blue - When Will You (Make My Telephone Ring) {1988 reissue}
39. (49) Rob Base And DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two
40. (27) AC/DC - That’s The Way I Wanna Rock N’ Roll

41. (51) The Adventures - Broken Land
42. (24) Status Quo - Ain’t Complaining
43. (30) The Jesus And Mary Chain - Sidewalking
44. (NE) Joyce Sims - Walk Away
45. (57) Transvision Vamp - Tell That Girl To Shut Up
46. (NE) Narada - Divine Emotions
47. (NE) The Housemartins - There Is Always Something There To Remind Me
48. (32) Heart - Never/These Dreams
49. (NE) Rush - Prime Mover
50. (47) Cher - We All Sleep Alone
51. (43) Salt-N-Pepa - Push It/Tramp
52. (33) Whitney Houston - Where Do Broken Hearts Go
53. (66) Thomas Dolby - Airhead
54. (62) Al B Sure! - Nite And Day
55. (36) Simon Harris - Bass (How Low Can You Go)
56. (65) Sugarcubes - Deus
57. (38) The Primitives - Crash
58. (68) The Kane Gang - Don’t Look Any Further
59. (NE) Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - From The Hip EP
[From The Hip (remix); Lonely Mile; Love Your Wife; Please]
60. (55) Neal Hefti - Batman Theme
61. (78) Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
62. (74) Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
63. (50) Alice Cooper - Freedom
64. (NE) Judas Priest - Johnny B. Goode
65. (41) Belinda Carlisle - I Get Weak
66. (NE) The Christians - Born Again
67. (80) Penthouse 4 - Bust This House Down
68. (37) Keith Sweat - I Want Her
69. (61) The Men They Couldn’t Hang - The Colours
70. (76) Heartbeat - The Winner
71. (NE) Aztec Camera - Somewhere In My Heart
72. (54) Paul Hardcastle - Walk In The Night
73. (69) Aerosmith - Angel
74. (48) Erasure - Ship Of Fools
75. (42) Rick Astley - Together Forever
76. (81) Habit - Lucy
77. (NE) Gregg Diamond & Bionic Boogie - Hot Butterfly
77. (NE) Prefab Sprout - The King Of Rock N’ Roll
79. (75) Kingdom Come - Get It On
80. (NE) Powerhouse - On The Floor
81. (73) DTI - Keep This Frequency Clear
82. (70) Sting - Fragile
83. (60) Cappella - Push The Beat - Bauhaus
84. (NE) Star Turn On 45 (Pints) - Pump Up The Bitter
85. (98) Alan Price - Changes
86. (93) Cardiacs - Is This The Life
87. (NE) Well Red - MFSB
88. (83) Big Trouble - When The Love Is Good
89. (NE) Daryl Hall And John Oates - Everything Your Heart Desires
90. (Re) The Clash - I Fought The Law {1988 reissue}
91. (89) Julia Fordham - The Comfort Of Strangers
92. (88) Scott Fitzgerald - Go
93. (84) Taurus Boyz - You’re The One
94. (NE) Mac Thornhill - Who’s Gonna Ease The Pressure
95. (NE) The Macc Lads - Pie Taster
96. (79) Gwen Guthrie - Can’t Love You Tonight
97. (NE) Loverboy - Break It To Me Gently
98. (92) James - What For
99. (87) T-Cut-F - House Reaction
100(NE) Eddie Cochran - Somethin’ Else {1988 reissue}
Vidcapper
2021-04-19 05:43:42 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Took me so long to type this up I’m now too tired to say much about it.
You do realise that ukmix has an archive of all UK charts already? :)
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 23rd April 1988
4. (5) Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
28. (26) Eurythmics - I Need A Man
37. (21) Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
62. (74) Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
Expected to know more from a 1988 chart...
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2021-04-19 22:01:59 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Took me so long to type this up I’m now too tired to say much about it.
You do realise that ukmix has an archive of all UK charts already? :)
Yes, but there’s no way to change formatting without retyping it all.
The main problem was that I was typing into the iPad so I had to use the shift key every time there was a number.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 23rd April 1988
4. (5) Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
28. (26) Eurythmics - I Need A Man
37. (21) Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
62. (74) Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
Expected to know more from a 1988 chart...
That’s most of the likely ones, except maybe the Jackson 5.

I was slightly surprised to hear a track in the Top 20 that didn’t sound familiar (though I’d certainly heard of it).

Chris
James Heaton
2021-04-19 21:03:34 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Took me so long to type this up I’m now too tired to say much about it.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/13YRn7QC99hAKQZvM17CTz?si=8uDrN2mFQZed-cZisJH2eQ
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoaE1aKZH4y-Efli-es8aqz
Chart dated: 23rd April 1988
9. (2) Bros - Drop The Boy
Not their best but sold by the sackful
Post by Chris Brown
15. (35) Danny Wilson - Mary’s Prayer
Felt they deserved more success than they had
Post by Chris Brown
18. (7) Eighth Wonder - I’m Not Scared
Patsy Kensit?
Post by Chris Brown
19. (29) Pat And Mick - Let’s All Chant
Pretty mystifying hit to anyone outside Capital's reception area.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (59) Fairground Attraction - Perfect
Probably the only song in this chart with a guitarron. Hell, probably the
only group this year to use it!
Post by Chris Brown
38. (46) Deacon Blue - When Will You (Make My Telephone Ring) {1988 reissue}
Are we before or after Real Gone Kid at this point? Love their early stuff,
lyrically very clever and descriptive, like Bogey with his sunblest bag with
lunch in.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (78) Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
I think this was eventually a decent hit the next year
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Prefab Sprout - The King Of Rock N’ Roll
Moderate summer hit and still gets a lot of airplay
Pretty dreadful parody
Chris Brown
2021-04-23 23:48:10 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Took me so long to type this up I’m now too tired to say much about it.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/13YRn7QC99hAKQZvM17CTz?si=8uDrN2mFQZed-cZisJH2eQ
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoaE1aKZH4y-Efli-es8aqz
Chart dated: 23rd April 1988
9. (2) Bros - Drop The Boy
Not their best but sold by the sackful
I enjoyed it more than I expected, ridiculous as it is.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
15. (35) Danny Wilson - Mary’s Prayer
Felt they deserved more success than they had
Yeah, this song is somewhat overplayed but their others are ignored.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
18. (7) Eighth Wonder - I’m Not Scared
Patsy Kensit?
Yep.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
19. (29) Pat And Mick - Let’s All Chant
Pretty mystifying hit to anyone outside Capital's reception area.
You’d think, although they did manage to get singles into the Top 40 when Radio 1 DJs doing records for Children In Need couldn’t. Eventually they even managed to make the US chart.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
35. (59) Fairground Attraction - Perfect
Probably the only song in this chart with a guitarron. Hell, probably the
only group this year to use it!
Probably the only hit act, even with a bit of a roots rock revival at the time.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
38. (46) Deacon Blue - When Will You (Make My Telephone Ring) {1988 reissue}
Are we before or after Real Gone Kid at this point?
Before. They may have recorded it by now but it wasn’t released until October.
Post by James Heaton
Love their early stuff,
lyrically very clever and descriptive, like Bogey with his sunblest bag with
lunch in.
The production seems of its time now, but the early songs are mostly good.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
61. (78) Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
I think this was eventually a decent hit the next year
Yep, so that’s probably when I remember it from.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Prefab Sprout - The King Of Rock N’ Roll
Moderate summer hit and still gets a lot of airplay
A song which is possibly about a one-hit wonder becomes their only Top 20 single.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
84. (NE) Star Turn On 45 (Pints) - Pump Up The Bitter
Pretty dreadful parody
I think I have just the right level of distance to enjoy it. I do at least appreciate it when a bit of thought goes into a parody.

Chris