And you wrap me up in a web of an old chart from 1988
Chris Brown
2017-01-22 13:28:24 UTC
Early 1988 usually seems popular, and in this chart are at least three
people who died last year. I think there were almost as many people who
had already died by 1988 though. One person who died in the intervening
years is soon to release an expensive vinyl box set that includes a
picture disc of his song in this chart.
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er,
second Top 40 week of another Australian act.

Playlists here. You'll only hear the Number 5 on Spotify if it's already
on your computer though.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5RwdTnc6FDmdcNpKfzUn6P
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqyBQWxgPMnyiHMR7Ry0q6e

Chart dated 23rd January 1988

1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
2. (8) Terence Trent D'Arby Sign Your Name
3. (13) Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now
4. (3) Krush House Arrest
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til Bedtime)
6. (5) Cher I Found Someone
7. (7) The Stranglers All Day And All Of The Night
8. (9) Joyce Sims Come Into My Life
9. (6) Wet Wet Wet Angel Eyes
10. (10) Climie Fisher Rise To The Occasion
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
12. (17) AC/DC Heatseeker
13. (11) George Michael Father Figure
14. (26) The Beatmasters Rok Da House {1988} ft The Cookie Crew
15. (22) The Christians Ideal World
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
17. (12) Jellybean Jingo
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
19. (15) Sinitta GTO
20. (23) Bananarama I Can't Help It
21. (14) Rick Astley When I Fall In Love
22. (24) GOSH The Wishing Well
23. (48) Mötley Crüe You're All I Need
24. (21) Depeche Mode Behind The Wheel
25. (35) INXS New Sensation
26. (16) Michael Jackson The Way You Make Me Feel
27. (45) Billy Idol Hot In The City {1988 remix}
28. (20) Johnny Hates Jazz Turn Back The Clock
29. (42) Two Men, A Drum Machine And A Trumpet Tired Of Getting Pushed
Around
30. (47) Elton John Candle In The Wind (Live)
31. (37) Lloyd Cole And The Commotions Jennifer She Said
32. (18) Alison Moyet Love Letters
33. (46) Jack 'N' Chill The Jack That House Built {1988}
34. (32) Public Enemy Bring The Noise
35. (NE) Debbie Gibson Shake Your Love
36. (NE) All About Eve Wild Hearted Woman
37. (52) Jermaine Stewart Say It Again
38. (48) Black Paradise
39. (19) The Pogues Fairytale Of New York ft Kirsty MacColl
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
41. (43) Eurythmics Shame
42. (73) The Screaming Blue Messiahs I Wanna Be A Flintstone
43. (56) Gladys Knight And The Pips Love Overboard
44. (NE) Luther Vandross Give Me The Reason {1988 re-issue}
45. (58) Sweet Tee I Got Da Feelin'/It's Like That Y'All
46. (25) Jellybean Who Found Who ft Elisa Fiorillo
47. (NE) Taylor Dayne Tell It To My Heart
48. (67) Sinéad O'Connor Mandinka
49. (29) New Order Touched By The Hand Of God
50. (30) Alexander O'Neal Criticize
51. (81) Basia Promises
52. (62) Feargal Sharkey More Love
53. (40) Simply Red Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
54. (90) Kylie Minogue I Should Be So Lucky
55. (59) Jethro Tull Said She Was A Dancer
56. (51) Damian Time Warp II
57. (27) Nat King Cole When I Fall In Love {1987 re-issue}
58. (60) Elvis Presley Stuck On You {1988 re-issue}
59. (NE) Donna Summer All Systems Go
60. (34) Wally Jump Jnr. And The Criminal Element Tighten Up (I Just
Can't Stop Dancin')
61. (NE) Deacon Blue Dignity
62. (54) Fleetwood Mac Family Man
63. (68) Wendy And Lisa Side Show
64. (78) Brother Beyond Can You Keep A Secret
65. (36) Madonna The Look Of Love
66. (NE) Eddy Grant Gimme Hope Jo'anna
67. (NE) Scarlet Fantastic Plug Me In (To The Central Love Line)
68. (63) Barry White Never Never Gonna Give You Up
69. (41) George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You
70. (49) Heart There's The Girl
71. (62) Imagination Instinctual
72. (44) Whitney Houston So Emotional
73. (87) Bruce Willis Comin' Right Up
74. (NE) The Mighty Lemon Drops Inside Out
75. (NE) Walter Beasley I'm So Happy
76. (80) John McLean If I Gave My Heart To You
77. (76) Babakoto Just To Get By
78. (70) Roger Waters The Tide Is Turning
79. (NE) The Triffids Trick Of The Light
79. (NE) McAulay Schenker Group Love Is Not A Game
81. (NE) Thomas Lang The Happy Man
82. (84) Cross Shove It
83. (77) Raze Caught U Cheatin'
84. (RE) The Smiths Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
85. (95) Luxuria Redneck
86. (89) Mirage Jack Mix IV
87. (98) Godley And Creme Love Is Dead
88. (92) Eric Carmen Hungry Eyes
89. (82) Candido Jingo {1988 re-issue}
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
91. (85) Pretty Poison Catch Me (I'm Falling)
92. (79) Atlantic Starr Let The Sun In
93. (RE) The Housemartins Build
94. (RE) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I See She
Dance)
95. (86) Sugarcubes Birthday
96. (NE) Mental As Anything He's Just No Good For You
97. (NE) The Hooters Karla With A K
98. (NE) Bourgeois Tagg I Don't Mind At All
99. (RE) Tom Jones I Was Born To Be Me
100. (NE) Eria Fachin Savin' Myself

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-01-22 14:43:20 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er,
second Top 40 week of another Australian act.
I guessed you mean Kylie. :)
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Good,
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now
OK.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
Good.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
Cheesy.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (16) Michael Jackson The Way You Make Me Feel
Not his best.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (47) Elton John Candle In The Wind (Live)
Original lyrics.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (19) The Pogues Fairytale Of New York ft Kirsty MacColl
Charting late into Jan.
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
Very good.
Post by Chris Brown
41. (43) Eurythmics Shame
54. (90) Kylie Minogue I Should Be So Lucky
Still one of her best. :)
Post by Chris Brown
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
Ok
Post by Chris Brown
94. (RE) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I
See She Dance)
Excellent - at least the first one, I've never heard the other one.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2017-01-22 16:13:48 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er,
second Top 40 week of another Australian act.
I guessed you mean Kylie. :)
In the former case, yes.
At one point I'd intended to do the previous week, which was her T100
debut and INXS's T40 debut, but for other reasons I switched to this one.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Good,
In a very of-its-time way.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now
OK.
Also quite dated now.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
Good.
Not my favourite version.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
Cheesy.
This one especially?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
26. (16) Michael Jackson The Way You Make Me Feel
Not his best.
I've always liked it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
30. (47) Elton John Candle In The Wind (Live)
Original lyrics.
As in "not derivative" or "not rewritten".
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (19) The Pogues Fairytale Of New York ft Kirsty MacColl
Charting late into Jan.
True, although the last sales day for this chart would have been the
16th, which is really the middle of the month.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
Very good.
Even with that honking sax solo?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
41. (43) Eurythmics Shame
54. (90) Kylie Minogue I Should Be So Lucky
Still one of her best. :)
Sad if true.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
69. (41) George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You
OK.
Another cover.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
Ok
Not the only time this recharted of course.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
94. (RE) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I
See She Dance)
Excellent - at least the first one, I've never heard the other one.
Relatively few people have.
I'm not even sure how many people who bought the single played the
flipside more than once. I did and have grown to like it,, but it's
obviously less commercial.

Chris
Robbie
2017-01-29 21:11:02 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Early 1988 usually seems popular, and in this chart are at least three
people who died last year. I think there were almost as many people who
had already died by 1988 though. One person who died in the intervening
years is soon to release an expensive vinyl box set that includes a
picture disc of his song in this chart.
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er, second
Top 40 week of another Australian act.
Playlists here. You'll only hear the Number 5 on Spotify if it's already
on your computer though.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5RwdTnc6FDmdcNpKfzUn6P
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqyBQWxgPMnyiHMR7Ry0q6e
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
Not the best of charts in what was a bit of a dull year and January was
a dull part of that year.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (8) Terence Trent D'Arby Sign Your Name
I wonder what he's up to these days?
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now
I've posted before that Tiffany promoted this record in the UK in much
the same way as she had done in the US, with a "mall tour". First stop
in the UK was Newcastle and it turned out to be something of a disaster.
She was meant to play two PA's, one in Eldon Square shopping centre -
that was abandoned when the area she was playing became overcrowded and
there was general mayhem as a result due to people pushing and shoving
each other. She then played a PA at HMV on Northumberland Street a
couple of hours later and that was abandoned when a crowd surge led to
someone falling through the shop window and tumbling out onto the
street! However it was third time lucky for her in Newcastle later that
day though as she made an appearance on The Roxy and actually got to
finish singing the record without any further occurrences of flying
bodies and flying glass.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (3) Krush House Arrest
Another of-it's-time record and one I did like. I bought this on 12".
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til
Bedtime)
Never saw the appeal though I did like the Neighbours theme bit.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (5) Cher I Found Someone
A big comeback hit for Cher. Good song.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stranglers All Day And All Of The Night
I remember being unimpressed with this cover at the time but thinking
about it, it's an ideal record for The Stranglers to have covered.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (9) Joyce Sims Come Into My Life
A big club hit and a decent track.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (6) Wet Wet Wet Angel Eyes
From Neighbours (Morris Minor) to "Home and Away" the subtitled (though
seemingly uncredited on the chart) part of this record. OK song.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (10) Climie Fisher Rise To The Occasion
There were two mixes of this single played on radio at the time. One was
more accoustic, the other had a slightly funkier backing.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
Falling fast. I never liked this version.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (17) AC/DC Heatseeker
Their biggest hit until 'Highway To hell' went top 10 a few years back.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) George Michael Father Figure
The best track on the album. A magnificent and moody record.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (26) The Beatmasters Rok Da House {1988} ft The Cookie Crew
Brutal sounding in places but a great dance track.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (22) The Christians Ideal World
Still releasing singles from their debut album. This track was the
biggest hit single.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
Finally reaching the top 40 on re-issue. Not very good though probably
their best single (of a bad bunch).
Post by Chris Brown
17. (12) Jellybean Jingo
Jellybean seemed to be everywhere in 1987/8.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
The old Erasure song brought Dollar back into the top 20 for the first
time in 6 years.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (15) Sinitta GTO
Dull.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (23) Bananarama I Can't Help It
Vaguely recall.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (42) Two Men, A Drum Machine And A Trumpet Tired Of Getting
Pushed Around
I still have the 12" single. Good track.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (NE) Luther Vandross Give Me The Reason {1988 re-issue}
All his singles seemed to need multiple re-issues before becoming hits.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (25) Jellybean Who Found Who ft Elisa Fiorillo
An excellent single.
Post by Chris Brown
47. (NE) Taylor Dayne Tell It To My Heart
Sums up the brutal and overproduced sound of many records in this era.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (67) Sinéad O'Connor Mandinka
Signed to Ensign Records by none other than Chris "Renta Santa" Hill. An
excellent single from a great album.
Post by Chris Brown
51. (81) Basia Promises
Ex Matt Bianco co-singer.
Post by Chris Brown
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
One of those Old Gold releases which always paired two big hits, usually
by the same act, on the A and B side. The B side to this release was
'Unchained Melody'.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-02-02 23:22:32 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Early 1988 usually seems popular, and in this chart are at least three
people who died last year. I think there were almost as many people
who had already died by 1988 though. One person who died in the
intervening years is soon to release an expensive vinyl box set that
includes a picture disc of his song in this chart.
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er,
second Top 40 week of another Australian act.
Playlists here. You'll only hear the Number 5 on Spotify if it's
already on your computer though.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5RwdTnc6FDmdcNpKfzUn6P
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqyBQWxgPMnyiHMR7Ry0q6e
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
Not the best of charts in what was a bit of a dull year and January was
a dull part of that year.
Not a lot of exciting new hits here.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (8) Terence Trent D'Arby Sign Your Name
I wonder what he's up to these days?
Apparently he's still releasing music under his new name. His last album
was double called The Rise Of The Zugebrian Time Lords and includes
covers of three Beatles album tracks.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Were people so excited about the songs?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (3) Krush House Arrest
Another of-it's-time record and one I did like. I bought this on 12".
Part of the famous dance-oriented Side 4 of Now 11.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep
'Til Bedtime)
Never saw the appeal though I did like the Neighbours theme bit.
Comedy rap records by a band named after a car were highly relevant to
my nine-year-old self's interests. I even watched the TV series.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (5) Cher I Found Someone
A big comeback hit for Cher.
But for me it was the first I knew of her.
Post by Robbie
Good song.
Yeah, it's OK.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stranglers All Day And All Of The Night
I remember being unimpressed with this cover at the time but thinking
about it, it's an ideal record for The Stranglers to have covered.
Though it sounds less punk than the original now.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (9) Joyce Sims Come Into My Life
A big club hit and a decent track.
I think you have to get into the right mood.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (6) Wet Wet Wet Angel Eyes
From Neighbours (Morris Minor) to "Home and Away" the subtitled (though
seemingly uncredited on the chart) part of this record. OK song.
I didn't even realise about the Home & Away bit till years later.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (10) Climie Fisher Rise To The Occasion
There were two mixes of this single played on radio at the time. One was
more accoustic, the other had a slightly funkier backing.
Yeah, I remember hearing both of them at the time.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
Falling fast. I never liked this version.
I thought it sounded alright at the time but I'm not so fond now.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (17) AC/DC Heatseeker
Their biggest hit until 'Highway To hell' went top 10 a few years back.
Though never their most famous.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) George Michael Father Figure
The best track on the album. A magnificent and moody record.
"Sometimes love can be mistaken for a crime". Hmm.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (26) The Beatmasters Rok Da House {1988} ft The Cookie Crew
Brutal sounding in places but a great dance track.
Not as catchy as the Krush one.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15. (22) The Christians Ideal World
Still releasing singles from their debut album. This track was the
biggest hit single.
Also very moody.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
Finally reaching the top 40 on re-issue. Not very good though probably
their best single (of a bad bunch).
At least it has some character to it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17. (12) Jellybean Jingo
Jellybean seemed to be everywhere in 1987/8.
But pretty much nowhere since 1989?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
The old Erasure song brought Dollar back into the top 20 for the first
time in 6 years.
It's certainly the first Dollar song I remember hearing, though I think
I might have been slightly aware they existed.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19. (15) Sinitta GTO
Dull.
I only liked it because of the car reference.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (23) Bananarama I Can't Help It
Vaguely recall.
Sounds about right.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
29. (42) Two Men, A Drum Machine And A Trumpet Tired Of
Getting Pushed Around
I still have the 12" single. Good track.
More Now 11 stuff.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
44. (NE) Luther Vandross Give Me The Reason {1988 re-issue}
All his singles seemed to need multiple re-issues before becoming hits.
Unless they were ballads.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
46. (25) Jellybean Who Found Who ft Elisa Fiorillo
An excellent single.
Quite catchy.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
47. (NE) Taylor Dayne Tell It To My Heart
Sums up the brutal and overproduced sound of many records in this era.
Particularly because the song is a bit thin.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
48. (67) Sinéad O'Connor Mandinka
Signed to Ensign Records by none other than Chris "Renta Santa" Hill.
I suppose he couldn't live on Renta Santa or Bionic Santa money for the
rest of his life.
Post by Robbie
An excellent single from a great album.
Not sure I could take a whole album of this.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
51. (81) Basia Promises
Ex Matt Bianco co-singer.
And IIRC this was as close as she got to a solo hit in the UK.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
One of those Old Gold releases which always paired two big hits, usually
by the same act, on the A and B side. The B side to this release was
'Unchained Melody'.
Together at last?!

Chris
James Heaton
2017-02-03 09:53:11 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep
'Til Bedtime)
Never saw the appeal though I did like the Neighbours theme bit.
Comedy rap records by a band named after a car were highly relevant to my
nine-year-old self's interests. I even watched the TV series.
The 'lead vocal' on this was Tony Hawks, who later had a hit in some
countries with Norman Wisdom. Best noted for peculiar travelogues (round
Ireland with a fridge anyone? Better than it sounds!) and being confused
with that skateboarder bloke.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
The old Erasure song brought Dollar back into the top 20 for the first
time in 6 years.
It's certainly the first Dollar song I remember hearing, though I think I
might have been slightly aware they existed.
On the David van Day front - I was recently watching the Xmas 75 TOTP which
I've had hanging around on a hard drive - There's a Whole Lotta Lovin was on
it. It was David van Day miming but I was pretty certain it wasn't his
voice - too low - so I Googled. Yup, it was 70s supersub Tony Burrows, with
legendary Pink Floyd sessioner Claire Torrey the female lead. Apparently
David and Teresa did sing the other Guys and Dolls tracks, but this one
started life as an advert so was done in session.

James
Chris Brown
2017-02-04 20:41:57 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep
'Til Bedtime)
Never saw the appeal though I did like the Neighbours theme bit.
Comedy rap records by a band named after a car were highly relevant to
my nine-year-old self's interests. I even watched the TV series.
The 'lead vocal' on this was Tony Hawks, who later had a hit in some
countries with Norman Wisdom.
Spoiler alert?
Post by James Heaton
Best noted for peculiar travelogues
(round Ireland with a fridge anyone? Better than it sounds!) and being
confused with that skateboarder bloke.
True, I think he has a section on his website about it.
As far as I know he's the only person in this chart who has met my Mum.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
The old Erasure song brought Dollar back into the top 20 for the first
time in 6 years.
It's certainly the first Dollar song I remember hearing, though I
think I might have been slightly aware they existed.
On the David van Day front - I was recently watching the Xmas 75 TOTP
which I've had hanging around on a hard drive - There's a Whole Lotta
Lovin was on it. It was David van Day miming but I was pretty certain
it wasn't his voice - too low - so I Googled. Yup, it was 70s supersub
Tony Burrows, with legendary Pink Floyd sessioner Claire Torrey the
female lead. Apparently David and Teresa did sing the other Guys and
Dolls tracks, but this one started life as an advert so was done in
session.
I picked up a best of Bucks Fizz in a charity shop the other day. But I
put it down again when I realised it was a re-recording from when David
Van Day was in the band.

Chris
Robbie
2017-02-03 19:28:57 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Since I posted the above... I was watching one of the music channels (I
think it was Vintage TV) last night and Belinda was being interviewed.
I'm assuming the interview was recent and obviously people age. But
until the interviewer said her name I didn't even recognise her and at
first was trying to work out who was being interviewed. She has
certainly aged though to be fair her number 1 here was 29 years ago.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I doubt it - she didn't seem to get to finish singing any! I wasn't
living up here at the time but I assume her appearance must have been
hyped well in advance in the local press as well as perhaps in the
national teen magazines.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-02-04 20:56:36 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Since I posted the above... I was watching one of the music channels (I
think it was Vintage TV) last night and Belinda was being interviewed.
I'm assuming the interview was recent and obviously people age. But
until the interviewer said her name I didn't even recognise her and at
first was trying to work out who was being interviewed. She has
certainly aged though to be fair her number 1 here was 29 years ago.
Also, she was doing a lot of drugs.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I suppose it was good publicity then.

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-02-05 07:01:11 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Since I posted the above... I was watching one of the music channels (I
think it was Vintage TV) last night and Belinda was being interviewed.
I'm assuming the interview was recent and obviously people age. But
until the interviewer said her name I didn't even recognise her and at
first was trying to work out who was being interviewed. She has
certainly aged though to be fair her number 1 here was 29 years ago.
Also, she was doing a lot of drugs.
Sometimes I wonder if 'doing drugs' is a requirement for your song to be
allowed in the charts... 8)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2017-02-06 11:43:42 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Since I posted the above... I was watching one of the music channels (I
think it was Vintage TV) last night and Belinda was being interviewed.
I'm assuming the interview was recent and obviously people age. But
until the interviewer said her name I didn't even recognise her and at
first was trying to work out who was being interviewed. She has
certainly aged though to be fair her number 1 here was 29 years ago.
Also, she was doing a lot of drugs.
Sometimes I wonder if 'doing drugs' is a requirement for your song to be
allowed in the charts... 8)
I didn't say she was doing drugs when this came out (although AIUI she
totally was) just that she had since.

Chris
Robbie
2017-02-06 19:26:33 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Showing its age the last time I heard it: a production very much of its
time.
God yes.
Since I posted the above... I was watching one of the music channels (I
think it was Vintage TV) last night and Belinda was being interviewed.
I'm assuming the interview was recent and obviously people age. But
until the interviewer said her name I didn't even recognise her and at
first was trying to work out who was being interviewed. She has
certainly aged though to be fair her number 1 here was 29 years ago.
Also, she was doing a lot of drugs.
Sometimes I wonder if 'doing drugs' is a requirement for your song to be
allowed in the charts... 8)
I didn't say she was doing drugs when this came out (although AIUI she
totally was) just that she had since.
She was also doing a lot of drugs before she released this record, while
she was in the Go-Gos.

I think there's a moral there, in connection with aging very quickly...
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Vidcapper
2017-02-07 07:13:39 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I guess they have to age quickly, as they're unlikely to live long
enough to do it at the normal rate...
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Col
2017-02-05 13:40:06 UTC
Post by Robbie
I doubt it - she didn't seem to get to finish singing any! I wasn't
living up here at the time but I assume her appearance must have been
hyped well in advance in the local press as well as perhaps in the
national teen magazines.
'Teen magazines'. How quaint.
Do such things even exist today?
Col
Robbie
2017-02-05 18:20:01 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
I doubt it - she didn't seem to get to finish singing any! I wasn't
living up here at the time but I assume her appearance must have been
hyped well in advance in the local press as well as perhaps in the
national teen magazines.
'Teen magazines'. How quaint.
Do such things even exist today?
I was thinking more of magazines like Number 1 and even Smash Hits but I
don't think anything like those exist today...
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-02-08 10:59:42 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
I doubt it - she didn't seem to get to finish singing any! I wasn't
living up here at the time but I assume her appearance must have been
hyped well in advance in the local press as well as perhaps in the
national teen magazines.
'Teen magazines'. How quaint.
Do such things even exist today?
Teen Vogue seems to be leading the resistance to Trump at the moment.

Chris
Chris Brown
2017-03-04 00:18:48 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Early 1988 usually seems popular, and in this chart are at least three
people who died last year. I think there were almost as many people who
had already died by 1988 though. One person who died in the intervening
years is soon to release an expensive vinyl box set that includes a
picture disc of his song in this chart.
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er, second
Top 40 week of another Australian act.
Playlists here. You'll only hear the Number 5 on Spotify if it's already
on your computer though.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5RwdTnc6FDmdcNpKfzUn6P
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqyBQWxgPMnyiHMR7Ry0q6e
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
1. (1) Belinda Carlisle Heaven Is A Place On Earth
Orbital used to play a mashup of this and 'Living On A Prayer' to
emphasise how similar they were.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (8) Terence Trent D'Arby Sign Your Name
The guy seems to be an arse but with hindsight this isn't a bad song.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Tiffany I Think We're Alone Now
This sounded good at the time but not so much now.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (3) Krush House Arrest
Something intriguing about that lyric "If you're looking for love, don't
follow me".
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Morris Minor And The Majors Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til
Bedtime)
Tony Hawks and his friends with one of my favourite novelty records. I
even watched the sitcom.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (5) Cher I Found Someone
I didn't realise how old she was then.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stranglers All Day And All Of The Night
Covering the Stranglers with a future member of the Propellerheads in
the brass section. It was a promotion for a live album but this is a
studio version.
In fact they were so desperate to promote this they mimed it on New
Year's Day on a show that you could mistake for an Alan Partridge-esque
spoof if you didn't recognise the people:

Post by Chris Brown
8. (9) Joyce Sims Come Into My Life
I always remember a sketch Trevor & Simon did on Going Live where they
added the word "bin" to various current songs. Which might be the only
time somebody has said "Come into my bin" on children's TV.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (6) Wet Wet Wet Angel Eyes
In their first run of hits when they seemed unstoppable.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (10) Climie Fisher Rise To The Occasion
Available in two versions. Neither particularly good but the hip-hop
version is marginally less boring.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
I'm not sure how I already knew this wasn't the original, given that
some people my age didn't.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (17) AC/DC Heatseeker
One of their biggest hits, apparently, though not their most famous song.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) George Michael Father Figure
Had peaked at 11 in its second chart week; like most of the singles from
Faith it wasn't as big as you might think in the UK.
It does sound a bit dodgy.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (22) The Christians Ideal World
In which they oddly compare "the ideal world" with "my real world". I
don't think I'd want to claim ownership of that realy world, they make
it sound awful.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (39) Bros When Will I Be Famous
For about two years?
Post by Chris Brown
17. (12) Jellybean Jingo
A bigger hit than I remembered it being. Nobody mentions it now.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (33) Dollar O L'Amour
Comeback hit although I hadn't really been aware of them before.
And of course a cover of the flop Erasure song.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (15) Sinitta GTO
"He's got a big red GTO". Calm down, it's a car.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (23) Bananarama I Can't Help It
I do remember it, but I didn't think about it for about 20 years.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (14) Rick Astley When I Fall In Love
Actually quite a good version.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (24) GOSH The Wishing Well
Forgotten charity single.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (48) Mötley Crüe You're All I Need
Nobody needs this though.
Post by Chris Brown
24. (21) Depeche Mode Behind The Wheel
Not one of their more memorable hits.
Post by Chris Brown
25. (35) INXS New Sensation
Took them a long time to have a hit in the UK, but at least when they
did it had an appropriate title.
Bonus fact: their first three UK Top 40 singles all start with the
letters "NE".
Post by Chris Brown
26. (16) Michael Jackson The Way You Make Me Feel
I did like this one. I remember jumping on the sofa to re-enact the video.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Billy Idol Hot In The City {1988 remix}
I did not re-enact this video. Which is lucky as it would have involved
smashing through a wall and riding a motorbike without a helmet.
Post by Chris Brown
28. (20) Johnny Hates Jazz Turn Back The Clock
I liked this then, but it sounds a bit smarmy now.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (42) Two Men, A Drum Machine And A Trumpet Tired Of Getting
Pushed Around
Some of the Fine Young Cannibals and their instruments make a house record.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (47) Elton John Candle In The Wind (Live)
A surprisingly massive hit for a live version of an already familiar
song, at a time when he wasn't consistently having big hits.
Post by Chris Brown
31. (37) Lloyd Cole And The Commotions Jennifer She Said
Confusing title but quite a good song. Cole can seem quite smug
sometimes but he's made some good records.
Post by Chris Brown
32. (18) Alison Moyet Love Letters
Her second jazz-era cover, in the days when that was a surprising thing
for an 80s pop star to do.
Post by Chris Brown
34. (32) Public Enemy Bring The Noise
Sorry, I thought you were bringing the noise. I'll see if we can pick
some up on the journey.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (NE) Debbie Gibson Shake Your Love
One of the relatively few of her songs I can actually remember.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) All About Eve Wild Hearted Woman
Their first Top 40 IIRC.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (52) Jermaine Stewart Say It Again
He had more hits than the irritating one.
Post by Chris Brown
38. (48) Black Paradise
His third and last Top 40 hit. Sadly he died in January 2016.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (19) The Pogues Fairytale Of New York ft Kirsty MacColl
The famous Christmas Number One that wasn't.
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
I knew all the words to this when I was 9. I didn't understand them but
I knew them.
Post by Chris Brown
41. (43) Eurythmics Shame
Closer to their artier side that I preferred but not especially memorable.
Post by Chris Brown
42. (73) The Screaming Blue Messiahs I Wanna Be A Flintstone
Of course I remember this, because I was a child and it was a really
bonkers record.
I don't know whether they'd need permission to use the name now.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (NE) Luther Vandross Give Me The Reason {1988 re-issue}
Second of three releases for this. I think it was promoting the album
this time.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (25) Jellybean Who Found Who ft Elisa Fiorillo
The hit he's known for.
Post by Chris Brown
47. (NE) Taylor Dayne Tell It To My Heart
And very much the hit she's known for.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (67) Sinéad O'Connor Mandinka
No longer the hit she's known for, though it made a big impression at
the time.
Post by Chris Brown
49. (29) New Order Touched By The Hand Of God
One of their last non-album singles.
A reader of Q Magazine once asked Bernard Sumner whether this song was
about "whacking off". He denied all knowledge.
Post by Chris Brown
50. (30) Alexander O'Neal Criticize
Possibly his best single?
Post by Chris Brown
51. (81) Basia Promises
She never did manage a solo hit.
Post by Chris Brown
52. (62) Feargal Sharkey More Love
He had several solo hits, though they're not what he's known for really.
Post by Chris Brown
53. (40) Simply Red Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
Also covering an oldie.
Post by Chris Brown
54. (90) Kylie Minogue I Should Be So Lucky
Her first Top 75 week.
Post by Chris Brown
55. (59) Jethro Tull Said She Was A Dancer
Strange to see them charting in the 80s.
Post by Chris Brown
56. (51) Damian Time Warp II
Later remixed and retitled as just 'The Time Warp'.
Post by Chris Brown
57. (27) Nat King Cole When I Fall In Love {1987 re-issue}
Allegedly a "spoiler" for the Rick Astley version.
Post by Chris Brown
58. (60) Elvis Presley Stuck On You {1988 re-issue}
Good song but out of place here.
Post by Chris Brown
60. (34) Wally Jump Jnr. And The Criminal Element Tighten Up (I
Just Can't Stop Dancin')
Arthur Baker.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (NE) Deacon Blue Dignity
Re-recording of a previous flop single, though the original version was
successfully re-released in 1994. I believe it's the only Top 40 hit to
mention Maynard Keynes.
Post by Chris Brown
62. (54) Fleetwood Mac Family Man
It was an even-numbered single from the album, so of course it flopped
even though there were loads of remixes (soon to be re-issued)
Post by Chris Brown
63. (68) Wendy And Lisa Side Show
I don't know whether this was realted to their time in Prince's band.
Post by Chris Brown
65. (36) Madonna The Look Of Love
Not the ABC song.
Post by Chris Brown
66. (NE) Eddy Grant Gimme Hope Jo'anna
This seemed like a big comeback at the time, though he hadn't been way
that long in retrospect.
Post by Chris Brown
67. (NE) Scarlet Fantastic Plug Me In (To The Central Love Line)
Sounds dangerous.
Post by Chris Brown
68. (63) Barry White Never Never Gonna Give You Up
Not sure why this was re-released.
Post by Chris Brown
69. (41) George Harrison Got My Mind Set On You
His last really big hit and as it was also his first in a long time, the
first I knew of him as a solo singer.
Post by Chris Brown
72. (44) Whitney Houston So Emotional
Quite good.
Post by Chris Brown
73. (87) Bruce Willis Comin' Right Up
Quite not good.
Post by Chris Brown
79. (NE) The Triffids Trick Of The Light
Beloved Australian group with what proved to be their only UK Top 75
single.
Post by Chris Brown
82. (84) Cross Shove It
The drummer from Queen without the interesting ones.
Post by Chris Brown
84. (RE) The Smiths Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Their last single of the 80s.
Post by Chris Brown
85. (95) Luxuria Redneck
The band Magazine and the Buzzcocks could have been.
Post by Chris Brown
88. (92) Eric Carmen Hungry Eyes
Never made the Top 75 here but everyone seems to know it now.
Post by Chris Brown
89. (82) Candido Jingo {1988 re-issue}
Re-released to cash in on the Jellybean version.
Post by Chris Brown
90. (93) The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Loving Feeling
Re-released because they always did.
Post by Chris Brown
93. (RE) The Housemartins Build
They split up during the video shoot for this.
Post by Chris Brown
94. (RE) M/A/R/R/S Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The First Time I
See She Dance)
Steven Young, who was the "S" in M|A|R|R|S and contributed the drum
programming on 'Anitina', died in 2016.
Post by Chris Brown
95. (86) Sugarcubes Birthday
Charted 3 times but never got higher than 64.
Post by Chris Brown
96. (NE) Mental As Anything He's Just No Good For You
97. (NE) The Hooters Karla With A K
Two acts known as one-hit-wonders here scraping into the lower charts
with other songs.
Post by Chris Brown
98. (NE) Bourgeois Tagg I Don't Mind At All
They really were a bloke called Bourgeois and a bloke called Tagg.
Bourgeois later became a Christian singer.

Chris
Heinz Kesting
2017-03-04 14:53:11 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
I knew all the words to this when I was 9. I didn't understand them but
I knew them.
Back then I was so fascinated by this song and its athmosphere, but
didn't care so much for the lyrics. As a German with English as a
foreign language unfortunately I am still in this stadium of not
understanding what the song is actually about.
Can you, please give some explanation and background of the song? Now I
read something on Wikipedia that it would relate to Frankenstein in a
way? Never dreamed of that ...
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
96. (NE) Mental As Anything He's Just No Good For You
97. (NE) The Hooters Karla With A K
Two acts known as one-hit-wonders here scraping into the lower charts
with other songs.
I wouldn't call The Hooters a One-Hit-Wonder with lots of great songs
from the mid 80's to the early 90's on 4 really good albums.
However they did much better in the US and German charts, so technically
for chart runs in the UK you're right, of course.

Kind regards, Heinz
Chris Brown
2017-03-04 23:31:04 UTC
Post by Heinz Kesting
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
I knew all the words to this when I was 9. I didn't understand them but
I knew them.
Back then I was so fascinated by this song and its athmosphere, but
didn't care so much for the lyrics. As a German with English as a
foreign language unfortunately I am still in this stadium of not
understanding what the song is actually about.
Can you, please give some explanation and background of the song? Now I
read something on Wikipedia that it would relate to Frankenstein in a
way? Never dreamed of that ...
I hadn't really thought of it before but it makes some sense in terms of
the "second birth" and all that. Although I'm not sure who the female
protagonist would be, as Dr Frankenstein was a male character.

I do like the idea of "Don't wish too hard because they may come true"
though.
Post by Heinz Kesting
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
96. (NE) Mental As Anything He's Just No Good For You
97. (NE) The Hooters Karla With A K
Two acts known as one-hit-wonders here scraping into the lower charts
with other songs.
I wouldn't call The Hooters a One-Hit-Wonder with lots of great songs
from the mid 80's to the early 90's on 4 really good albums.
However they did much better in the US and German charts, so technically
for chart runs in the UK you're right, of course.
Yeah, they're only know here for the one song (and even that is more
famous than the band themselves) which fits the usual definition,
deservedly or otherwise.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-03-05 13:19:41 UTC
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 23:31:04 +0000, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Heinz Kesting
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
40. (28) T'Pau China In Your Hand
I knew all the words to this when I was 9. I didn't understand them but
I knew them.
Back then I was so fascinated by this song and its athmosphere, but
didn't care so much for the lyrics. As a German with English as a
foreign language unfortunately I am still in this stadium of not
understanding what the song is actually about.
Can you, please give some explanation and background of the song? Now I
read something on Wikipedia that it would relate to Frankenstein in a
way? Never dreamed of that ...
I hadn't really thought of it before but it makes some sense in terms of
the "second birth" and all that. Although I'm not sure who the female
protagonist would be, as Dr Frankenstein was a male character.
Taking the first verse as an example...

It was a theme she had
On a scheme he had
Told in a foreign land
To take life on earth
To the second birth
And the man was in command
It was a flight on the wings
Of a young girl's dreams
That flew too far away

...the female protagonist ("theme she had") relate to Mary Shelley,
the author, while the male protagonist ("a scheme he had") relate to
her fictional protagonist, Dr Frankenstein. And "To take life on earth
/ to the second birth" refers to the creation of the monster, while
"Told in a foreign land" is the primary setting of the book's
narrative.

Other things that help make the link clearer are the fact that Shelley
was only 20 when the book was published, and she is on record as
stating that the plot was based on a dream she had had about a
scientist trying to create life - which leads to the "young girl's
dreams" of the lyrics. The song's theme about not pursuing your dreams
too far in case they come true is also a reference to the fictional Dr
Frankenstein's own regret at what he had created.

It's possibly a tad clearer when you read the full original lyrics
from the album version, as they explicitly refer to "the monster" and
other elements from the book such as "life will return in this
electric storm".

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/T-Pau-2/China-In-Your-Hand-Full-Length-Album-Version

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-03-06 22:25:47 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Heinz Kesting
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I had thought of Mary Shelley, but that does make it sound a bit like he
was a real doctor and she wrote the story after he'd really done it.
Post by Mark Goodge
And "To take life on earth
/ to the second birth" refers to the creation of the monster, while
"Told in a foreign land" is the primary setting of the book's
narrative.
Other things that help make the link clearer are the fact that Shelley
was only 20 when the book was published, and she is on record as
stating that the plot was based on a dream she had had about a
scientist trying to create life - which leads to the "young girl's
dreams" of the lyrics. The song's theme about not pursuing your dreams
too far in case they come true is also a reference to the fictional Dr
Frankenstein's own regret at what he had created.
And presumably the real point of writing the song in the first place.

Chris
Heinz Kesting
2017-03-06 22:47:15 UTC
Hi Mark,
Post by Mark Goodge
[...]
With that knowledge the whole picture of the lyrics becomes much more
clearer. Unfortunately I didn't read the book, neither knew much of the
background, like the plot was based on a writer's dream and all this.
Most interesting, just to cite Miss Marple! (gr)

Really appreciate this discussion. And anyway, a great song.

Kind regards, Heinz
James Heaton
2017-03-04 21:06:04 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Early 1988 usually seems popular, and in this chart are at least three
people who died last year. I think there were almost as many people who
had already died by 1988 though. One person who died in the intervening
years is soon to release an expensive vinyl box set that includes a
picture disc of his song in this chart.
Also the Top 75 debut of a popular Australian act, plus the, er, second
Top 40 week of another Australian act.
Playlists here. You'll only hear the Number 5 on Spotify if it's already
on your computer though.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5RwdTnc6FDmdcNpKfzUn6P
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqyBQWxgPMnyiHMR7Ry0q6e
Chart dated 23rd January 1988
11. (2) Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind
I'm not sure how I already knew this wasn't the original, given that some
people my age didn't.
I was certainly well aware of it, every time it came on the radio my mother
would mutter, Elvis was better..!
Post by Chris Brown
61. (NE) Deacon Blue Dignity
Re-recording of a previous flop single, though the original version was
successfully re-released in 1994. I believe it's the only Top 40 hit to
mention Maynard Keynes.
I absolutely love the lyrics of this, the descriptiveness enables you to
almost see the bloke. Sandwiches in a Sunblest bag, picking dog shit from
the gutter and dreaming of his holidays.

The line about 'sail her up the west coast through villages and towns'
always makes me think of Portpatrick, we had the album on the car cd player
when we were in the area a few years ago.

Lyrics.com suggests there are only 2 songs mentioning Maynard Keynes... 2
different version of this one!
Post by Chris Brown
98. (NE) Bourgeois Tagg I Don't Mind At All
They really were a bloke called Bourgeois and a bloke called Tagg.
Bourgeois later became a Christian singer.
I used to work with a bloke called Bourgeois. He was something in
environmental consultancy, worked a couple of years with us in business
development.

James
Chris Brown
2017-03-04 23:20:52 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I don't think my Mum's ever been a particular Elvis fan, although she
did make similar remarks about many other charting cover versions in the
80s.
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
61. (NE) Deacon Blue Dignity
Re-recording of a previous flop single, though the original version
was successfully re-released in 1994. I believe it's the only Top 40
hit to mention Maynard Keynes.
I absolutely love the lyrics of this, the descriptiveness enables you to
almost see the bloke. Sandwiches in a Sunblest bag, picking dog shit
from the gutter and dreaming of his holidays.
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with some wordy Deacon Blue
lyrics, but I know what they're trying to do.
Post by James Heaton
Lyrics.com suggests there are only 2 songs mentioning Maynard Keynes...
2 different version of this one!
(insert joke about "Come To Maynard Keynes" by the Style Council)
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
98. (NE) Bourgeois Tagg I Don't Mind At All
They really were a bloke called Bourgeois and a bloke called Tagg.
Bourgeois later became a Christian singer.
I used to work with a bloke called Bourgeois. He was something in
environmental consultancy, worked a couple of years with us in business
development.
Probably not the same guy, then.

This guy is called Brent Bourgeois. That fascinated me because I lived
in Brent and I didn't realise it was a person's name.

Chris
Rink
2021-03-01 20:09:02 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
7.     (7)    The Stranglers    All Day And All Of The Night
Covering the Stranglers with a future member of the Propellerheads in
the brass section. It was a promotion for a live album but this is a
studio version.
In fact they were so desperate to promote this they mimed it on New
Year's Day on a show that you could mistake for an Alan Partridge-esque
http://youtu.be/CVJuxKkzVdU
And YouTube deleted the audio......
Why?
Robbie
2021-03-01 21:47:24 UTC
Post by Rink
Post by Chris Brown
7.     (7)    The Stranglers    All Day And All Of The Night
Covering the Stranglers with a future member of the Propellerheads in
the brass section. It was a promotion for a live album but this is a
studio version.
In fact they were so desperate to promote this they mimed it on New
Year's Day on a show that you could mistake for an Alan
http://youtu.be/CVJuxKkzVdU
And YouTube deleted the audio......
Why?
The audio was probably deleted by the uploader to stop the video from
being taken down. It usually involves a copyright claim by the rights
holder.