I'm only going to post, post an old 2009 chart
Chris Brown
2016-10-02 22:12:33 UTC
Sorry it's late, all, but I was sidetracked by the OCC listing of all
the singles that peaked at 11. Then I'd just finished making the
playlist for this week's old chart when I thought of a reason not to use
it. So, here's a different one instead, from the distant days when Lady
Gaga singles could last more than a week in the Top 40.
By my count there are only two singles here that peaked at 11.

Spotify playlist here. I'll have to post the YouTube one when I've done it.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6tNxZgqDdaQCq3VQpGcQVE

Chart date: 3rd October 2009

1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
2. (2) David Guetta Sexy Chick ft Akon
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
5. (4) Jay-Z Run This Town ft Rihanna & Kanye West
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
9. (8) Dizzee Rascal Holiday
10. (9) Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo
11. (NE) Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
17. (NE) Basshunter Every Morning
18. (12) Muse Uprising
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
20. (NE) Example Watch The Sun Come Up
21. (29) Pitbull Hotel Room Service
22. (17) Beyonce Sweet Dreams
23. (20) Sean Kingston Fire Burning
24. (19) Tinchy Stryder Never Leave You ft Amelle
25. (47) Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
26. (24) Ian Carey Project Get Shaky
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
28. (22) Esmee Denters Outta Here
29. (23) Mr Hudson Supernova ft Kanye West
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
31. (21) Paloma Faith New York
32. (35) Jay-Z Young Forever ft Mr Hudson
33. (26) JLS Beat Again
34. (31) Lady Gaga Paparazzi
35. (NE) Jade Ewen My Man
36. (33) La Roux Bulletproof
37. (27) Calvin Harris Ready For The Weekend
38. (37) Pitbull I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
39. (NE) Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)
40. (39) Cascada Evacuate The Dancefloor
41. (38) Jeremih Birthday Sex
42. (55) Dizzee Rascal / Armand Van Helden Bonkers
43. (74) Naturi Naughton Fame
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
45. (43) Keri Hilson Energy
46. (36) Just Jack The Day I Died
47. (44) The Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow
48. (46) Jason Mraz I'm Yours
49. (28) Wale Chillin ft Lady Gaga
50. (50) Daniel Merriweather Red
51. (32) Nneka Heartbeat
52. (51) Lady Gaga Poker Face
53. (45) Pixie Lott Mama Do
54. (RE) Alicia Keys If I Ain't Got You
55. (91) La Roux I'm Not Your Toy
56. (NE) Beyonce Broken-Hearted Girl
57. (RE) Seal Kiss From A Rose
58. (63) deadmau5 Ghosts 'n' Stuff
59. (41) Lily Allen 22
60. (53) Florence + The Machine Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
62. (49) Hockey Song Away
63. (57) La Roux In For The Kill
64. (54) Florence + The Machine Drumming Song
65. (34) Booty Luv Say It
66. (61) Tinchy Stryder Number 1 ft N-Dubz
67. (68) Kid Cudi Make Her Say ft Kanye & Common
68. (60) Noisettes Never Forget You
69. (62) Florence + The Machine You've Got The Love
70. (66) Keri Hilson Knock You Down
71. (NE) Newton Faulkner If This Is It
72. (64) Kasabian Fire
73. (52) Livvi Franc Now I'm That Chick ft Pitbull
74. (87) Journey Don't Stop Believin'
75. (89) Lady Gaga Just Dance
76. (48) Jamie T Chaka Demus EP
[Chaka Demus; Forget Me Not (The Love I Knew Before I Grew); Planning
Spontaneity; When They Are Gone (for Tim)]
77. (71) Jordin Sparks Battlefield
78. (40) Cliff Richard And The Shadows Singing The Blues
79. (59) 4 Strings Take Me Away Into The Night
80. (73) Veronicas Untouched
81. (90) Beyonce Halo
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
83. (58) Biffy Clyro That Golden Rule
84. (78) Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror
85. (67) Agnes Release Me
86. (RE) Empire Of The Sun We Are The People
87. (95) Elbow One Day Like This
88. (86) 3OH!3 Don't Trust Me
89. (RE) Dizzee Rascal Dance Wiv Me
90. (RE) Coldplay Viva La Vida
91. (RE) Chris Brown With You
92. (65) Flo Rida Jump ft Nelly Furtado
93. (83) Beyonce Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
94. (93) Pixie Lott Use Somebody
95. (NE) Rammstein Pussy
96. (76) Chipmunk Diamond Rings ft Emeli Sandé
97. (75) Sub Focus Rock It / Follow The Light
98. (69) Stevie Wonder Superstition
99. (81) Chicane Poppiholla
100. (70) Peter Andre Behind Closed Doors

Chris
Vidcapper
2016-10-03 05:53:46 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
I'd forgotten this peaked at #4.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
About the ony one of their songs I can tolerate.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
A good pop tune.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
OK
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
OK
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
OK
Post by Chris Brown
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
Well over the hill by this point.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Could never stand this one! :(
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
OK
Post by Chris Brown
25. (47) Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
Slightly less intolerable than the other one.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
The last non-Kylie physical single I bought.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
Good
Post by Chris Brown
34. (31) Lady Gaga Paparazzi
Good
Post by Chris Brown
36. (33) La Roux Bulletproof
OK
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
Ok
Post by Chris Brown
48. (46) Jason Mraz I'm Yours
Recently lost its title of best-selling #11
Post by Chris Brown
52. (51) Lady Gaga Poker Face
Her best song.
Post by Chris Brown
53. (45) Pixie Lott Mama Do
Ditto
Post by Chris Brown
59. (41) Lily Allen 22
Not her best.
Post by Chris Brown
63. (57) La Roux In For The Kill
OK
Post by Chris Brown
69. (62) Florence + The Machine You've Got The Love
Good cover.
Post by Chris Brown
75. (89) Lady Gaga Just Dance
Good
Post by Chris Brown
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
Still her best song IMO
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-10-03 12:06:04 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
I'd forgotten this peaked at #4.
That seems a very specific thing not to remember. Unless you have some
particular interest in Number 4 hits?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
About the ony one of their songs I can tolerate.
What's the difference from the others?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
A good pop tune.
Little bit thin.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
OK
Must admit I don't really remember this one. I remember it existing but
not the song.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
OK
This irritated me.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
OK
Her biggest hit, it turned out.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
Well over the hill by this point.
Although it wasn't even the last line-up.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Could never stand this one! :(
The KoL song I can't stand is 'Fans'. This one I just think is rubbish.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
OK
Not her best song. Not even her best in this chart.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
25. (47) Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
Slightly less intolerable than the other one.
This is in the very small category of their songs that I like, althugh
even this is a bit overplayed.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
The last non-Kylie physical single I bought.
That's also quite specific, but more understandable that you remember it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
Good
I don't remember it, and Spotify isn't going to remind me.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
34. (31) Lady Gaga Paparazzi
Good
Better than the song ahead of it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
36. (33) La Roux Bulletproof
OK
I think this is OK too.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
40. (39) Cascada Evacuate The Dancefloor
Good
I think this is competent.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
Ok
Never really warmed to it though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
48. (46) Jason Mraz I'm Yours
Recently lost its title of best-selling #11
Still in contention for the worst though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
52. (51) Lady Gaga Poker Face
Her best song.
Bad Romance?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
53. (45) Pixie Lott Mama Do
Ditto
Can't agree there, I'm afraid.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
59. (41) Lily Allen 22
Not her best.
Not even as good as the Taylor Swift song of the same title.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
63. (57) La Roux In For The Kill
OK
Little bit too screechy.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
69. (62) Florence + The Machine You've Got The Love
Good cover.
I did get tired of it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
75. (89) Lady Gaga Just Dance
Good
Almost forgotten now.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
Still her best song IMO
I never liked. It even put me off her better stuff.

Chris
Vidcapper
2016-10-03 14:44:42 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
I'd forgotten this peaked at #4.
That seems a very specific thing not to remember. Unless you have some
particular interest in Number 4 hits?
Or the video for a hit... ;)
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
About the ony one of their songs I can tolerate.
What's the difference from the others?
It was tolerable. :p
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
A good pop tune.
Little bit thin.
Was she? :)
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
OK
Her biggest hit, it turned out.
Or *only* hit...
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-10-03 19:42:51 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
I'd forgotten this peaked at #4.
That seems a very specific thing not to remember. Unless you have some
particular interest in Number 4 hits?
Or the video for a hit... ;)
...But I don't remember a lot of 4s in the video?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
About the ony one of their songs I can tolerate.
What's the difference from the others?
It was tolerable. :p
It's still got rapping on it though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
A good pop tune.
Little bit thin.
Was she? :)
Yeah. I sometimes read the London Evening Standard, a publication which
is never accused of publishing insufficient photos of Pixie Lott, so I
feel quite well-informed on this point.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
OK
Her biggest hit, it turned out.
Or *only* hit...
...Apart from 'New In Town', which also went T20.

Chris
Chris Brown
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrojQmyarpMf20CA_qySWau
Robbie
2016-10-08 18:55:57 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Sorry it's late, all, but I was sidetracked by the OCC listing of all
the singles that peaked at 11. Then I'd just finished making the
playlist for this week's old chart when I thought of a reason not to use
it. So, here's a different one instead, from the distant days when Lady
Gaga singles could last more than a week in the Top 40.
By my count there are only two singles here that peaked at 11.
Spotify playlist here. I'll have to post the YouTube one when I've done it.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6tNxZgqDdaQCq3VQpGcQVE
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
Not the best of charts by any means. In fact most of the records here
are abysmal!
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
and let's start with an awful song...
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) David Guetta Sexy Chick ft Akon
and follow it with another... actually I didn't mind this one.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
Fairly good but I prefer Alicia's solo version.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
Her last top 10 hit. OK.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Jay-Z Run This Town ft Rihanna & Kanye West
Vaguely recall.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
I quite liked this one.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
Does this still hold the record for the biggest climb to number 1 within
the top 75? It moved 73-1.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
Fairly dull.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (8) Dizzee Rascal Holiday
I can't recall - is this based around Madonna's song of the same name?
Post by Chris Brown
10. (9) Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo
OK song. I don't think I ever knew who they were.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (NE) Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash
He seemed to be everywhere at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
I did like this for a while until XFM played it to death.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
I know I heard it at the time but can't recall a thing about it. His
last top 5 /10 / 40 hit.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
I think I have this on download on some compilation. Not a bad song by
the singer who was much hyped but delivered very little in the way of
success.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
No thanks.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
I also have this on download. I did like it and can put up with it once
in a while.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (NE) Basshunter Every Morning
Totally forgotten track. His fourth and last top 20 hit.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Uprising
Vaguely recall.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
I have no recollection of this one.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (NE) Example Watch The Sun Come Up
Nor this.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Vidcapper
2016-10-09 06:18:08 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
2. (2) David Guetta Sexy Chick ft Akon
and follow it with another... actually I didn't mind this one.
You mean the real one, or the tame radio version? ;)
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
I think I have this on download on some compilation. Not a bad song by
the singer who was much hyped but delivered very little in the way of
success.
I wasn't keen on this - much preferred her other hit.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-10-19 22:41:48 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
and let's start with an awful song...
It's funny how Taio Cruz had a big run of success and then seemed to
disappear from the face of the earth. And nobody really noticed.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) David Guetta Sexy Chick ft Akon
and follow it with another... actually I didn't mind this one.
Akon sort of disappeared too, come to think of it. Unfortunately not
until after he made this record.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
Fairly good but I prefer Alicia's solo version.
I just found that one dull.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
Her last top 10 hit. OK.
The wolf sound effects needed work though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Jay-Z Run This Town ft Rihanna & Kanye West
Vaguely recall.
Jay-Z's first lead-credit Number One.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
I quite liked this one.
I always found it too repetitive and samey.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
Does this still hold the record for the biggest climb to number 1 within
the top 75? It moved 73-1.
It would be difficult to beat that within the Top 75.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
Fairly dull.
Yeah, even she sounds bored.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (8) Dizzee Rascal Holiday
I can't recall - is this based around Madonna's song of the same name?
No, although that would be a funny coincidence.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (9) Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo
OK song. I don't think I ever knew who they were.
There was some hype about them as an act (they were a duo) but it soon
became obvious people were only into this one song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (NE) Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash
He seemed to be everywhere at the time.
He did. This one of course is based on the Adventures Of Stevie V track,
though retitled.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
I did like this for a while until XFM played it to death.
I found those high-pitched vocals quite irritating.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
I know I heard it at the time but can't recall a thing about it. His
last top 5 /10 / 40 hit.
Imagine if you took the singles from his first album and decided they
weren't irritating enough.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
I think I have this on download on some compilation.
I have it on CD on Now 74.
Post by Robbie
Not a bad song by
the singer who was much hyped but delivered very little in the way of
success.
And probably did worse out of it than if she'd just been able to work
her way up normally.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
No thanks.
An ill-advised single for them.
Apparently the version of this on Now 74 is a re-recording.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
I also have this on download. I did like it and can put up with it once
in a while.
I downloaded the whole album when it was free on Google, but I've never
actually listened to it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17. (NE) Basshunter Every Morning
Totally forgotten track. His fourth and last top 20 hit.
I certainly didn't remember it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Uprising
Vaguely recall.
I remembered part of it, but I'd forgotten the bit that sounded like Dr
Who.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
I have no recollection of this one.
It's the one where she says she wants to ride your disco stick.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (NE) Example Watch The Sun Come Up
Nor this.
His first big hit.

Chris
John
2016-10-13 19:07:27 UTC
In article <nss0nl$q85$***@dont-email.me>, Chris Brown, ***@yahoo.com says...

I wasn't really following music at this time, although it was around this time (August) that I started my current
business.
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
Loved Empire State of Minds Part 2: Broken Down and had always wondered what had happened to Part one. So I
learnt tonight that this was originally a rap song by Jay Z featuring vocals from Alicia, and the following year
she recorded her version of the New York vocals.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
The first song I remember from this chart. OK but poor compared to some of their other stuff.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Definitely remember this, which I guess will become a classic. Not my kind of music but good in itself
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Upri
Sad story of a Muse fan who disapeared into thin air 2 years earlier. His dad is a friend of a friend

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/missing-andrew-gosdens-father-our-last-420267
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
I didn't know Lady Gaga was around this early
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
or Taylor Swift
Post by Chris Brown
34. (31) Lady Gaga Paparazzi
but I remember Paparazzi so this must have been when she made the big time?
Post by Chris Brown
48. (46) Jason Mraz I'm Yours
Yep, really like this one
Post by Chris Brown
57. (RE) Seal Kiss From A Rose
One that had definitely stood the test of time, I love this. Just read that Seal was embarrassed about this song
initially and kept it hidden for 7 years.
Post by Chris Brown
59. (41) Lily Allen 22
Not her best but not bad. I have the CD this was taken from and my favourite is Chinese, I absolutely love the
lyrics on it. It was never released as a single much to my disapointment.
Post by Chris Brown
91. (RE) Chris Brown With You
Not THE Chris Brown who posts our yesteryear charts surely?
Mark Goodge
2016-10-14 19:51:57 UTC
(I know I'm a week behind. I don't care. I might catch up later).
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
Only seven years ago, but it seems like a lot longer. At the time, I had
only fairly recently changed jobs, and it so happened that I shared an
office with a bunch of people who liked to have the radio on while we
worked. We had a vote on which station to listen to. Radio 1 won. I was
outvoted, but wasn't too bothered by it (I was more concerned that we'd end
up with Touch FM). So, for the first time in a while, I was actually
familiar with a lot of chart stuff.

Having said that, much of it blurs into one. There's a lot of typical
late-noughties stuff here that, while I recognise on listening, isn't
otherwise particularly memorable.

I've seen two of the acts in this chart play live, or one and a half if you
consider that the absence of a named backing group makes a difference. And
I wasn't really paying attention to the other one at the time as he was
just a warm-up act and I was more concerned about getting some chips. On an
entirely separate note, I've met the dad of the lead singer of one of the
acts in this chart.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
I quite liked this.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
Good song.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
Oddly enough, this was on the Absolute Radio iPod not so long ago. Good
song. A bit atypical for the time.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
I liked this at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
She was never quite as successful as the hype. But this is, nonetheless, a
very good song.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Not that I claim to be an expert, but if your sex really is on fire then I
suspect you may be doing it wrong.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Uprising
Very good song.
Post by Chris Brown
42. (55) Dizzee Rascal / Armand Van Helden Bonkers
I was once videoed drunkenly dancing to this as part of the recording of a
TV programme I appeared on a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the footage
never made it to the broadcast.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
I quite like this.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Post by Chris Brown
72. (64) Kasabian Fire
This has also been a common feature of the Absolute Radio iPod.
Post by Chris Brown
74. (87) Journey Don't Stop Believin'
Goof song, although of course not native to this chart.
Post by Chris Brown
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
For a Taylor Swift song, I quite like this.
Post by Chris Brown
87. (95) Elbow One Day Like This
Great song.
Post by Chris Brown
90. (RE) Coldplay Viva La Vida
Good song, although I associate it more with its previous chart run and
hence with the things going on in my life at that time. Oddly enough, it
always reminds me of junction 4 on the M54.
Post by Chris Brown
99. (81) Chicane Poppiholla
This song lasted exactly as long as it took me to drive to the nearest
supermarket.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Chris Brown
2016-10-19 23:28:14 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
Only seven years ago, but it seems like a lot longer.
It does. In some ways some of the charts from the 90s feel more
"current" to me. And It doesn't seem many of the acts in here could be
expected to have a hit single now.
Post by Mark Goodge
At the time, I had
only fairly recently changed jobs,
I'm hoping to find out what that's like soon.
Post by Mark Goodge
and it so happened that I shared an
office with a bunch of people who liked to have the radio on while we
worked.
You mean there are people who don't? Monsters!
Post by Mark Goodge
We had a vote on which station to listen to. Radio 1 won. I was
outvoted, but wasn't too bothered by it (I was more concerned that we'd end
up with Touch FM).
I can only guess from the context what that must have been like.
Post by Mark Goodge
So, for the first time in a while, I was actually
familiar with a lot of chart stuff.
Having said that, much of it blurs into one.
It is an era where there were the same producers were making similar
records with everybody.
Post by Mark Goodge
There's a lot of typical
late-noughties stuff here that, while I recognise on listening, isn't
otherwise particularly memorable.
I've seen two of the acts in this chart play live, or one and a half if you
consider that the absence of a named backing group makes a difference.
I think it does, since the entire point of that single was an excuse for
a Cliff & The Shadows reunion tour.
Post by Mark Goodge
And
I wasn't really paying attention to the other one at the time as he was
just a warm-up act and I was more concerned about getting some chips.
A man who is less interesting than chips? Quite a few possibilities in
this chart TBH.
Post by Mark Goodge
On an
entirely separate note, I've met the dad of the lead singer of one of the
acts in this chart.
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
I quite liked this.
I can imagine why people did, but it's pretty generic.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
Good song.
Not a lot to it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
Oddly enough, this was on the Absolute Radio iPod not so long ago. Good
song.
I don't find that odd at all.
Post by Mark Goodge
A bit atypical for the time.
In the sense that it was a big rock hit?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
I liked this at the time.
Hey everyone, we've found him!
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
She was never quite as successful as the hype. But this is, nonetheless, a
very good song.
But it is very much a by-numbers RedOne production, which is probably
why she never had much luck following it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Not that I claim to be an expert, but if your sex really is on fire then I
suspect you may be doing it wrong.
Maybe they mean on a gas fire?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Uprising
Very good song.
It is ridiculous like most of their songs. Sometimes I'm in the mood for
that.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
42. (55) Dizzee Rascal / Armand Van Helden Bonkers
I was once videoed drunkenly dancing to this as part of the recording of a
TV programme I appeared on a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the footage
never made it to the broadcast.
Is that fortunate? It's an acceptable sort of bad-dancing song.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
I quite like this.
I don't mind it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Because it had swearing in the chorus?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
74. (87) Journey Don't Stop Believin'
Goof song, although of course not native to this chart.
Many a true word in misprint!
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
For a Taylor Swift song, I quite like this.
I didn't.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
87. (95) Elbow One Day Like This
Great song.
Album version takes a long time to get going.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
90. (RE) Coldplay Viva La Vida
Good song, although I associate it more with its previous chart run and
hence with the things going on in my life at that time. Oddly enough, it
always reminds me of junction 4 on the M54.
I presume it hadn't been far out of the chart.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
99. (81) Chicane Poppiholla
This song lasted exactly as long as it took me to drive to the nearest
supermarket.
...And buy some better music?

Chris
Mark Goodge
2016-10-20 09:08:06 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
(I know I'm a week behind. I don't care. I might catch up later).
We had a vote on which station to listen to. Radio 1 won. I was
outvoted, but wasn't too bothered by it (I was more concerned that we'd end
up with Touch FM).
I can only guess from the context what that must have been like.
"White van man pop" is how I've heard it described in the past. As it
happened, the company I'd just got a job with was (and still is!) an online
retailer, so as well as the office there was also a massive warehouse. The
office staff generally listened to Radio 1, while the warehouse staff
invariably did their work to the background of Touch FM. Which also
probably tells you much of what you need to know.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
So, for the first time in a while, I was actually
familiar with a lot of chart stuff.
Having said that, much of it blurs into one.
It is an era where there were the same producers were making similar
records with everybody.
Yes, very much so.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
I've seen two of the acts in this chart play live, or one and a half if you
consider that the absence of a named backing group makes a difference.
I think it does, since the entire point of that single was an excuse for
a Cliff & The Shadows reunion tour.
Fair enough.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
And
I wasn't really paying attention to the other one at the time as he was
just a warm-up act and I was more concerned about getting some chips.
A man who is less interesting than chips? Quite a few possibilities in
this chart TBH.
Hehe. It was Calvin Harris, who was playing a pre-match gig at Wembley
Stadium prior to kick-off in one of the NFL International Series games.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
On an
entirely separate note, I've met the dad of the lead singer of one of the
acts in this chart.
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Good deduction, but totally wrong :-)
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.
It's back again:

Rather amusingly, the parody itself inspired a response from Goldie Lookin'
Chain:

Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Because it had swearing in the chorus?
Because it was a folk song with swearing. As well as the relative novelty
of folk charting anyway, the fact that a word had to be erased for radio
airplay made it all the more notable. You expect rap and hip-hop to need
that, but not folk.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Chris Brown
2016-10-20 10:03:21 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
(I know I'm a week behind. I don't care. I might catch up later).
We had a vote on which station to listen to. Radio 1 won. I was
outvoted, but wasn't too bothered by it (I was more concerned that we'd end
up with Touch FM).
I can only guess from the context what that must have been like.
"White van man pop" is how I've heard it described in the past. As it
happened, the company I'd just got a job with was (and still is!) an online
retailer, so as well as the office there was also a massive warehouse. The
office staff generally listened to Radio 1, while the warehouse staff
invariably did their work to the background of Touch FM. Which also
probably tells you much of what you need to know.
Well, it might explain why R1 isn't as popular as it used to be.
Mind you, what are commercial radio stations going to do when vans are
self-driving?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
And
I wasn't really paying attention to the other one at the time as he was
just a warm-up act and I was more concerned about getting some chips.
A man who is less interesting than chips? Quite a few possibilities in
this chart TBH.
Hehe. It was Calvin Harris, who was playing a pre-match gig at Wembley
Stadium prior to kick-off in one of the NFL International Series games.
That's more likely than him being a support to another musical performance.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
On an
entirely separate note, I've met the dad of the lead singer of one of the
acts in this chart.
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Good deduction, but totally wrong :-)
I don't think it'd be Journey either.
Mumford senior?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.
http://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM
I'll have to look later.
Post by Mark Goodge
Rather amusingly, the parody itself inspired a response from Goldie Lookin'
http://youtu.be/Dx8CZyFM4b4
Yeah, I remember there was a point when that was on there but the
"original" parody wasn't.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Because it had swearing in the chorus?
Because it was a folk song with swearing. As well as the relative novelty
of folk charting anyway, the fact that a word had to be erased for radio
airplay made it all the more notable. You expect rap and hip-hop to need
that, but not folk.
I wonder whether that was part of the reason why they just blanked that
word instead of replacing it with a milder word.
I'm not sure they were that convincing as a folk act, though. They
always sounded a bit like they were playing their instruments at gunpoint.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2016-10-20 11:31:43 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
"White van man pop" is how I've heard it described in the past. As it
happened, the company I'd just got a job with was (and still is!) an online
retailer, so as well as the office there was also a massive warehouse. The
office staff generally listened to Radio 1, while the warehouse staff
invariably did their work to the background of Touch FM. Which also
probably tells you much of what you need to know.
Well, it might explain why R1 isn't as popular as it used to be.
Mind you, what are commercial radio stations going to do when vans are
self-driving?
Playing to the warehouse staff who load the self-driving vans :-)

The other place I heard Touch FM recently was when walking through one of
our local parks. A group of council workers were there, replenishing the
plants in some of the flowerbeds. To give themselves some entertainment on
the job, they'd driven one of the vans as close to where they were working
as they could get it (the others were over on the edge of the park), and
left the doors open with the radio on loudly inside. Playing Touch FM.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Good deduction, but totally wrong :-)
I don't think it'd be Journey either.
Mumford senior?
Correct.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Because it had swearing in the chorus?
Because it was a folk song with swearing. As well as the relative novelty
of folk charting anyway, the fact that a word had to be erased for radio
airplay made it all the more notable. You expect rap and hip-hop to need
that, but not folk.
I wonder whether that was part of the reason why they just blanked that
word instead of replacing it with a milder word.
Yeah, it's not like there aren't any other words which would have slotted
in there.
Post by Chris Brown
I'm not sure they were that convincing as a folk act, though. They
always sounded a bit like they were playing their instruments at gunpoint.
Apparently, the frantic sound was deliberate, a suggestion from their
producer who felt it would make the songs more radio friendly compared to
more laid-back, mellow folk. You can't say it didn't work.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Chris Brown
2016-10-20 21:24:36 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
"White van man pop" is how I've heard it described in the past. As it
happened, the company I'd just got a job with was (and still is!) an online
retailer, so as well as the office there was also a massive warehouse. The
office staff generally listened to Radio 1, while the warehouse staff
invariably did their work to the background of Touch FM. Which also
probably tells you much of what you need to know.
Well, it might explain why R1 isn't as popular as it used to be.
Mind you, what are commercial radio stations going to do when vans are
self-driving?
Playing to the warehouse staff who load the self-driving vans :-)
Until they get replaced by robots.

Maybe one day they'll develop a robot to listen to the adverts as well.
Post by Mark Goodge
The other place I heard Touch FM recently was when walking through one of
our local parks. A group of council workers were there, replenishing the
plants in some of the flowerbeds. To give themselves some entertainment on
the job, they'd driven one of the vans as close to where they were working
as they could get it (the others were over on the edge of the park), and
left the doors open with the radio on loudly inside. Playing Touch FM.
I suppose not as many people have portable radios these days.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Good deduction, but totally wrong :-)
I don't think it'd be Journey either.
Mumford senior?
Correct.
I thought it might have been somebody you met on the folk scene.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
Great song. At the time, this sounded really left field.
Because it had swearing in the chorus?
Because it was a folk song with swearing. As well as the relative novelty
of folk charting anyway, the fact that a word had to be erased for radio
airplay made it all the more notable. You expect rap and hip-hop to need
that, but not folk.
I wonder whether that was part of the reason why they just blanked that
word instead of replacing it with a milder word.
Yeah, it's not like there aren't any other words which would have slotted
in there.
I presume when they did performances on television they must have sung
an alternative lyric.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
I'm not sure they were that convincing as a folk act, though. They
always sounded a bit like they were playing their instruments at gunpoint.
Apparently, the frantic sound was deliberate, a suggestion from their
producer who felt it would make the songs more radio friendly compared to
more laid-back, mellow folk. You can't say it didn't work.
It's not so much the tempo as the force of the plucking that stands out,
if you'll pardon the phrase.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2016-10-21 09:52:58 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Well, it might explain why R1 isn't as popular as it used to be.
Mind you, what are commercial radio stations going to do when vans are
self-driving?
Playing to the warehouse staff who load the self-driving vans :-)
Until they get replaced by robots.
I'm sure the warehouse staff will find alternative employment. Even if they
have to go back to Poland to find it.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
The other place I heard Touch FM recently was when walking through one of
our local parks. A group of council workers were there, replenishing the
plants in some of the flowerbeds. To give themselves some entertainment on
the job, they'd driven one of the vans as close to where they were working
as they could get it (the others were over on the edge of the park), and
left the doors open with the radio on loudly inside. Playing Touch FM.
I suppose not as many people have portable radios these days.
Yes, the ghetto blaster does seem to have gone very much out of fashion. A
big part of that, of course, is the use of phones (and, before that, mp3
players and before that, Walkmans[1]) for individuals to listen to music on
the go. So a separate portable device is really only of any use where you
have a group of people listening.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Not that many acts with lead singers in this chart, and would you even
know if you met the bloke from the Temper Trap's dad? I'd also rule out
Muse because you'd therefore have met one the Tornados which would have
cropped up before. I'm going to guess Kasabian.
Good deduction, but totally wrong :-)
I don't think it'd be Journey either.
Mumford senior?
Correct.
I thought it might have been somebody you met on the folk scene.
Oddly enough, it was actually a work-related connection. Not mine,
directly, but a then business associate from the US was visiting the UK
and, to make the most of his relatively short time in this country, I spent
a day with him as his driver taking him to a few people he needed to see as
as being able to discuss our own joint projects. John Mumford (Marcus
Mumford's father) was one of them.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Chris Brown
2016-10-21 13:24:05 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Well, it might explain why R1 isn't as popular as it used to be.
Mind you, what are commercial radio stations going to do when vans are
self-driving?
Playing to the warehouse staff who load the self-driving vans :-)
Until they get replaced by robots.
I'm sure the warehouse staff will find alternative employment. Even if they
have to go back to Poland to find it.
And then they can hear irritating adverts for vans in Polish.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
The other place I heard Touch FM recently was when walking through one of
our local parks. A group of council workers were there, replenishing the
plants in some of the flowerbeds. To give themselves some entertainment on
the job, they'd driven one of the vans as close to where they were working
as they could get it (the others were over on the edge of the park), and
left the doors open with the radio on loudly inside. Playing Touch FM.
I suppose not as many people have portable radios these days.
Yes, the ghetto blaster does seem to have gone very much out of fashion. A
big part of that, of course, is the use of phones (and, before that, mp3
players and before that, Walkmans[1]) for individuals to listen to music on
the go.
Even around the house I don't think people use them that much.
Post by Mark Goodge
So a separate portable device is really only of any use where you
have a group of people listening.
My wife saw some rules for a church that said "transistor radios"
couldn't be used there. It seemed a very dated stipulation.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
I don't think it'd be Journey either.
Mumford senior?
Correct.
I thought it might have been somebody you met on the folk scene.
Oddly enough, it was actually a work-related connection. Not mine,
directly, but a then business associate from the US was visiting the UK
and, to make the most of his relatively short time in this country, I spent
a day with him as his driver taking him to a few people he needed to see as
as being able to discuss our own joint projects. John Mumford (Marcus
Mumford's father) was one of them.
Now I did know that Marcus Mumford was born in the US, so it's not
surprising that one of his parents has business connections over there.

Chris
Rink
2021-01-26 15:39:33 UTC
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 00:28, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
3. (15) Jay-Z - Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.
http://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM
Fantastic!
I'm pleased with the subtitles.

Respect:
2:51 to 2:57....
Rather amusingly, the parody itself inspired
http://youtu.be/Dx8CZyFM4b4
"We don't even have a pizza hut"....

"You've probably never been there either".

Correct,
I've been in Cardiff and the north of Wales,
Conwy (great castle) and of course Llanfair.......
But not in Newport.

But I do not understand everything in this song,
because my English is not good enough
What is a "fiver"?

Thanks for sharing!

Rink
Chris Brown
2021-01-26 22:00:53 UTC
Post by Rink
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Mark Goodge
Rather amusingly, the parody itself inspired a response from Goldie
http://youtu.be/Dx8CZyFM4b4
"We don't even have a pizza hut"....
"You've probably never been there either".
Correct,
I've been in Cardiff and the north of Wales,
Conwy (great castle) and of course Llanfair.......
But not in Newport.
I've only been to Wales once.
Post by Rink
But I do not understand everything in this song,
because my English is not good enough
What is a "fiver"?
A fiver = £5 or more often the Five Pound banknote. Similarly a tenner
is £10.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2021-01-27 17:13:41 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
3. (15) Jay-Z - Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
I prefer the Newport State of Mind parody.
I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.
http://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM
Fantastic!
I'm pleased with the subtitles.
2:51 to 2:57....
It now seems to have as many parody versions on YouTube as Downfall.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=state+of+mind+parody

Mark

Chris Brown
2016-10-20 17:48:31 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
By my count there are only two singles here that peaked at 11.
That count was wrong, BTW.
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
1. (1) Taio Cruz Break Your Heart
If you were hoping for him to have a long career, he would indeed have
broken your heart.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) David Guetta Sexy Chick ft Akon
Not the same title as the album version.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
In which Jay-Z claims to be "the new Sinatra", but presumably with fewer
connections to the Mafia.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) Shakira She Wolf
Or 'Loba' in the original Spanish. Quite handy that it scans the same
way in both languages.
Surprisingly, this was co-written by one of the Bravery.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Jay-Z Run This Town ft Rihanna & Kanye West
I presume this and the other Jay-Z tracks in the chart are exclusive to
Tidal, because they weren't on Spotify or on proper YouTube accounts.
I can listen to this on Now 74 whenever I like, of course.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (7) The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
Apparently Will.I.Am is one of the few people to have noticed U2's hit
'Ill Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' because he based part of this
song on it.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
"A good beat never hurt no-one". [punchline redacted for legal reasons]
This is a decent if unimportant single.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) Madonna Celebration
Title track of the best-of album I recently bought for 50p.
Possible the title refers to the fact that she was parting from her
record company.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (8) Dizzee Rascal Holiday
His third consecutive Number One single during his unstoppable pop star
phase.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (9) Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo
Down by the river, donthchaknow?
Post by Chris Brown
11. (NE) Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash
He was so big this went T20 just from cherry-picks the week the album
came out. It eventually peaked at 10.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (16) Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
Australian band who were based in the UK at the time. Apparently the
singer moved to Berlin because he can't afford to live in London any more.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (11) Mika We Are Golden
A big comeback hit but it seems to have trashed his UK career.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
She's still around, you know.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (10) Sugababes Get Sexy
The last single by this version of the band. I remember the week this
came out they were on the chart show premiering the next single, which
ended up having to be re-recorded by the next line-up.
This was co-written by Bruno Mars (and Right Said Fred, obviously).
Post by Chris Brown
16. (18) Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
Speaking of sex...
Post by Chris Brown
17. (NE) Basshunter Every Morning
Was this supposed to be rock? It doesn't really work.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (12) Muse Uprising
Their last big hit, if only because of the way the charts had changed by
the time they released their next album.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
The smallest hit from her first album that was actually released as a
single. Not a very good song either.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (NE) Example Watch The Sun Come Up
After being dropped by at least one record company he finally broke
through with this was a properly big star for a while.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (29) Pitbull Hotel Room Service
There is a lot of Pitbull in this chart. Maybe I should have issued a
warning.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Beyonce Sweet Dreams
There are quite a few Beyonce tracks that are OK, but not great, in this
chart.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (20) Sean Kingston Fire Burning
Remember when he almost died?
Post by Chris Brown
24. (19) Tinchy Stryder Never Leave You ft Amelle
25. (47) Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
It must have been almost a year since this peaked. I'm not sure why they
had two singles climbing the chart this week.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (24) Ian Carey Project Get Shaky
Not a song about attacking Michael Barrett.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
One of their better songs. Did they split up or something?
Post by Chris Brown
28. (22) Esmee Denters Outta Here
A contestant on The Voice last year. She didn't win.
This song was co-written by the unlikely combination of Justin
Timberlake and the singer from A.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (23) Mr Hudson Supernova ft Kanye West
The former frontman of Mr Hudson & The Library who managed to reinvent
himself at least briefly as a US-based urban star. Apparently he later
formed a duo with Bill Oddie's daughter.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
I don't really remember this song, although I remember thinking it was
boring.
Post by Chris Brown
31. (21) Paloma Faith New York
There is a version of this that features Ghostface Killah, but they
seemingly decided against making that the A-side.
Post by Chris Brown
32. (35) Jay-Z Young Forever ft Mr Hudson
Mr Hudson again on this version of the Alpahville flop.
Post by Chris Brown
33. (26) JLS Beat Again
Not sure whether this seems newer or older than seven years ago. It was
of course their first hit.
Post by Chris Brown
34. (31) Lady Gaga Paparazzi
I suppose this was her first slow single.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (NE) Jade Ewen My Man
Second hit from the Eurovision flop who was about to become the last
person to join the Sugababes. I remember her having this hit but I
didn't really remember the song.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (33) La Roux Bulletproof
Her/their best song IMO.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (27) Calvin Harris Ready For The Weekend
And this is, unusually, my favourite Calvin Harris song.
Post by Chris Brown
38. (37) Pitbull I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
Sorry, I think you've been misinformed.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (NE) Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)
The trouble with this is that all the best bits are from 'Let The Music
Play'.
Post by Chris Brown
40. (39) Cascada Evacuate The Dancefloor
Add your own insult here. Actually I think the song is OK.
Features uncredited rapper Carlprit.
Post by Chris Brown
41. (38) Jeremih Birthday Sex
This song became slightly topical yesterday when Theresa May alluded to
the subject on Prime Minister's Questions yesterday.
Post by Chris Brown
42. (55) Dizzee Rascal / Armand Van Helden Bonkers
I wonder how many people remember that Armand VH had two (credited)
Number One singles.
Post by Chris Brown
43. (74) Naturi Naughton Fame
I had completely forgotten about this remake of the film and the
re-recorded song.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
Another song involving David Guetta that sounds like something else.
Post by Chris Brown
45. (43) Keri Hilson Energy
I'd completely forgotten this but it did sound a bit familiar when I
listened to it.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (36) Just Jack The Day I Died
Odd career trajectory he had: one big hit, then the follow-ups missed
the Top 30, Top 40 and Top 75 respectively. But then he went on to have
two comeback Top 20 hits. This peaked at 11 but was his last hit.
Post by Chris Brown
47. (44) The Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow
My favourite BEPs song in this chart.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (46) Jason Mraz I'm Yours
This of course peaked at 11.
Post by Chris Brown
49. (28) Wale Chillin ft Lady Gaga
His name's Wale, as he reminds us several times during the song.
I think this had been recorded before Gaga became a big star.
Post by Chris Brown
50. (50) Daniel Merriweather Red
Actually there seems to be theme going on in this chart. Lots of people
who seemed to vanish after a run of hits.
Post by Chris Brown
51. (32) Nneka Heartbeat
Another track I'd forgotten all about, although I quite liked it at the
time.
Post by Chris Brown
52. (51) Lady Gaga Poker Face
Needless to say I haven't forgotten this one.
Post by Chris Brown
53. (45) Pixie Lott Mama Do
I even remember the full title was 'Mama Do (Uh Oh)'. Which sounds silly.
Post by Chris Brown
54. (RE) Alicia Keys If I Ain't Got You
This must have been covered on XF or something to re-enter so high.
Post by Chris Brown
55. (91) La Roux I'm Not Your Toy
On its way to becoming their third and last Top 40 hit.
Post by Chris Brown
56. (NE) Beyonce Broken-Hearted Girl
I remember thinking this was quite boring.
Post by Chris Brown
57. (RE) Seal Kiss From A Rose
Presumably this was also on XF. Although it is better than the Alicia
Keys track.
Post by Chris Brown
58. (63) deadmau5 Ghosts 'n' Stuff
Features Rob Swire, the shouty bloke from Pendulum.
Post by Chris Brown
59. (41) Lily Allen 22
Not as good as the Taylor Swift song of the same title.
Post by Chris Brown
60. (53) Florence + The Machine Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
I think this was actually her first Top 40.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (72) Mumford & Sons Little Lion Man
The point where they went from cult act to proper hitmakers.
Post by Chris Brown
62. (49) Hockey Song Away
Big airplay hit at the time. Radio 2 still play it.
Post by Chris Brown
63. (57) La Roux In For The Kill
All three hits charting at the same time.
Post by Chris Brown
64. (54) Florence + The Machine Drumming Song
This was the unsuccessful follow-up to 'Rabbit Heart'. Pity, I liked
this one.
Post by Chris Brown
65. (34) Booty Luv Say It
About 14 minutes into their 15.
Post by Chris Brown
67. (68) Kid Cudi Make Her Say ft Kanye & Common
Samples 'Poker Face'.
Post by Chris Brown
68. (60) Noisettes Never Forget You
The lead singer recently had her stalker sent to prison. Which makes
this title slightly ironic.
Post by Chris Brown
70. (66) Keri Hilson Knock You Down
Maybe this was the Keri Hilson song I remembered.
Post by Chris Brown
71. (NE) Newton Faulkner If This Is It
Not a cover of the Huey Lewis & The News song.
Post by Chris Brown
72. (64) Kasabian Fire
Mumbly as usual.
Post by Chris Brown
73. (52) Livvi Franc Now I'm That Chick ft Pitbull
Like the Akon track, originally known by a different title.
Post by Chris Brown
74. (87) Journey Don't Stop Believin'
I haven't stopped believing this is rubbish.
Post by Chris Brown
75. (89) Lady Gaga Just Dance
Her slightly overlooked first Number One.
Post by Chris Brown
76. (48) Jamie T Chaka Demus EP
[Chaka Demus; Forget Me Not (The Love I Knew Before I Grew); Planning
Spontaneity; When They Are Gone (for Tim)]
I'd never heard the other EP tracks before. Turns out 'Forget Me Not' is
a ballad with a female vocal, which wasn't what I expected.
Post by Chris Brown
77. (71) Jordin Sparks Battlefield
Probably her best track. Pretty sure this peaked at 11 too.
Post by Chris Brown
78. (40) Cliff Richard And The Shadows Singing The Blues
Scraping in as their last Top 40 hit. In fact I'm pretty sure it's
Cliff's last Top 40 to date, not counting Christmas re-entries.
Post by Chris Brown
79. (59) 4 Strings Take Me Away Into The Night
Long way down this chart before we get to the trance record.
Post by Chris Brown
80. (73) Veronicas Untouched
Bit too shrieky.
Post by Chris Brown
81. (90) Beyonce Halo
If you like the word "Halo", you'll love this song.
Post by Chris Brown
82. (RE) Taylor Swift Love Story
I think there's another song of the title that I like better.
Post by Chris Brown
83. (58) Biffy Clyro That Golden Rule
I like the odd structure of this, especially when the strings come in at
the end.
Post by Chris Brown
84. (78) Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror
Famously kept off the top by Cascada.
Post by Chris Brown
85. (67) Agnes Release Me
Not an Engelbert cover.
Post by Chris Brown
86. (RE) Empire Of The Sun We Are The People
Never really understood the appeal of this act.
Post by Chris Brown
87. (95) Elbow One Day Like This
Still a couple of years from the Top 10.
Post by Chris Brown
88. (86) 3OH!3 Don't Trust Me
This has that very harsh sound of a lot of records around this time.
Post by Chris Brown
89. (RE) Dizzee Rascal Dance Wiv Me
This is my other favourite Calvin Harris song.
Post by Chris Brown
90. (RE) Coldplay Viva La Vida
I've sometimes wondered whether this is about anyone real.
Post by Chris Brown
91. (RE) Chris Brown With You
Is this the one where it sounds like he's saying "I wanna see your boobs"?
Post by Chris Brown
94. (93) Pixie Lott Use Somebody
Second version of this song.
Post by Chris Brown
95. (NE) Rammstein Pussy
Presumably Donald Trump's favourite track in the chart.
Post by Chris Brown
96. (76) Chipmunk Diamond Rings ft Emeli Sandé
Seems odd to hear Emeli Sandé swearing.
Post by Chris Brown
97. (75) Sub Focus Rock It / Follow The Light
The A-side is a nice DnB track, the AA side has irritating vocals.
Post by Chris Brown
98. (69) Stevie Wonder Superstition
Another single that peaked at 11, believe it or not.
Post by Chris Brown
99. (81) Chicane Poppiholla
Bland version.
Post by Chris Brown
100. (70) Peter Andre Behind Closed Doors
I think this was his attempt at rock.

Chris
Vidcapper
2016-10-21 06:10:21 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
In which Jay-Z claims to be "the new Sinatra", but presumably with fewer
connections to the Mafia.
Not to *organised* crime, but rap's connection to crime is hard to deny...
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
"A good beat never hurt no-one". [punchline redacted for legal reasons]
What legal reasons?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
She's still around, you know.
Why wouldn't she be - she's only 32.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
The smallest hit from her first album that was actually released as a
single. Not a very good song either.
Still better than anything from her 2nd album!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
One of their better songs. Did they split up or something?
Well, the band is basically Hayley Williams and 'assorted others'
anyway. Apparently a 5th album *is* on the way though.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
I don't really remember this song, although I remember thinking it was
boring.
How do you know, if you don't remember it? :p
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
Another song involving David Guetta that sounds like something else.
Such as?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
60. (53) Florence + The Machine Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
I think this was actually her first Top 40.
I thought it was the OCC's. :)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-10-21 10:19:55 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 3rd October 2009
3. (15) Jay-Z Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys
In which Jay-Z claims to be "the new Sinatra", but presumably with fewer
connections to the Mafia.
Not to *organised* crime, but rap's connection to crime is hard to deny...
Some rappers have been involved in crime. As of course have many
musicians in other genres. And people who do literally every other job
in the world.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Pixie Lott Boys & Girls
"A good beat never hurt no-one". [punchline redacted for legal reasons]
What legal reasons?
I could have been accusing somebody of violence.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
14. (13) Little Boots Remedy
She's still around, you know.
Why wouldn't she be - she's only 32.
I'm not surprised she's still alive. Although of course we can all think
of pop stars who didn't live that long.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) Lady Gaga Lovegame
The smallest hit from her first album that was actually released as a
single. Not a very good song either.
Still better than anything from her 2nd album!
I can't agree there. 'Edge Of Glory' is definitely better than this.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
27. (14) Paramore Ignorance
One of their better songs. Did they split up or something?
Well, the band is basically Hayley Williams and 'assorted others'
anyway.
Presumably she doesn't think so, though, or she would have gone solo by
now.
Post by Vidcapper
Apparently a 5th album *is* on the way though.
I thought it had gone a bit quiet, that's all.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
30. (30) Taylor Swift You Belong With Me
I don't really remember this song, although I remember thinking it was
boring.
How do you know, if you don't remember it? :p
I remember the boredom.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
44. (42) David Guetta When Love Takes Over ft Kelly Rowland
Another song involving David Guetta that sounds like something else.
Such as?
In this case, 'Clocks' by Coldplay.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
60. (53) Florence + The Machine Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
I think this was actually her first Top 40.
I thought it was the OCC's. :)
Wouldn't be *their* first.

Chris
John
2016-10-21 21:49:18 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
35. (NE) Jade Ewen My Man
Second hit from the Eurovision flop who was about to become the last
person to join the Sugababes. I remember her having this hit but I
didn't really remember the song.
Probably because it purposely wasn't promoted. She went into Sugababes
just as this was released.

Hardly a Eurovison flop though. She reached number 5, which was a decent
place, and only one of two Top 10 placings this century (The other was
Jessica Garlick in 2002)
Chris Brown
2016-10-21 23:38:10 UTC
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
35. (NE) Jade Ewen My Man
Second hit from the Eurovision flop who was about to become the last
person to join the Sugababes. I remember her having this hit but I
didn't really remember the song.
Probably because it purposely wasn't promoted. She went into Sugababes
just as this was released.
Just after, although these were still the days when all the promotion
was before the single came out.
However, I did read that she'd almost joined a while earlier; she even
had to carry a packed suitcase around with her. So if Polydor knew about
that they may have surmised that she was bound to go sooner or later so
it wasn't worth putting their fullest efforts into the single.
Post by John
Hardly a Eurovison flop though. She reached number 5, which was a decent
place, and only one of two Top 10 placings this century (The other was
Jessica Garlick in 2002)
Fair point, actually. I was thinking more that she didn't really appear
much to the UK audience, though I might have been a bit excessive there.

Chris