The days of this old chart from 1972 are gone
Chris Brown
2021-03-15 00:23:24 UTC
Back from my birthday week off, so I've just done the year I would otherwise have done last week. I wanted to acknowledge Mary Wilson with a post-Ross Supremes hit, but it also means I'm posting on Mother's Day witha couple of songs about mothers. And there's a song that must have been timed for St Patrick's Day too.

Playlists are/will be here:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5G44JdZSf0nFUebEioUref?si=Q3uF14K-TxuZ0lA4-EUEKg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNotccXqu7QcQMMGwGyMlU38

Chart dated: 18th March 1972

1. (1) Nilsson Without You
2. (2) Don Mclean American Pie
3. (4) The New Seekers Beg, Steal Or Borrow
4. (3) Chicory Tip Son Of My Father
5. (7) Paul Simon Mother And Child Reunion
6. (9) Gilbert O'Sullivan Alone Again (Naturally)
7. (6) Michael Jackson Got To Be There
8. (5) Chelsea Football Team Blue is The Colour
9. (10) Lindisfarne Meet Me On The Corner
10. (15) Neil Reid Mother Of Mine
11. (16) Donnie Elbert I Can't Help Myself
12. (12) The Sweet Poppa Joe
13. (8) Slade Look Wot You Dun
14. (11) The Fortunes Storm In A Teacup
15. (17) Colin Blunstone Say You Don't Mind
16. (13) Badfinger Day After Day
17. (19) Wings Give Ireland Back To The Irish
18. (27) The Supremes Floy Joy
19. (25) The Partridge Family It's One of Those Nights
20. (23) Les Crane Desiderata
21. (30) Argent Hold Your Head Up
22. (21) The New Seekers I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
23. (22) Jonathan King Flirt
24. (14) The Chi-Lites Have You Seen Her
25. (18) T. Rex Telegram Sam
26. (37) Engelbert Humperdinck Too Beautiful To Last
27. (29) The Hollies The Baby
28. (24) Sonny And Cher All I Ever Need Is You
29. (20) The Bee Gees My World
30. (28) Johnny Pearson Orchestra Sleepy Shores
31. (26) Al Green Let's Stay Together
32. (38) CCS Brother
33. (49) Neil Young Heart Of Gold
34. (47) Olivia Newton-John What Is Life
35. (41) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Theme From The Onedin Line
36. (31) Pagliaro Loving You Ain't Easy
37. (32) The John Barry Orchestra The Persuaders
38. (35) Cliff Richard Jesus
39. (34) Holly Sherwood Day by Day
40. (36) America Horse With No Name

41. (46) The Four Tops Bernadette {1972 reissue}
42. (43) Cat Stevens Morning Has Broken
43. (33) Melanie Brand New Key
44. (40) Greyhound Moon River
45. (42) Elvis Presley I Just Can't Help Believing
46. (NE) Buffy Sainte-Marie I'm Gonna Be A Country Girl Again
47. (NE) Blue Haze Smoke Get In Your Eyes
48. (39) Bread Baby I'm-A Want You
49. (50) The Faces Stay With Me
50. (NE) The Chiffons Sweet Talking Guy
Vidcapper
2021-03-15 06:55:05 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 18th March 1972
2. (2) Don Mclean American Pie
Just this one I know.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Robbie
2021-03-17 14:52:37 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Back from my birthday week off, so I've just done the year I would otherwise have done last week. I wanted to acknowledge Mary Wilson with a post-Ross Supremes hit, but it also means I'm posting on Mother's Day witha couple of songs about mothers. And there's a song that must have been timed for St Patrick's Day too.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5G44JdZSf0nFUebEioUref?si=Q3uF14K-TxuZ0lA4-EUEKg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNotccXqu7QcQMMGwGyMlU38
Chart dated: 18th March 1972
49 years ago. I still largely know the songs from them being played as
oldies.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Nilsson Without You
I don't think this one has ever stopped being played. Although not the
original version, Nilsson recorded what is regarded as the defining version.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Don Mclean American Pie
Another classic song and one that deserved to be a number 1 nut which
peaked at number 2.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (4) The New Seekers Beg, Steal Or Borrow
I quite like this one.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (3) Chicory Tip Son Of My Father
Is this the first ever "electro" number 1?
Post by Chris Brown
5. (7) Paul Simon Mother And Child Reunion
Another song that never seems to have gone away.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (9) Gilbert O'Sullivan Alone Again (Naturally)
This song has some of the most depressing lyrics fora top 5 song!
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
His voice was just the wrong side of irritating on this song.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (5) Chelsea Football Team Blue is The Colour
Most northern football fans hated Chelsea. Nothing much has changed in
the almost 50 years since.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (10) Lindisfarne Meet Me On The Corner
Massive in the north east, I became aware of them probably sooner than
most acts in this chart.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (15) Neil Reid Mother Of Mine
Very saccharine but very effective in what it was trying to achieve.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (16) Donnie Elbert I Can't Help Myself
First song where I wouldn't associate song with singer.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (12) The Sweet Poppa Joe
Back when they were having to sing anything Chinn and Chapman passed
their way. It's only from 1973 that they really gained some respectability.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (8) Slade Look Wot You Dun
One of their more forgotten hits.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (11) The Fortunes Storm In A Teacup
Known more by the first line of the song than the actual title this is
one of a small handful I do recall from the time.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (17) Colin Blunstone Say You Don't Mind
Good song. His only other top 20 hit would be as a guest vocalist 9
years later (with Dave Stewart) on 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted'.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (13) Badfinger Day After Day
The original act who wrote and sang the number 1. Decent song, good
band, but they never really outgrew their Beatles connection.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (19) Wings Give Ireland Back To The Irish
Speaking of which... proof that Macca should keep out of politics as
this is awful.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (27) The Supremes Floy Joy
One of their more forgotten (to me) post Diana Ross singles.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) The Partridge Family It's One of Those Nights
I remember The Partridge Family but not this song.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (23) Les Crane Desiderata
The song that was mentioned a lot when 'Everybody's Free (To Wear
Sunscreen)' by Baz Luhrmann was number 1 in 1999. Maybe the song's
structure provided some inspiration. Plus both are quite rubbish!

BREAKERS CHART

b01 (NEW) BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone

... and that was it for the Breakers Chart this week, just the one title.