Maybe someday when my ship comes in, she'll understand this old 1983 chart
Chris Brown
2016-11-06 13:07:44 UTC
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a lot
because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the Top 100
debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of which must
must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this feature. And
two David Bowie tracks.

https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3

Chart date: 12th November 1983

1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
20. (34) Limahl Only For Love
21. (NE) The Rolling Stones Undercover Of The Night
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
26. (32) Musical Youth 007
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
28. (16) Lydia Murdock Superstar
29. (40) Olympic Orchestra Reilly
30. (42) Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart {1983 repromotion}
31. (33) Kiss Lick It Up
32. (47) Marilyn Calling Your Name
33. (23) Shalamar Over And Over
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
38. (37) AC/DC Guns For Hire
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
40. (36) King Kurt Destination Zululand
41. (44) Galaxy Fantasy Real
42. (78) Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart
43. (28) David Bowie Modern Love
44. (39) Sharon Redd Love How You Feel
45. (56) Eddy Grant Till I Can't Take No More
46. (65) David Bowie White Light/White Heat
47. (43) Rainbow Can't Let You Go
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
49. (50) Foster & Allen I Will Love You All My Life
50. (31) Meat Loaf Midnight At The Lost And Found
51. (27) Nick Heyward Blue Hat For A Blue Day
52. (41) Level 42 Micro Kid
53. (NE) Tom Robinson And Crew Listen To The Radio - Atmospherics
54. (55) Bauhaus The Singles '81-'83
[The Passion Of Lovers; Kick In The Eye; Spirit; Ziggy Stardust;
Lagartija Nick; She's In Parties]
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
56. (66) Imagination New Dimension
57. (46) Dio Rainbow In The Dark
58. (86) Care Flaming Sword
59. (38) David Grant Love Will Find A Way
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
61. (63) Major Harris All My Life
62. (35) Depeche Mode Love In Itself-2
63. (49) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My Love
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
65. (60) Curtis Hairston I Want You (All Tonight)
66. (57) China Crisis Working With Fire And Steel
67. (NE) Kim Wilde Dancing In The Dark
68. (75) Brian May And Friends Star Fleet
69. (58) Bruce Foxton This Is The Way
70. (NE) Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Islands In The Stream
71. (76) Caramba Fedora (I'll Be Your Dawg)
72. (80) JoBoxers Jealous Love
73. (98) Olivia Newton-John Twist Of Fate
74. (85) Daryl Hall And John Oates Say It Isn't So
75. (77) This Mortal Coil Song To The Siren
76. (64) Steve Harvey Tonight
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
78. (NE) Kid Creole And The Coconuts The Lifeboat Party
79. (NE) Toyah The Vow
80. (NE) Dolby's Cube Get Out Of My Mix
81. (84) Street Angels Dressing Up
82. (NE) Nik Kershaw I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
83. (NE) Specimen The Beauty Of Poison
84. (NE) Electric Light Orchestra Four Little Diamonds
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
86. (83) Air Supply Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
87. (87) Rose Marie When I Leave The World Behind
88. (NE) Carmel Willow Weep For Me
89. (NE) Yello Lost Again
90. (NE) Bob Dylan Union Sundown
91. (96) Jimmy Cliff Reggae Night
92. (NE) SPK Metal Dance
93. (93) Friends Again State Of Art
94. (79) The Kinks Don't Forget To Dance
95. (NE) The Four Tops I Just Can't Walk Away
96. (NE) The Stray Cats Rebels Rule
97. (NE) Haines Gang So Hot
98. (NE) Ian Dury Really Glad You Came
99. (RE) Ann Breen Pal Of My Cradle Days
100. (NE) Delegation It's Your Turn

Chris
Vidcapper
2016-11-06 17:06:13 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
OK
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
Not good!
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
Never liked this.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Novelty
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Liked it then, can't stand it now!
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Good.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
Both Ok
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
Ok
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
Strange
Post by Chris Brown
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
Don't remember this,
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Ubiquitous
Post by Chris Brown
30. (42) Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart {1983 repromotion}
Good
Post by Chris Brown
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
The only song of hers I bought.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
It's also not a good song.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
Tolerable
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
If only they#d released this a couple of years earlier... ;)
Post by Chris Brown
70. (NE) Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Islands In The Stream
Too sugary for me.
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
As per #25
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-11-11 22:25:19 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Is it really though? I did notice that the best-of album everyone in the
country seems to have is called Piano Man.
I would suggest that 'Just The Way You Are' is probably more famous as a
song, though of course some people will know it from the Barry White
version.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
OK
I actually do like this one.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
Not good!
Why not?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
Never liked this.
I never even noticed it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Novelty
But would we think so if it wasn't for the video?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Liked it then, can't stand it now!
Is there any obvious reason?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Good.
Not actually their biggest hit but maybe their biggest crossover?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
Ok
Bit shouty.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
Strange
Possibly even stranger when you think about the people involved.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
Don't remember this,
You should have been listening to Radio 2 about five years ago.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Ubiquitous
I've never actually kept notes, but I think the track that's cropped up
most often in my old charts is either this or 'Relax'.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
OK
I think this is when they went too showbiz.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
30. (42) Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart {1983 repromotion}
Good
Same as the 1980 version.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
The only song of hers I bought.
And she didn't even write it.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
It's also not a good song.
No, I never really got why this was their biggest hit.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Have you ever heard any of the other versions?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
42. (78) Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart
OK
More interesting than it should be.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
43. (28) David Bowie Modern Love
OK
I'm sure I like Bowie more than you do, but I think this is better than
OK. Obviously not one of his masterpieces but a very good pop record and
one of the first Bowie songs I can remember liking.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
Tolerable
But it's one of the most-played Smiths songs. Wouldn't that make it less
tolerable if you don't like them?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
If only they#d released this a couple of years earlier... ;)
... It would have been 1981?

Chris
As per #25
John
2016-11-11 23:43:56 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
Tolerable
But it's one of the most-played Smiths songs. Wouldn't that make it less
tolerable if you don't like them?
Can't say I've heard it before, although small parts of it ring a bell.
However on first hearing Dry your eyes it was instantly unforgettable,
and I associate The Smiths with that song.
Vidcapper
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
John
Because I don't know the difference between the Smiths and The Streets!!
Vidcapper
2016-11-12 07:20:04 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Is it really though? I did notice that the best-of album everyone in the
country seems to have is called Piano Man.
I would suggest that 'Just The Way You Are' is probably more famous as a
song, though of course some people will know it from the Barry White
version.
'Uptown Girl' Christie Brinkley has aged far better than this song
though - she still looks good at 62!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
Not good!
Why not?
Because of how it sounds, of course.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Liked it then, can't stand it now!
Is there any obvious reason?
Well, it being played to death is one reason.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
Don't remember this,
You should have been listening to Radio 2 about five years ago.
Was that when they last played it, then?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Ubiquitous
I've never actually kept notes, but I think the track that's cropped up
most often in my old charts is either this or 'Relax'.
Ironically, a number of recent singles have had even longer chart runs,
but we don't think of their longevity in the same way.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Have you ever heard any of the other versions?
I've done my best to avoid hearing *any* versions!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-11-15 12:01:42 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Is it really though? I did notice that the best-of album everyone in the
country seems to have is called Piano Man.
I would suggest that 'Just The Way You Are' is probably more famous as a
song, though of course some people will know it from the Barry White
version.
'Uptown Girl' Christie Brinkley has aged far better than this song
though - she still looks good at 62!
Are you suggesting that Billy Joel hasn't aged well?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Liked it then, can't stand it now!
Is there any obvious reason?
Well, it being played to death is one reason.
Good answer. Does it affect their other songs as well?
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
Don't remember this,
You should have been listening to Radio 2 about five years ago.
Was that when they last played it, then?
It might be actually. But for a while back there they seemed to play it
with a suspicious regularity.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Ubiquitous
I've never actually kept notes, but I think the track that's cropped up
most often in my old charts is either this or 'Relax'.
Ironically, a number of recent singles have had even longer chart runs,
but we don't think of their longevity in the same way.
Partly because it's about longevity relative to the average?
I suppose you could compare this to the likes of 'Mr Brightside' because
it kept appearing in different years.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Have you ever heard any of the other versions?
I've done my best to avoid hearing *any* versions!
But not liking a cover doesn't necessarily mean you won't like the
original (or other covers of the song).

Chris
Vidcapper
2016-11-15 15:11:53 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Is it really though? I did notice that the best-of album everyone in the
country seems to have is called Piano Man.
I would suggest that 'Just The Way You Are' is probably more famous as a
song, though of course some people will know it from the Barry White
version.
'Uptown Girl' Christie Brinkley has aged far better than this song
though - she still looks good at 62!
Are you suggesting that Billy Joel hasn't aged well?
Does it look liked *he's* only aged 10 years since 1982? :p
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Have you ever heard any of the other versions?
I've done my best to avoid hearing *any* versions!
But not liking a cover doesn't necessarily mean you won't like the
original (or other covers of the song).
I don't like actual red wine either.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-11-16 18:21:58 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
By far his best-known song.
Is it really though? I did notice that the best-of album everyone in the
country seems to have is called Piano Man.
I would suggest that 'Just The Way You Are' is probably more famous as a
song, though of course some people will know it from the Barry White
version.
'Uptown Girl' Christie Brinkley has aged far better than this song
though - she still looks good at 62!
Are you suggesting that Billy Joel hasn't aged well?
Does it look liked *he's* only aged 10 years since 1982? :p
To be fair, he didn't look young then. Or in 1983 when the video was
presumably filmed.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Abysmal - I've always loathed this!
Have you ever heard any of the other versions?
I've done my best to avoid hearing *any* versions!
But not liking a cover doesn't necessarily mean you won't like the
original (or other covers of the song).
I don't like actual red wine either.
I don't think the song is very positive about the stuff.

Chris
John
2016-11-07 00:03:04 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Really liked this one, and remember it well.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
Not my favourite LR song, I got the impression he was trying to be more
current but imo it didn't work.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
Not a patch on Ebony and Ivory.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Old Corny Joke Alert. Why was Puss in Boots? To buy some toothpaste of
course!
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Reminds me of when I was out with my girlfriend and some friends
prancing down the street singing this, complete with pretend mike.
Great song
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Originally released in 1979 by Kirsty McColl, which failed to chart due
to a strike at the distributors. Brilliant song, and I like both
versions. I've only just found out that Kirsty did backing vocals on
Tracey's version, and also did the b-a-a b-y bit on both versions.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
Love this, George Benson at his best.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (32) Musical Youth 007
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Left hand side presumably?
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
One of their best imo.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
And there was me thinking it was just the beginning :-)
Post by Chris Brown
70. (NE) Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Islands In The Stream
Me and my wife have sung this at Karaoke - twice! It's ok but she loves
it.
Blimey, an ONJ song I don't know. Not bad on first hearing.
Vidcapper
2016-11-07 06:54:07 UTC
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Originally released in 1979 by Kirsty McColl, which failed to chart due
to a strike at the distributors.
That doesn't make sense to me - if copies couldn't reach the shops, it
should create a pent-up demand that would cause it to sell faster when
the dispute was resolved?
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
26. (32) Musical Youth 007
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Left hand side presumably?
Groan.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Robbie
2016-11-07 11:06:09 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Originally released in 1979 by Kirsty McColl, which failed to chart due
to a strike at the distributors.
That doesn't make sense to me - if copies couldn't reach the shops, it
should create a pent-up demand that would cause it to sell faster when
the dispute was resolved?
The strike was at the Hayes pressing plant in Middlesex, owned by EMI.
When the strike ended there was a backlog of other records with a higher
priority by higher profile acts waiting to be pressed and so Kirsty's
label (Stiff Records, who weren't an EMI label but who did have their
records pressed by EMI) pulled the plug on her single.
Robbie
Vidcapper
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-11-11 14:33:59 UTC
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Really liked this one, and remember it well.
I especially liked the video when I was a kid.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
Not my favourite LR song, I got the impression he was trying to be more
current but imo it didn't work.
Even up to about ten years ago he was trying to be current. See the
2006 chart I posted recently.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
Not a patch on Ebony and Ivory.
More fun though.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Old Corny Joke Alert. Why was Puss in Boots? To buy some toothpaste of
course!
Groan.
Still less groanworthy than the song though.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Reminds me of when I was out with my girlfriend and some friends
prancing down the street singing this, complete with pretend mike.
Great song
I can see it would suit that.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Originally released in 1979 by Kirsty McColl, which failed to chart due
to a strike at the distributors. Brilliant song, and I like both
versions. I've only just found out that Kirsty did backing vocals on
Tracey's version, and also did the b-a-a b-y bit on both versions.
It's one of those things where once you know, it's very obvious.
Presumably Tracey couldn't hit that high note.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
Love this, George Benson at his best.
Another case where I can respect the skill of the ballads but not
actually like them.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Left hand side presumably?
Or the wrong side?
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
One of their best imo.
I think that'll be a minority opinion in this group. If presumably not
elsewhere.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
And there was me thinking it was just the beginning :-)
It is on the first Now album.
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
70. (NE) Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Islands In The Stream
Me and my wife have sung this at Karaoke - twice! It's ok but she loves
it.
Apparently Nicky Wire's parents used to do that. Maybe they still do
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
73. (98) Olivia Newton-John Twist Of Fate
Blimey, an ONJ song I don't know. Not bad on first hearing.
More electronic than I expected.

Chris
John
2016-11-11 23:36:55 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Reminds me of when I was out with my girlfriend and some friends
prancing down the street singing this, complete with pretend mike.
Great song
I can see it would suit that.
It was playing on the jukebox as we left the Horns pub in Watford, so I
set off on an impromptu sing and dance past the library. I must have
looked a right nutter!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Originally released in 1979 by Kirsty McColl, which failed to chart due
to a strike at the distributors. Brilliant song, and I like both
versions. I've only just found out that Kirsty did backing vocals on
Tracey's version, and also did the b-a-a b-y bit on both versions.
It's one of those things where once you know, it's very obvious.
Presumably Tracey couldn't hit that high note.
Absolutely, but slight confession, I always thought that was Tracey
until the other day, and had forgotten it was also on Kirsty's record as
well.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by John
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Left hand side presumably?
Or the wrong side?
Not sure if you missed the joke there. 007 from Musical Youth was the
song above it.
<shamefaced> I had to look up who Nicky Wire is.
Mark Goodge
2016-11-10 22:09:39 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a lot
because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the Top 100
debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of which must
must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this feature. And
two David Bowie tracks.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3
Chart date: 12th November 1983
It's a good example of a second-half-of-the-early-80s chart, with a fair
springling of classics although it does contain its share of tracks to
remind you that not everything in that particular garden was rosy.

I've seen three artists in the chart play live. And this is one of those
charts which allows me to mention that another now lives just down the road
from me.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Good song. Sounds a bit dated now.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
Surprisingly unmemorable. As in, so unmemorable that I really don't
remember it.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
As collaborations between Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson go, this goes
reasonably well.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
It's a bit Shaky by numbers.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Dire.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
Typical overblown 80s video. The song's OK.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Classic track.

Someone has gone to the effort of writing up a web page with Google
Streetview images of all the filming locations:

http://guanolad.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/you-can-dance-if-you-want-to.html

(and yes, the log is still there - at least up to the current version of
Streetview)
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Another classic 80s track.

Despite the video being set on the Mississippi, it was actually filmed on
the Thames.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
Not one of their best.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Their first top ten hit, and probably their second best known song.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
Not as good as their cover versions.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
Sounds kind of quaint, now.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
OK cover of a decent song.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
It's an old song now, of course.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
It doesn't matter how you shuffle the deck, it's still the same three chord
trick. Although this isn't one of the more successful deals.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
Not one of her best.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
Pretty much forgotten, now.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
The first single from that difficult second album. If, that is, by
"difficult" you mean "crap".
Post by Chris Brown
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
Some people would argue that this is so bad, it's good. Those people would
be wrong.
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Classic 80s track.
Post by Chris Brown
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
As is this.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
Good song. Although, in retrospect, it does sound a lot like Yazoo with
Fergal Sharkey on vocals instead of Alison Moyet.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
More influential than successful, this is nonetheless and interesting
composition.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
One of my all-time favourite songs.
Post by Chris Brown
43. (28) David Bowie Modern Love
Good song. Recently on the Absolute Radio iPod.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
OK song, but not one of their best.
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
ANother song that, at least on first release, was more influential than
successful. Now considered a classic of the era, of course.
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
A somewhat out of its time single release for a song that had been an album
track six years earlier.
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
A very early, under the rader entry for what would later become one of the
most controversial singles of the 80s.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Chris Brown
2016-11-11 23:36:16 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a lot
because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the Top 100
debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of which must
must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this feature. And
two David Bowie tracks.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3
Chart date: 12th November 1983
I've seen three artists in the chart play live.
It was only when you said that I realised Cliff Richard wasn't in there.
Post by Mark Goodge
And this is one of those
charts which allows me to mention that another now lives just down the road
from me.
IIRC that was Toyah. Although some people argue for that as the name of
a band.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Good song. Sounds a bit dated now.
I suppose for a song that was an intentional retro pastiche 33 years
agom that's not bad going.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
Surprisingly unmemorable. As in, so unmemorable that I really don't
remember it.
Strange that I very much remember it. And not only because I remember
singing the names of cars because I didn't know the words.
There are plenty of his songs I don't remember though.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
As collaborations between Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson go, this goes
reasonably well.
Certainly better than 'The Girl Is Mine', possibly even better than 'The
Man'.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
It's a bit Shaky by numbers.
Wasn't that the point of Shaky?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Dire.
Amazing how fast he seemed to lose it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
Typical overblown 80s video. The song's OK.
Is that title a euphemism?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Classic track.
Of a certain kind.
Post by Mark Goodge
Someone has gone to the effort of writing up a web page with Google
http://guanolad.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/you-can-dance-if-you-want-to.html
A long comment thread there about the actress in the video.
Post by Mark Goodge
(and yes, the log is still there - at least up to the current version of
Streetview)
I suppose there's no reason to move it now.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Another classic 80s track.
Despite the video being set on the Mississippi, it was actually filmed on
the Thames.
This does not surprise me.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
Not one of their best.
No, although I do like it you can tell it was starting to slip away from
them.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Their first top ten hit, and probably their second best known song.
If so, what did you think was first?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
Not as good as their cover versions.
This is a cover version.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
Sounds kind of quaint, now.
I can't believe it was taken that seriously to start with.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
OK cover of a decent song.
I actually think it's a very good cover.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
It's an old song now, of course.
Don't think too much about that though, it might bend your brain.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
It doesn't matter how you shuffle the deck, it's still the same three chord
trick. Although this isn't one of the more successful deals.
I don't remember anything about it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
Not one of her best.
I don't suppose it is.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
Pretty much forgotten, now.
Deservedly.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
The first single from that difficult second album. If, that is, by
"difficult" you mean "crap".
I suppose people were resistant to their new style.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
Some people would argue that this is so bad, it's good. Those people would
be wrong.
How do you do the actions for "make a crap novelty record"?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
Classic 80s track.
I'm surprised how little I get tired of it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
As is this.
I don't think this has aged well at all.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
Good song. Although, in retrospect, it does sound a lot like Yazoo with
Fergal Sharkey on vocals instead of Alison Moyet.
As it pretty much is.
I don't know whether The Assembly would have established an identity of
their own had they lasted longer.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
More influential than successful, this is nonetheless and interesting
composition.
They had more hits than the Sex Pistols didn't they?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
One of my all-time favourite songs.
And you're welcome to it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
43. (28) David Bowie Modern Love
Good song. Recently on the Absolute Radio iPod.
I presume a lot of his singles were.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
OK song, but not one of their best.
I do like the pop stuff but I don't think this would be in my Genesis
Top 10.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
ANother song that, at least on first release, was more influential than
successful. Now considered a classic of the era, of course.
Remarkable how influential they actually were.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
A somewhat out of its time single release for a song that had been an album
track six years earlier.
It was admittedly promoting a compilation album, but even that seems
poinless.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
A very early, under the rader entry for what would later become one of the
most controversial singles of the 80s.
Presumably before it was controversial.

Chris
Rink
2021-02-20 12:44:17 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:07:44 +0000, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
The blog still is there !

And I found two "new" YouTube video's:

Original single (720p)

12"version:

Rink
Chris Brown
2021-02-21 23:27:29 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
http://youtu.be/0QDKLglEP5Y
http://youtu.be/lwjkbdHV7RQ
I do like that 12" version. It's not a lot longer but it's an
interesting alternative arrangement.

Chris

Robbie
2016-11-22 11:02:56 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a lot
because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the Top 100
debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of which must
must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this feature. And
two David Bowie tracks.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
I owned bot singles, the former on 7", the latter on 12". As you can
guess I loved both at the time. I'm certainly less keen on the Lionel
Richie song these days.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
I still wonder what would have happened to this single had the video not
been released when it was. It could have been something of a relative
flop considering how big both artists were at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
I quite liked this one.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Whereas this was was absolutely dreadful.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
As was this one. At the time the band looked like they were just
becoming a fan-based act, especially when the follow up ('New Moon On
Monday') had such a short chart run.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Decent enough single.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
I bought this on 12". I now can't stand the song.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
Their last top 5 hit when they were in their prime. Although in
retrospect by now they were past their prime.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Owned this on 7". It's a slightly annoying track to me now.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
Very dull.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
It sounded a bit amateurish even back then.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Not a patch on the original. I never cared much for Tracey's vocals.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
Another record I wasn't too keen on.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
Quo by numbers part 25.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
I think this one features Musical Youth on backing vocals. OK track.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
Totally forgettable.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
A bit of a disappointment compared to their 1982 releases.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
Good vocals, bland song.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (34) Limahl Only For Love
Not very good.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (NE) The Rolling Stones Undercover Of The Night
I remember the video being shown on TV, possibly on The Tube and part of
it was censored.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
Features an uncredited Carly Simon.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
Q: Could they possibly get any worse? A: Yes.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Awful record. the follow up single ('Here Comes The Rain Again') was
much, much better.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (40) Olympic Orchestra Reilly
The theme to the TV programme "Reilly, Ace Of Spies".
Post by Chris Brown
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
Great single and a good B side (a live version of 'Walk Out To Winter').
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
As said, this could almost be a Yazoo single. In fact it was probably
written with Alison Moyet's vocals in mind.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (39) Sharon Redd Love How You Feel
Banned by daytime Radio 1 due to the slightly dodgy lyrics.
Post by Chris Brown
53. (NE) Tom Robinson And Crew Listen To The Radio - Atmospherics
His last top 40 hit.
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
Still a great record.
Post by Chris Brown
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
One of those bands that the music press (especially Record Mirror)
seemed to like but who failed to achieve commercial success.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (63) Major Harris All My Life
One of two UK hits he had. His other is the R&B smoochy classic 'Love
Won't Let Me Wait' which charted in 1975 (#37 in the UK, #5 in the US)
but which had something of a revival on the pirate radio stations in the
mid to late 80s.
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Totally unnecessary release of their 1978 album track.
Post by Chris Brown
75. (77) This Mortal Coil Song To The Siren
Wonderful song. Later sampled on a dance hit from 1992 ('Temple Of
dreams' by Messiah).
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
Where it all started.
Post by Chris Brown
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
originally and incorrectly credited to Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.
Flash had to launch a lawsuit to have his name removed from the artist
credits.

As if that wasn't enough the label were also sued by the copyright
owners of the band Liquid Liquid whose track 'Cavern' was illegally
sampled for the bassline and structure of the song on 'White Lines'. The
outcome was that Sugar Hill Records went bankrupt.

Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2016-11-23 00:05:10 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a
lot because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the
Top 100 debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of
which must must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this
feature. And two David Bowie tracks.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
I owned bot singles, the former on 7", the latter on 12". As you can
guess I loved both at the time. I'm certainly less keen on the Lionel
Richie song these days.
I do think the Lionel track has aged better than most of his output. It
has that great combination of being upbeat but also slightly mellow, as
if it's about actually relaxing and having fun.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
I still wonder what would have happened to this single had the video not
been released when it was. It could have been something of a relative
flop considering how big both artists were at the time.
The worst would be if it was a smaller hit than 'The Girl Is Mine'.
Apparently Paul McCartney and EMI planned to release their other duet
'The Man' as a single but it never happened. Perhaps they feared it
would flop without a video.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
I quite liked this one.
Just a little bit?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Whereas this was was absolutely dreadful.
I can sort of see what he was trying to do but it doesn't work.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
As was this one. At the time the band looked like they were just
becoming a fan-based act, especially when the follow up ('New Moon On
Monday') had such a short chart run.
Even though they'd had a Number One earlier that year.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
Decent enough single.
Not one I remembered from the time at all though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
I bought this on 12". I now can't stand the song.
It might have the second-best harmonica in this chart though (behind
'Say Say Say').
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
Their last top 5 hit when they were in their prime. Although in
retrospect by now they were past their prime.
Their last Top 5 single of any kind, in fact.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
Owned this on 7". It's a slightly annoying track to me now.
I think it is genuinely cat-like though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
Very dull.
Written by the misleadingly-named Winston Groovy.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
It sounded a bit amateurish even back then.
A cash-in, I suppose. Notice they don't do the chorus themselves.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Not a patch on the original. I never cared much for Tracey's vocals.
I don't think the original is one Kirsty's better vocal performances though.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
Another record I wasn't too keen on.
At least you can sing 'Solsbury Hill' over it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
Quo by numbers part 25.
What does that make 'Anniversary Waltz Part 25'?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
I think this one features Musical Youth on backing vocals.
Yes it does.
Post by Robbie
OK track.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
Totally forgettable.
Which they rarely were. It's more like a solo Sting track.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
A bit of a disappointment compared to their 1982 releases.
They obviously didn't know how to follow the Lexicon Of Love stuff.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
Good vocals, bland song.
Fair assessment of this and many other George Benson songs.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (34) Limahl Only For Love
Not very good.
No, it sounds very cheap.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
21. (NE) The Rolling Stones Undercover Of The Night
I remember the video being shown on TV, possibly on The Tube and part of
it was censored.
I do remember my dad having it on video, so he'd obviously taped some
late-night showing because it was quite violent. There's also a scene
where Keith Richards is wearing a skull mask, which isn't much of a
disguise really.
There was also an alternate video that was just performance. I presume
that was for possible TotP showings.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
Features an uncredited Carly Simon.
Quite a few big names were involved in this album, presumably because
Lynn Goldsmith knew them from her photography.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
Q: Could they possibly get any worse? A: Yes.
Impressive that they managed that when this sing involves encouraging
people to sneeze.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Awful record. the follow up single ('Here Comes The Rain Again') was
much, much better.
I agree, that's one of my favourites.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
29. (40) Olympic Orchestra Reilly
The theme to the TV programme "Reilly, Ace Of Spies".
I'm not sure why they only called the single 'Reilly'. It's not like it
would mean anything to people who hadn't seen the programme anyway.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
Great single and a good B side (a live version of 'Walk Out To Winter').
Not on my copy. :-(
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
As said, this could almost be a Yazoo single. In fact it was probably
written with Alison Moyet's vocals in mind.
I don't know whether it was or whether he just liked writing that way. A
lot of Erasure songs would suit her voice as well.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
44. (39) Sharon Redd Love How You Feel
Banned by daytime Radio 1 due to the slightly dodgy lyrics.
They couldn't handle it?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
53. (NE) Tom Robinson And Crew Listen To The Radio -
Atmospherics
His last top 40 hit.
Not that he ever had that many.
It had originally been released as 'Atmospherics' before it was reissued
under this title after the success of 'War Baby'.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
Still a great record.
It is, to be fair.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
One of those bands that the music press (especially Record Mirror)
seemed to like but who failed to achieve commercial success.
Were they goths?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Totally unnecessary release of their 1978 album track.
Was it part of a medley on the original album?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
75. (77) This Mortal Coil Song To The Siren
Wonderful song. Later sampled on a dance hit from 1992 ('Temple Of
dreams' by Messiah).
Probably sampled illicitly a few times too.
Post by Chris Brown
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
originally and incorrectly credited to Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.
Flash had to launch a lawsuit to have his name removed from the artist
credits.
Yeah, I edited it to the correct version for consistency.
Post by Robbie
As if that wasn't enough the label were also sued by the copyright
owners of the band Liquid Liquid whose track 'Cavern' was illegally
sampled for the bassline and structure of the song on 'White Lines'. The
outcome was that Sugar Hill Records went bankrupt.
http://youtu.be/yGncWGLHdQw
Although I notice Liquid Liquid didn't manage to get a writing credit on
subsequent releases of the track, whereas Chic did one for 'Rapper's
Delight'. I suppose they had better lawyers.

Chris
Robbie
2016-11-23 12:35:09 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
Great single and a good B side (a live version of 'Walk Out To Winter').
Not on my copy. :-(
It looks like my memory is playing up. I could have sworn 'Walk Out To
Winter (Live)' was on the B side but it appears not. It seems to have
been 'Orchid Girl' that was the B side. I must have had more Aztec
Camera singles than I first remembered. 'Walk Out To Winter (Live)' was
the B side of 1984 single 'Still On Fire'. Which I don't recall ever
owning! And looking at their discography at 45cat.com I now remember I
also owned 'All I Need Is Everything'.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
44. (39) Sharon Redd Love How You Feel
Banned by daytime Radio 1 due to the slightly dodgy lyrics.
They couldn't handle it?
Good one!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
One of those bands that the music press (especially Record Mirror)
seemed to like but who failed to achieve commercial success.
Were they goths?
Yup. They seem to have reformed in 2011 after splitting in 1987.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Totally unnecessary release of their 1978 album track.
Was it part of a medley on the original album?
It was part of a mini-musical / medley called 'The Girl With The Golden
Hair' which Abba performed while on tour in 1977 which was 4 songs long
though only 3 of them made it to 'Abba: The Album'.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2016-11-24 10:37:03 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
Great single and a good B side (a live version of 'Walk Out To Winter').
Not on my copy. :-(
It looks like my memory is playing up. I could have sworn 'Walk Out To
Winter (Live)' was on the B side but it appears not. It seems to have
been 'Orchid Girl' that was the B side.
Yeah, that's on the CD version of the album too.
Apparently there is a double 7" with live tracks but not that song.

I must have had more Aztec
Post by Robbie
Camera singles than I first remembered. 'Walk Out To Winter (Live)' was
the B side of 1984 single 'Still On Fire'. Which I don't recall ever
owning!
Not many people did.
Post by Robbie
And looking at their discography at 45cat.com I now remember I
also owned 'All I Need Is Everything'.
I have the 12" of that with their version of 'Jump' on the B-side.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
One of those bands that the music press (especially Record Mirror)
seemed to like but who failed to achieve commercial success.
Were they goths?
Yup. They seem to have reformed in 2011 after splitting in 1987.
I guessed because the spelling of "Danse" reminded me of Danse Macarbre.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Totally unnecessary release of their 1978 album track.
Was it part of a medley on the original album?
It was part of a mini-musical / medley called 'The Girl With The Golden
Hair' which Abba performed while on tour in 1977 which was 4 songs long
though only 3 of them made it to 'Abba: The Album'.
Was this the first isolated release of the song then?

Chris
Robbie
2016-11-24 13:33:26 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Totally unnecessary release of their 1978 album track.
Was it part of a medley on the original album?
It was part of a mini-musical / medley called 'The Girl With The Golden
Hair' which Abba performed while on tour in 1977 which was 4 songs long
though only 3 of them made it to 'Abba: The Album'.
Was this the first isolated release of the song then?
It was though it would most likely have been the B side to 'Eagle' in
1978 had Abba allowed Epic to release 'Eagle' as a single. Epic wanted
to release 'Eagle' as a follow up to 'Take A Chance On Me' but Abba put
a block on it in the UK as their contract with the label allowed them
the right to do this. In countries where they didn't have the same
clause in their contract 'Eagle' was released with 'Thank You For The
Music' as the B side.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
John
2016-11-24 02:27:52 UTC
In article <o118jr$iom$***@dont-email.me>, Robbie, ***@hotmail.com
says...
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
originally and incorrectly credited to Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.
Flash had to launch a lawsuit to have his name removed from the artist
credits.
As if that wasn't enough the label were also sued by the copyright
owners of the band Liquid Liquid whose track 'Cavern' was illegally
sampled for the bassline and structure of the song on 'White Lines'. The
outcome was that Sugar Hill Records went bankrupt.
http://youtu.be/yGncWGLHdQw
Interesting back story there Robbie. I always knew it as Grandmaster
Flash, and hadn't realised Flash had been removed from the credits.

You can definitely recognise that Bassline.
Robbie
2016-11-24 10:13:20 UTC
Post by John
says...
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
originally and incorrectly credited to Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.
Flash had to launch a lawsuit to have his name removed from the artist
credits.
As if that wasn't enough the label were also sued by the copyright
owners of the band Liquid Liquid whose track 'Cavern' was illegally
sampled for the bassline and structure of the song on 'White Lines'. The
outcome was that Sugar Hill Records went bankrupt.
http://youtu.be/yGncWGLHdQw
Interesting back story there Robbie. I always knew it as Grandmaster
Flash, and hadn't realised Flash had been removed from the credits.
Grandmaster Flash wasn't featured on 'The Message' (from 1982) either
but after complaining about the use of his name on that release had been
reassured that any future releases wouldn't include his name. Sugar Hill
Records knew his name was the one that sold records and so when they
first released 'White Lines' they ignored their own agreement and as a
result got themselves into a lot of trouble...
Robbie
Chris Brown
2016-11-25 15:50:52 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Don't think I've done this one before, although 1983 does come up a lot
because it's an interesting year. This particular week marks the Top 100
debut of three very familiar singles from the decade, two of which must
must rank among the most frequently featured songs in this feature. And
two David Bowie tracks.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6dYRSFBn55jVXSiFJMc3Hx
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNo9EEYD3II-lmiczLGnOgL3
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Perhaps I've told this story before, but I remember seeing him being
interviewed about how difficult it was to make the video; he said it
took all night, "and it was the longest night of the year." With perfect
five-year-old logic, I thought "Well, they should have filmed it on a
shorter night then."
Post by Chris Brown
2. (2) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
Possibly the most pointless bracketed song title ever.
As a five year old I used to sing "we're going to Granada, Fiesta ,
Sierra" because I knew more about cars than partying.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
I still think this is a good pop record, and one of the high points of
the thrown-together Pipes Of Peace album.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (19) Shakin' Stevens Cry Just A Little Bit
Only a little bit?
Post by Chris Brown
5. (9) Adam Ant Puss 'N' Boots
Usually when a record is produced by Phil Collins I mock his insistence
on adding really loud drums to everything, but when it's an Adam Ant
single you couldn't really expect otherwise.
Ironically, he didn't produce the B-side 'Kiss The Drummer'.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
They can't be a very powerful union, you never hear about the snakes
going on strike do you?
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
They were Canadian, which might be why there is a small amount of French
in this song. It probably also makes them even more annoyed if somebody
turns up at their gigs and requests 'Down Under'.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (4) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
Co-written by one of Sailor.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (21) Madness The Sun And The Rain
Their last Top 10 hit of the 80s, written by keyboard player Mike Barson
who handed in his notice shortly after this.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
By contrast their first Top 10 hit and still an interesting anomaly int
heir career.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (10) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
One of two tracks they have on the first Now album, which of course also
includes the above Men W/O Hats, Culture Club, Madness and Cure tracks.
The video shows Ali and Robin Campbell fighting each other in a boxing
ring, which is awkward as they're not in rival factions of the band.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (8) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
Also on Now 1, as it wasn't called at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Still another Now 1 selection. I actually think the flaws in her vocal
performance suit the song.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (7) Howard Jones New Song
And also on Now 1. Throw off your mental chains, etc.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (24) Status Quo A Mess Of Blues
More mess than blues if you ask me. Not on a Now album (i think their
first appearance is Now 4).
Post by Chris Brown
16. (22) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
Features Musical Youth on backing vocals, as you probably knew.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (26) The Police Synchronicity II
Features the lyric "humiliating kick in the crotch", as you were
probably trying to forget.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (25) ABC That Was Then But this Is Now
The song that famously rhymes "mustn't grumble" with "apple crumble".
Relax Sting, turns out you don't have the most embarrassing lyric in
this chart.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (13) George Benson In Your Eyes
Fairly typical ballad stuff. Not to be confused with Kylie Minogue or
Peter Gabriel songs of the same title.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (34) Limahl Only For Love
The first of what turned out to be only two solo hits for him. Gets a
surprisingly prominent slot on Now 1.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (NE) The Rolling Stones Undercover Of The Night
First track in this chart that's on Now 2.
Probably the last interesting Stones single. Also notable for the banned
video. At one point Keith Richards wears a skull mask, which doesn't
seem much of a disguise for him.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (17) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
Back to Now 1. Very odd if possibly ahead of its time single by the fake
self-help guru and an uncredited Carly Simon.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (11) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
When I was at primary school we had to dance to this and do the actions.
One of the teachers used to spray the imaginary deodorant between his
legs, which seems a bit dodgy in retrospect.
Post by Chris Brown
24. (20) Elton John Kiss The Bride
Insert obvious joke here. Though he did of course marry a woman after this.
Post by Chris Brown
25. (18) New Order Blue Monday
In case you were wondering, this isn't on a Now album and in fact New
Order have only ever been on two of them.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (32) Musical Youth 007
Not only were they not a one-hit wonder, they're on two hits in this chart.
I remember seeing them do this on Blue Peter or something.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (45) Eurythmics Right By Your Side
Ultimately irritating.
Post by Chris Brown
28. (16) Lydia Murdock Superstar
An answer song to Billie Jean. Not as good.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (40) Olympic Orchestra Reilly
Or as classical music fans will know it, 'Romance' from The Gadfly by
Shostakovich.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (42) Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart {1983 repromotion}
I'd always thought this was re-released to cash in on the success of
'Blue Monday', although Paul Young had also covered the song earlier in
1983.
Post by Chris Brown
31. (33) Kiss Lick It Up
It's possible that there may be some sort of sexual reference in this
song. I think this was from the brief era when they didn't wear make-up.
Post by Chris Brown
32. (47) Marilyn Calling Your Name
Gavin Rossdale's boyfriend and Boy George's flatmate.
Post by Chris Brown
33. (23) Shalamar Over And Over
Not a memorable song.
Post by Chris Brown
34. (15) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
Cover of a song from the Beatles' White album, of course. Prudence was
Mia Farrow's sister.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (61) Aztec Camera Oblivious {1983 Re-Release}
Top 40 debut for the much loved if not immensely successful Scottish ct.
It had already gone Top 50 on an indie label but this time it had a
major behind it.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (NE) Assembly Never Never
Apparently there was a question about Vince Clarke on Only Connect last
week. I'm not sure whether this song was mentioned.
I love it anyway, it's so exquisitely sad.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (30) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
This Is A Shouty Song.
Apparently the original 'Public Image' was on the B-side, maybe that was
a selling point.
Post by Chris Brown
38. (37) AC/DC Guns For Hire
Title may be a euphemism.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (29) UB40 Red Red Wine
Their other Now 1 appearance.
The version of UB40 that Ali Campbell is in have just released their own
brand of wine. Spoiler: it's not a rosé.
Post by Chris Brown
40. (36) King Kurt Destination Zululand
One of the few hit singles from the psychobilly scene. They later signed
to a major label and released an album called Big Cock.
Post by Chris Brown
41. (44) Galaxy Fantasy Real
Their biggest hits were already behind them.
Post by Chris Brown
42. (78) Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Technically, Yes had already had their biggest UK hit, but this was
their biggest in the US and the song most people will know them for.
Post by Chris Brown
43. (28) David Bowie Modern Love
The last single from the Let's Dance album and whilst it's not his most
important record I've always enjoyed it. Another track that's on Now 2.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (39) Sharon Redd Love How You Feel
The not at all formulaic follow-up to 'Can You Handle It?' Looks like
not many people could.
Post by Chris Brown
45. (56) Eddy Grant Till I Can't Take No More
Not sure how much Eddy Grant I can take.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (65) David Bowie White Light/White Heat
Live version of the Velvet Underground song, recorded at the last Ziggy
Stardust concert ten years earlier and released by his old label as a
cash-in. He was still performing the song in 1983.
Post by Chris Brown
47. (43) Rainbow Can't Let You Go
Can't be bothered to do a Zippy joke here.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (NE) Genesis That's All
Slightly fussy second single from their untitled album. Found its way to
Now 1.
Post by Chris Brown
49. (50) Foster & Allen I Will Love You All My Life
Why Daniel O'Donnell had to happen.
Post by Chris Brown
50. (31) Meat Loaf Midnight At The Lost And Found
His career was more lost than found at this point.
Post by Chris Brown
51. (27) Nick Heyward Blue Hat For A Blue Day
I'm glad to see he's finally starting to get some of the respect he
deserves as a songwriter. Despite or because of the slightly silly title
this is quite heartwarming.
Post by Chris Brown
52. (41) Level 42 Micro Kid
A song about a child being obsessed with computers, which must have been
pretty cutting-edge in 1983.
Post by Chris Brown
53. (NE) Tom Robinson And Crew Listen To The Radio - Atmospherics
Co-written by Peter Gabriel. They first met when they were double-booked
at the same venue on the same night.
Post by Chris Brown
54. (55) Bauhaus The Singles '81-'83
[The Passion Of Lovers; Kick In The Eye; Spirit; Ziggy Stardust;
Lagartija Nick; She's In Parties]
And here's another David Bowie song.
Post by Chris Brown
55. (NE) The Smiths This Charming Man
I suppose this song might be about what we'd now call "grooming, but it
was consciously performed and produced in a more radio-friendly style
than their previous single.
Post by Chris Brown
56. (66) Imagination New Dimension
I heard Leeee John being interviewed in a David Bowie documentary last
night. I'm not convinced I learnt a lot from that.
Post by Chris Brown
57. (46) Dio Rainbow In The Dark
Can't be bothered to do a Zippy joke here either.
Ronnie James Dio was the original lead singer of Rainbow, I'm not sure
whether this title is a coincidence.
Post by Chris Brown
58. (86) Care Flaming Sword
One of several bands Ian Broudie was in before he finally had proper
success in the Lightning Seeds. He was already doing well as a producer
for other acts.
Post by Chris Brown
59. (38) David Grant Love Will Find A Way
I suppose it did.
Post by Chris Brown
60. (72) Danse Society Heaven Is Waiting
Very early-80s band name.
Post by Chris Brown
61. (63) Major Harris All My Life
Better than a Minor Harris I suppose.
Post by Chris Brown
62. (35) Depeche Mode Love In Itself-2
Sources seem to be inconsistent on whether "2" is part of the song title
or not. It certainly isn't one of their most famous songs from the 80s
but it's not awful.
Post by Chris Brown
63. (49) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My
Love
Another track from Now 1, although it feels slightly out of place there
because it doesn't really sound very 1983.
Post by Chris Brown
64. (NE) ABBA Thank You For The Music
Of course this isn't from 1983 either. It was plugging a ballads
compilation with a very of-its-time sleeve.
Post by Chris Brown
65. (60) Curtis Hairston I Want You (All Tonight)
He had a bigger bit with 'I Want Your Lovin (Just A Little Bit)' which
presumably means people weren't keen to give much of themselves to
Curtis Hairston.
Post by Chris Brown
66. (57) China Crisis Working With Fire And Steel
Welding?
Post by Chris Brown
67. (NE) Kim Wilde Dancing In The Dark
And this was as high as it got, despite a single mix by Nile Rodgers.
Post by Chris Brown
68. (75) Brian May And Friends Star Fleet
One of his friends was Eddie Van Halen. And they jammed this version of
an old TV theme. Possibly more fun for them than us.
Post by Chris Brown
69. (58) Bruce Foxton This Is The Way
From his brief run of solo success.
Post by Chris Brown
70. (NE) Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Islands In The Stream
Written by the Bee Gees, who did pretty well as songwriters in the 80s
so long as somebody else did the lead vocal.
Post by Chris Brown
71. (76) Caramba Fedora (I'll Be Your Dawg)
Song (in the broadest sense) from a Kia-Ora advert, which makes very
little sense in sound only with the advertising references removed.
Post by Chris Brown
72. (80) JoBoxers Jealous Love
I actually like this more than their big hits.
Post by Chris Brown
75. (77) This Mortal Coil Song To The Siren
4ad's house band cover the song written and originally performed by Tim
"probably more famous for being Jeff Buckley's father nowadays" Buckley.
Post by Chris Brown
77. (NE) Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax
Before anyone felt the need to ban it.
Post by Chris Brown
78. (NE) Kid Creole And The Coconuts The Lifeboat Party
I got this played on the radio as a request last weekend.
Considering how big they were in 1982, 1983 must have been a big
comedown for them.
Post by Chris Brown
80. (NE) Dolby's Cube Get Out Of My Mix
I suppose this is a kind of self-megamix.
Post by Chris Brown
81. (84) Street Angels Dressing Up
I think they were some sort of British answer to the Mary Jane Girls.
Post by Chris Brown
82. (NE) Nik Kershaw I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Another song that had a while to go before it became a big hit.
Post by Chris Brown
84. (NE) Electric Light Orchestra Four Little Diamonds
85. (NE) Grandmaster And Melle Mel White Lines (Don't Do It)
As far as I know only one of these songs is about drugs.
http://www.basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2016/3/29/how-to-remember-the-name-of-that-song-you-know-that-one.html
Post by Chris Brown
87. (87) Rose Marie When I Leave The World Behind
Sometime Daniel O'Donnell collaborator sings about death.
Post by Chris Brown
88. (NE) Carmel Willow Weep For Me
A different Irish vocalist (although technically Carmel was the name of
the group) tackle the old standard.
Post by Chris Brown
89. (NE) Yello Lost Again
I think they're the only Swiss act in the chart. Although Daivd Bowie
lived there at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
90. (NE) Bob Dylan Union Sundown
One of his biggest hits in the 80s. Yeah, not his greatest decade.
Post by Chris Brown
92. (NE) SPK Metal Dance
There are various theories as to what this stands for. The most
memorable is probably Surgical Penis Klinik.
Post by Chris Brown
93. (93) Friends Again State Of Art
One of the less successful acts from the early 80s Scottish scene that
also produced Aztec Camera.
That said, the CD of their album sells for £40 on Discogs so somebody
must like it.
Their last original Top 75 hit.
Mark Goodge
2016-11-25 21:36:18 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) Duran Duran Union Of The Snake
They can't be a very powerful union, you never hear about the snakes
going on strike do you?
Of course, since the date of this chart they've merged with the Union of
Lizards as well as the Amalgamated Society of Chameleons and Geckos, which
subsequently absorbed the Amphibians Guild in order to form the Cold
Blooded Animals Association. But falling numbers meant further
consolidation was necessary, so the CBAA joined forces with the Musical
Instrument Players Union and rebranded itself as Coldplay.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Vidcapper
2016-11-26 06:55:55 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Perhaps I've told this story before, but I remember seeing him being
interviewed about how difficult it was to make the video; he said it
took all night, "and it was the longest night of the year." With perfect
five-year-old logic, I thought "Well, they should have filmed it on a
shorter night then."
Grin.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
I still think this is a good pop record, and one of the high points of
the thrown-together Pipes Of Peace album.
Then I'm glad I haven't heard the low points. :p
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
By contrast their first Top 10 hit and still an interesting anomaly int
heir career.
And the only record of theirs I ever bought.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Still another Now 1 selection. I actually think the flaws in her vocal
performance suit the song.
How do you mean?
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2016-11-26 21:09:48 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date: 12th November 1983
1. (1) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
Perhaps I've told this story before, but I remember seeing him being
interviewed about how difficult it was to make the video; he said it
took all night, "and it was the longest night of the year." With perfect
five-year-old logic, I thought "Well, they should have filmed it on a
shorter night then."
Grin.
At that age it made perfect sense.
I have no idea whether he meant "longest night of the year" literally.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
3. (14) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
I still think this is a good pop record, and one of the high points of
the thrown-together Pipes Of Peace album.
Then I'm glad I haven't heard the low points. :p
It's probably the lyric "I acted like a dustbin lid".
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
10. (12) The Cure The Love Cats
By contrast their first Top 10 hit and still an interesting anomaly int
heir career.
And the only record of theirs I ever bought.
That probably applies to a lot of people.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
13. (5) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
Still another Now 1 selection. I actually think the flaws in her vocal
performance suit the song.
How do you mean?
I think it suits the character she's portraying.

Chris