Won't you forgive me for posting an old chart from 1980?
Chris Brown
2017-04-16 09:33:46 UTC
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.

Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk

Chart dated 19th April 1990

1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
3. (2) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
4. (5) UB40 King/Food For Thought
5. (4) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
8. (13) The Pretenders Talk Of The Town
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
10. (8) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
15. (9) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
17. (7) The Vapors Turning Japanese
18. (16) Secret Affair My World
19. (25) BA Robertson Kool In The Kaftan
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
21. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
22. (22) Bodysnatchers Let's Do Rock Steady
23. (24) Sad Café My Oh My
24. (46) Sky Toccata
25. (37) Saxon Wheels Of Steel
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
27. (23) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
28. (14) Fern Kinney Together We Are Beautiful
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
30. (40) Bobby Thurston Check Out The Groove
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
32. (54) Elvis Costello And The Attractions High Fidelity
33. (34) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; Daydream Believer; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
34. (58) The Nolans Don't Make Waves
35. (20) Rainbow All Night Long
36. (38) Bad Manners Ne-Ne-Na-Na-Na-Na-Nu-Nu
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
38. (45) The Buggles Clean Clean
39. (28) Rush Spirit Of Radio
40. (26) Marti Webb Take That Look Off Your Face
41. (49) Pete Townshend Rough Boys
42. (44) Harry J All-Stars And The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De
Bucket
43. (31) The Dooleys Love Patrol
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
45. (27) The Captain And Tennille Do That To Me One More Time
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
48. (39) The Beat Hands Off - She's Mine
49. (57) High Numbers I'm The Face
50. (65) Girl Hollywood Tease
51. (NE) Ruts Staring At The Rude Boys
52. (47) Magnum Magnum Live EP
[All Of My Life; Great Adventure; Invasion; Kingdom Of Madness]
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
54. (NE) The Ramones Do You Remember Rock 'N' Roll Radio
55. (64) The Cure A Forest
56. (62) Sheena Easton Modern Girl
57. (36) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa {1980}
58. (74) The Motors Love And Loneliness
59. (35) John Foxx No-One Driving
60. (42) The Police So Lonely
61. (NE) Shy Girl (It's All I Have)
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
63. (56) Suzi Quatro I've Never Been In Love
64. (48) The Stranglers Bear Cage
65. (55) Rose Royce Ooh Boy
66. (52) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On
67. (NE) Marti Webb Tell Me On A Sunday
68. (60) Stevie Wonder Outside My Window
69. (NE) Christopher Cross Ride Like The Wind
70. (NE) Rodney Franklin The Groove
71. (53) Keith Michell/Captain Beaky The Trial Of Hissing Sid
72. (NE) Smokie Take Good Care Of My Baby
73. (NE) Anne Murray Daydream Believer
74. (59) Narada Michael Walden Tonight I'm Alright
75. (NE) Brenda Russell So Good So Right/In The Thick Of It

Chris
Col
2017-04-16 14:40:05 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
At first I thought it was this but of course Gabriel had left Genesis
some years before.
Post by Chris Brown
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
This must be the one then.
Col
Col
2017-04-16 15:14:39 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
This must be the one then.
That's not right either.
OK, forget it!
Col
Chris Brown
2017-04-16 17:44:01 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
At first I thought it was this but of course Gabriel had left Genesis
some years before.
He had, but it's funny to see them charting together.
Phil Collins did drum on some of the Peter Gabriel album (including the
follow-up single 'No Self Control') but unfortunately not this track
otherwise I'd have given you the points.
Post by Col
Post by Chris Brown
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
This must be the one then.
...I don't think Phil Lynott was in Sham 69?
Maybe they would have been better if he was.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-16 21:11:48 UTC
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:44:01 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Col
Post by Chris Brown
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
This must be the one then.
...I don't think Phil Lynott was in Sham 69?
Maybe they would have been better if he was.
It's not a more obscure reference to Paul McCartney, who was his own
band in 'Coming Up', is it?

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-17 09:30:36 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
It's not a more obscure reference to Paul McCartney, who was his own
band in 'Coming Up', is it?
It's not but that's a creative answer.

I actually didn't realise it was so difficult.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-17 09:46:12 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
It's not a more obscure reference to Paul McCartney, who was his own
band in 'Coming Up', is it?
It's not but that's a creative answer.
I actually didn't realise it was so difficult.
Well, you said "guy", so assuming it's a male solo artist, there are
only 14 in the chart that it could be. But none of them look at all
plausible contenders, other than the obvious pairing of Peter Gabriel
and Genesis, which we already know is incorrect.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-17 11:51:13 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
It's not a more obscure reference to Paul McCartney, who was his own
band in 'Coming Up', is it?
It's not but that's a creative answer.
I actually didn't realise it was so difficult.
Well, you said "guy", so assuming it's a male solo artist,
Which is correct (in the sense that he's charting here as a solo artist,
it's not what he's best known for).
Post by Mark Goodge
there are
only 14 in the chart that it could be.
I counted 16, although I admit Keith Michell is debatable. It's not him
Post by Mark Goodge
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
19. (25) BA Robertson Kool In The Kaftan
30. (40) Bobby Thurston Check Out The Groove
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
41. (49) Pete Townshend Rough Boys
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
59. (35) John Foxx No-One Driving
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
68. (60) Stevie Wonder Outside My Window
69. (NE) Christopher Cross Ride Like The Wind
70. (NE) Rodney Franklin The Groove
71. (53) Keith Michell/Captain Beaky The Trial Of Hissing Sid
74. (59) Narada Michael Walden Tonight I'm Alright
But none of them look at all
plausible contenders, other than the obvious pairing of Peter Gabriel
and Genesis, which we already know is incorrect.
This is right.

So the clues I'll give you are that he's better known as a group member
than a solo artist, but the group name he's most associated with is does
not appear in the chart.
Mark Goodge
2017-04-17 12:31:02 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
there are
only 14 in the chart that it could be.
I counted 16, although I admit Keith Michell is debatable. It's not him
OK, 15. I was discounting Keith Michell as that's sort-of-a-band.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
[...]
That still doesn't help a lot. Going through them one by one:

David Essex - best known as a solo artist, I'm not aware of him ever
being in a charting band.

Leon Haywood - ditto.

BA Robertson - ditto.

Bobby Thurston - not even famous enough to have a Wikipedia page, let
alone be associated with multiple bands.

Rupert Holmes - as per David Essex.

Phil Lynott - a plausible contender, were it not for the fact that
none of the bands he played with are in this chart.

Pete Townshend - ditto.

Billy Joel - as per David Essex.

Peter Gabriel - arguable whether he's best known as a band member or
solo artist, but either way none of the bands he played with are in
this chart.

John Foxx - ditto.

Paul McCartney - as per Phil Lynott.

Stevie Wonder - as per David Essex.

Christopher Cross - ditto.

Rodney Franklin - probably better known as a writer of theme tunes,
but as a chart musician better known as a solo artist.

Narada Michael Walden - better known as a solo artist, at least as far
as his chart career is concerned, although he did a lot of session and
production work for other artists. But, still, none of them appear in
this chart.

So.... what am I missing?

(I'm thinking that maybe someone like Pete Townsend or John Foxx
contributed to someone else's track, possibly as a favour, but if so
it's still pretty obscure.)

Mark
James Heaton
2017-04-17 20:11:37 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
[...]
Weren't The Who called the High Numbers at one stage early in their career?

So that would be Townsend at 41 with Rough Boys and High Numbers at 49 with
it's the face?

But it me took quite a bit of thinking to make that connection?

James
Chris Brown
2017-04-18 14:08:24 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Well, you said "guy", so assuming it's a male solo artist,
Which is correct (in the sense that he's charting here as a solo artist,
it's not what he's best known for).
Weren't The Who called the High Numbers at one stage early in their career?
So that would be Townsend at 41 with Rough Boys and High Numbers at 49
with it's the face?
That's right!
Post by James Heaton
But it me took quite a bit of thinking to make that connection?
I actually didn't know it was that obscure a fact. I feel bad now.

Chris
James Heaton
2017-04-18 17:41:44 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
But it me took quite a bit of thinking to make that connection?
I actually didn't know it was that obscure a fact. I feel bad now.
Don't, it seems to have provided a good mental workout for quite a few of
us, and a good debate.

Just pure luck really I got it - and it dates back to (I think) 1990 as we
were talking about in the other thread.

I had flu over Xmas - the really nasty type that leaves you on your back for
a week, not the 'bad cold' type.

As it was Xmas, my Dad's then-employer kindly lent him a VHS video player
from the training department to put up in my bedroom to cheer me up.

One of the videos Dad got from the video shop was a Who concert and it was
mentioned in that. I remember thinking 'what a silly name - High
Numbers'...

Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros concert
amongst many others!

James
Chris Brown
2017-04-18 21:10:07 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
But it me took quite a bit of thinking to make that connection?
I actually didn't know it was that obscure a fact. I feel bad now.
Don't, it seems to have provided a good mental workout for quite a few
of us, and a good debate.
Admittedly, anyone who listened to the Spotify/YouTube versions would
have seen the Who/High Numbers connection (assuming they knew who
Townshend was of course) but I know some people have other things to do.
Post by James Heaton
Just pure luck really I got it - and it dates back to (I think) 1990 as
we were talking about in the other thread.
I had flu over Xmas - the really nasty type that leaves you on your back
for a week, not the 'bad cold' type.
I'm not sure I've ever had one quite that bad.
Post by James Heaton
As it was Xmas, my Dad's then-employer kindly lent him a VHS video
player from the training department to put up in my bedroom to cheer me up.
One of the videos Dad got from the video shop was a Who concert and it
was mentioned in that. I remember thinking 'what a silly name - High
Numbers'...
Not the silliest name in the Sixties mind you.
Post by James Heaton
Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros
concert amongst many others!
I now have the complete Fawlty Towers on DVD now. Just yesterday I was
on a rail replacement bus that drove along Preston Road, where they did
some filming.

Chris
Robbie
2017-04-18 21:59:58 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros
concert amongst many others!
I now have the complete Fawlty Towers on DVD now. Just yesterday I was
on a rail replacement bus that drove along Preston Road, where they did
some filming.
I used to live on a street just off from the south end of Preston Road
in what I suppose is North Wembley and indeed spent many a night in the
Preston pub (is it still there?). At the time I wasn't aware that some
of the filming of Fawlty Towers had taken place on Preston Road. Which
part of Preston Road did the filming take place? North or south of the
tube station?
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-04-22 10:53:40 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros
concert amongst many others!
I now have the complete Fawlty Towers on DVD now. Just yesterday I was
on a rail replacement bus that drove along Preston Road, where they
did some filming.
I used to live on a street just off from the south end of Preston Road
in what I suppose is North Wembley
I suppose so. I always used to think of Preston Road as part of Kenton
but officially it's Wembley.
Post by Robbie
and indeed spent many a night in the
Preston pub (is it still there?).
According to Google, yes. It's now an Ember Inn.
Post by Robbie
At the time I wasn't aware that some
of the filming of Fawlty Towers had taken place on Preston Road. Which
part of Preston Road did the filming take place? North or south of the
tube station?
Wait, you expect me to have a sense of direction?

I always thought it was south (ie closer to Wembley) but this local
paper article suggests it wasn't where I thought:
http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/14782930.Did_you_know_an_infamous_Fawlty_Towers_scene_was_filmed_here_/

Mind you, there's no point posting this today because I presume
everyone's queuing up for Record Store Day to buy the Fawlty Towers
picture disc.

Chris
Robbie
2017-04-23 15:00:24 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros
concert amongst many others!
I now have the complete Fawlty Towers on DVD now. Just yesterday I was
on a rail replacement bus that drove along Preston Road, where they
did some filming.
I used to live on a street just off from the south end of Preston Road
in what I suppose is North Wembley
I suppose so. I always used to think of Preston Road as part of Kenton
but officially it's Wembley.
It was Wembley back in my day! Well, the south part was anyway...
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
and indeed spent many a night in the
Preston pub (is it still there?).
According to Google, yes. It's now an Ember Inn.
When I used to drink in there it was always full of Arsenal supporters.
On the night Arsenal beat Liverpool to win the old 1st Division, back in
May 1989, there was only me and one lone Scouser shouting for Liverpool!
The rest of the pub were all Gooners! It was just a month after
Hillsborough and us (Newcastle) had just been relegated...
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
At the time I wasn't aware that some
of the filming of Fawlty Towers had taken place on Preston Road. Which
part of Preston Road did the filming take place? North or south of the
tube station?
Wait, you expect me to have a sense of direction?
If it's south of the tube station then it's Wembley!
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-04-23 22:55:56 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Seem to recall we also got through complete Fawlty Towers and a Bros
concert amongst many others!
I now have the complete Fawlty Towers on DVD now. Just yesterday I was
on a rail replacement bus that drove along Preston Road, where they
did some filming.
I used to live on a street just off from the south end of Preston Road
in what I suppose is North Wembley
I suppose so. I always used to think of Preston Road as part of Kenton
but officially it's Wembley.
It was Wembley back in my day! Well, the south part was anyway...
I think it always was, but I just thought of it as Kenton, because I
could walk there through the park.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
and indeed spent many a night in the
Preston pub (is it still there?).
According to Google, yes. It's now an Ember Inn.
When I used to drink in there it was always full of Arsenal supporters.
On the night Arsenal beat Liverpool to win the old 1st Division, back in
May 1989, there was only me and one lone Scouser shouting for Liverpool!
The rest of the pub were all Gooners! It was just a month after
Hillsborough and us (Newcastle) had just been relegated...
Quite a season, 1989.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
At the time I wasn't aware that some
of the filming of Fawlty Towers had taken place on Preston Road. Which
part of Preston Road did the filming take place? North or south of the
tube station?
Wait, you expect me to have a sense of direction?
If it's south of the tube station then it's Wembley!
I thought it was, but apparently not.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
I always thought it was south (ie closer to Wembley) but this local
http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/14782930.Did_you_know_an_infamous_Fawlty_Towers_scene_was_filmed_here_/
Mind you, there's no point posting this today because I presume
everyone's queuing up for Record Store Day to buy the Fawlty Towers
picture disc.
That really does exist, by the way:

https://www.discogs.com/John-Cleese-Prunella-Scales-Connie-Booth-And-Andrew-Sachs-Fawlty-Towers/release/10174771

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-04-16 14:52:07 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
One of their best.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
As per the #1
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
OK for a DE song.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
Great song!
Post by Chris Brown
24. (46) Sky Toccata
Another very good song.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
OK
Post by Chris Brown
33. (34) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; Daydream Believer; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
Most of their best-known songs.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
Another very good one.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Robbie
2017-04-16 16:02:58 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
The track was a medley of both songs rather than a double A sided single...
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-04-16 17:29:00 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
That's not really possible, as they're a medley (I should have corrected
the punctuation) though the second song is less memorable.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
One of their best.
Though I can't remember how much this is a Blondie record rather than
just a Giorgio Moroder record with Debbie Harry on vocals.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
As per the #1
They are different songs this time, although I think 'Dreams Of
Children' has had some minor amount of airplay. It seems to get less
attention than 'Precious' though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
OK for a DE song.
Still a ballad though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
21. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
Great song!
I agree.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
24. (46) Sky Toccata
Another very good song.
Not so sure about this version though.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
OK
Technically their biggest hit.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
33. (34) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; Daydream Believer; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
Most of their best-known songs.
Indeed I just checked on Spotify and those are four of the Top 5 there
(the other one is 'Me & Magdalena' which only came out last year so
couldn't have been on here anyway). I guess their next two biggest are
'Pleasant Valley Sunday' and the theme tune.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
Another very good one.
I know it's a very unpopular opinion but I always thought this was a tad
overrated.

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-04-17 06:28:36 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
That's not really possible, as they're a medley
Maybe I'm thinking of another song then?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
As per the #1
They are different songs this time, although I think 'Dreams Of
Children' has had some minor amount of airplay.
Some? I can never ever remember hearing it on the radio!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
Another very good one.
I know it's a very unpopular opinion but I always thought this was a tad
overrated.
By whom?
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Mark Goodge
2017-04-17 08:51:50 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
That's not really possible, as they're a medley
Maybe I'm thinking of another song then?
I think you're thinking of the right song, but are being misled
somewhat by the title.

"Working my way back to you" was originally a hit for The Four Seasons
in 1966. The Spinners (later AKA the Detroit Spinners) released a
medley reworking of it, along with "Forgive Me Girl", in 1979 (and a
re-release of that is what we're discussing here).

However, the latter song is far more obscure, having never charted in
its own right. So most people who hear the (Detroit) Spinners' version
probably don't appreciate that it is a medley, they just think it's a
variant of the original with some extra verses inserted (or even, if
that's the first version they encounter, they assume that's how it was
written in the first place).

The presentation of the title, though, with the / in between the two
parts, suggests a double-A side or similar, with the consequence that
many people reading it will think that the first title is the title of
the first song on the single, and the second title is the title of the
second, and simply assume (as you seem to have done) that they don't
recall hearing the second.

In reality, it's a multi-part name of a single song, and the B-side is
something else entirely (which you genuinely probably haven't heard!).

Mark
Mark Goodge
2017-04-17 08:55:17 UTC
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:51:50 +0100, I
(and a re-release of that is what we're discussing here).
No we're not, this is the 1979 Spinners original. I'm getting my
charts confused. But so is Chris, if you look at the date he's put at
the top of it :-)

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-17 09:35:37 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:51:50 +0100, I
(and a re-release of that is what we're discussing here).
No we're not, this is the 1979 Spinners original. I'm getting my
charts confused. But so is Chris, if you look at the date he's put at
the top of it :-)
Hah!

I presume it was at least redistributed at some point between an
original release in 1979 and charting well into 1980.

Chris
Chris Brown
2017-04-17 09:34:13 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
That's not really possible, as they're a medley
Maybe I'm thinking of another song then?
I think you're thinking of the right song, but are being misled
somewhat by the title.
"Working my way back to you" was originally a hit for The Four Seasons
in 1966.
Not written by them, I'm surprised to learn.
Post by Mark Goodge
The Spinners (later AKA the Detroit Spinners) released a
medley reworking of it, along with "Forgive Me Girl", in 1979 (and a
re-release of that is what we're discussing here).
And to add to the confusion, not all copies actually list the 'Forgive
Me Girl' section.
Post by Mark Goodge
In reality, it's a multi-part name of a single song, and the B-side is
something else entirely (which you genuinely probably haven't heard!).
I looked it up and I've already forgotten.

Chris
Chris Brown
2017-04-17 09:07:26 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I only know the first of those.
That's not really possible, as they're a medley
Maybe I'm thinking of another song then?
No, as I say it's more likely you've forgotten the 'Forgive Me Girl'
section.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
As per the #1
They are different songs this time, although I think 'Dreams Of
Children' has had some minor amount of airplay.
Some? I can never ever remember hearing it on the radio!
That doesn't actually disprove me unless you've been listening to every
radio station in the country 24 hours a day for 37 years and have
perfect recall of it all.
It does have a video, unlike many an AA side.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
Another very good one.
I know it's a very unpopular opinion but I always thought this was a tad
overrated.
By whom?
People who think it's better than I do, obviously.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-17 22:16:25 UTC
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 10:33:46 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk
Chart dated 19th April 1990
As already pointed out, that date is off by about ten years :-)

Going back to the real date, 1980 was a pretty big year for music. And
there are some pretty big songs in here, too - plenty that are
classics of the era, and a fair smattering of all-time greats as well.
(And of course, the usual selection of forgettable dross). I was just
into my late teens at this point, and was into music in a big way, so
there are a lot of my own personal favourites in here as well. In many
respects. it's an archetypal turn-of-the-decade chart.

I've seen two of the acts in here play live. I've also been to a pub
quiz where the lead singer of one of the acts in here was the
quizmaster.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl
That said, this is not an archetypal song of the era. Although the
disco peak of the late 70s had yet to fade away completely, this was a
cover of a 60s song (with, as discussed earlier, added bits), so it
doesn't quite fit the vibe. I wasn't much of a fan of it at the time,
it being somewhat too disco for my tastes. It is, nonetheless, a
decent enough song.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
This, on the other hand, is pure early 80s gold. Among Blondie fans
there are divided opinions as to whether their creative peak was their
earlier, punkier version or the later, poppier version, and this song
is firmly in the latter camp, so it doesn't meet with universal
approval. On the other hand, some people - including me - liked both
incarnations. I was a huge Blondie fan at the time - even had the
Debbie Harry poster on my bedroom wall - and this was one of my
favourite songs at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (2) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
And this, by way of contrast, is awful.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) UB40 King/Food For Thought
Not their best. Either of them. Although the second is probably more
memorable now. It's slightly strange, given the Christmas references
in the lyrics, that it was released in Spring.
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
70s throwback.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
All-time classic. At least, the first of these is. The second, not so.
This was their first number one, and one of my favourites at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
Although an EP, this is another multi-song single that's really only
known for the lead track. It's a good song, though.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (13) The Pretenders Talk Of The Town
Not one of their better known songs, now. Still good, though.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
I wasn't over keen on this at the time, mainly because I tended to
associated David Essex with screeching teenage girls. But it's not a
bad song, as songs go.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
Mod revival. Would been better left as DNR, to be honest.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
Unusually for her, at least as far as the charts were concerned, this
wasn't from a musical - it was from a standalone album aimed at radio
and chart success.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
Not quite their debut single, but since their real debut had barely
scraped into the charts it might as well have been. Very much of its
time, as are the band - although this, and Come on Eileen, are seminal
tracks of the early 80s, they did little else worthy of note.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Good song. One of my favourites at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
Bit pants, really.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (9) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
Unmemorable.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
Ditto.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (7) The Vapors Turning Japanese
Very much of its time.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (16) Secret Affair My World
OKish song. Very stereotypical early 80s, though.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A bit bland, by their standards.
Post by Chris Brown
21. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
Classic of the era. And something of a one-hit wonder, at least in the
UK.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (22) Bodysnatchers Let's Do Rock Steady
Bland.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (24) Sad Café My Oh My
Dull.
Post by Chris Brown
24. (46) Sky Toccata
Somewhat left-field, but a good track for all that.
Post by Chris Brown
25. (37) Saxon Wheels Of Steel
Derivative metal.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
I liked this at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (23) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
Not one of their more memorable songs.
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
Probbaly the only track in this chart that references both a popular
table-top football game and another well-known 80s band.

This was one of my favorite songs at the time. I even ventured to
disagree with John Peel, on the basis that Teenage Kicks wasn't as
good as this. I still have half a mind to defend that opinion now.
Post by Chris Brown
30. (40) Bobby Thurston Check Out The Groove
Derivative disco.
Post by Chris Brown
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
Unmemorable.
Post by Chris Brown
33. (34) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; Daydream Believer; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
Hey hey.
Post by Chris Brown
34. (58) The Nolans Don't Make Waves
Meh.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (20) Rainbow All Night Long
Metal sexism in its purest form.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (38) Bad Manners Ne-Ne-Na-Na-Na-Na-Nu-Nu
Nah.
Post by Chris Brown
38. (45) The Buggles Clean Clean
Not quite a one-hit wonder, but they might as well have been. Trevor
Horn, of course, went on to far greater fame as a producer.
Post by Chris Brown
39. (28) Rush Spirit Of Radio
In retrospect, prog rock was already on the downward curve by then.
But this was Rush's highwater mark as far as the UK charts were
concerned.
Post by Chris Brown
40. (26) Marti Webb Take That Look Off Your Face
The music that time forgot.
Post by Chris Brown
41. (49) Pete Townshend Rough Boys
His solo career never really amounted to much, to be honest.
Post by Chris Brown
42. (44) Harry J All-Stars And The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De
Bucket
Not sure what this was doing charting here.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
Not one of his better remembered songs.
Post by Chris Brown
45. (27) The Captain And Tennille Do That To Me One More Time
Sort of a classic of the era.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
There's a strong body of opinion which holds that this is Blondie's
best song. I'm not entirely sure I'd concur, although that's at least
partly because they had so many good songs that picking a best is
hard. What's possibly more plausible is the assertion that this was
their last great song - although the follow-up single, The Tide is
High, also reached number one it wasn't that good. And it was downhill
from there on, even if Rapture was better than its chart peak
suggested. And of course, the band's demise was not far away at this
point. Not that I knew it then, being a huge Blondie fan (did I
mention I had the obligatgory teenage boy poster of Debbie Harry on
the wall?), I felt that this, the final single from Eat to the Beat,
indicated that they were riding the crest of a creative wave and could
do so for some time yet. How little did I know.
Post by Chris Brown
48. (39) The Beat Hands Off - She's Mine
Good song. I liked this at the time.

[Aside: I can't be bothered to comment on every track just because I
remember it, at least not this far down in the chart.]
Post by Chris Brown
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
Great song. One of my favourites at the time. Also one of the earliest
singles I bought, and the first on which I discovered that the lyrics
weren't quite the same as the radio edit.
Post by Chris Brown
56. (62) Sheena Easton Modern Girl
An early example of a pop star being created by a reality show. In
this case, she actually did quite well out of it.
Post by Chris Brown
57. (36) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa {1980}
Classic track.
Post by Chris Brown
59. (35) John Foxx No-One Driving
I quite liked this at the time.
Post by Chris Brown
60. (42) The Police So Lonely
One of the most misheard lyrics of all time.
Post by Chris Brown
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
Quite an inventive video.
https://twitter.com/igavels

Mark
Robbie
2017-04-18 21:48:30 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl
That said, this is not an archetypal song of the era. Although the
disco peak of the late 70s had yet to fade away completely, this was a
cover of a 60s song (with, as discussed earlier, added bits), so it
doesn't quite fit the vibe. I wasn't much of a fan of it at the time,
it being somewhat too disco for my tastes. It is, nonetheless, a
decent enough song.
I always thought this sounded like something from the pre-disco era. It
sounded dated even when it was new.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
42. (44) Harry J All-Stars And The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De
Bucket
Not sure what this was doing charting here.
It was a re-issue of two tracks from the 1960s and was tied in with the
ska revival. Plus The Specials had already released their own version of
the second track.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
The follow up single is listed above, it's 'Call Me' And of course that
was a number one also.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
Quite an inventive video.
And both the video and song impressed John Lennon so much that it
finally persuaded him to come out of retirement and to record some new
songs. And look what that led to...
Post by Mark Goodge
Mark
Robbie
Mark Goodge
2017-04-19 07:24:06 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
I meant the follow-up from their own core material. Call Me was a
non-album single that was co-written by Giorgio Moroder.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-20 23:57:58 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk
Chart dated 19th April 1990
As already pointed out, that date is off by about ten years :-)
Yeah, I only typed it in at the last minute.
Post by Mark Goodge
Going back to the real date, 1980 was a pretty big year for music. And
there are some pretty big songs in here, too - plenty that are
classics of the era, and a fair smattering of all-time greats as well.
(And of course, the usual selection of forgettable dross). I was just
into my late teens at this point, and was into music in a big way, so
there are a lot of my own personal favourites in here as well. In many
respects. it's an archetypal turn-of-the-decade chart.
I've seen two of the acts in here play live.
Genesis and The Beat, IIRC.
Post by Mark Goodge
I've also been to a pub
quiz where the lead singer of one of the acts in here was the
quizmaster.
That implies somebody British or at least UK-resident, although I can't
imagine Gwen Dickey doing it anyway.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl
That said, this is not an archetypal song of the era. Although the
disco peak of the late 70s had yet to fade away completely, this was a
cover of a 60s song (with, as discussed earlier, added bits), so it
doesn't quite fit the vibe. I wasn't much of a fan of it at the time,
it being somewhat too disco for my tastes. It is, nonetheless, a
decent enough song.
And yet presumably actual disco fans would have found it a bit of a
cash-in. You can't really imagine this spinning at Studio 54 can you?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
This, on the other hand, is pure early 80s gold. Among Blondie fans
there are divided opinions as to whether their creative peak was their
earlier, punkier version or the later, poppier version, and this song
is firmly in the latter camp, so it doesn't meet with universal
approval. On the other hand, some people - including me - liked both
incarnations. I was a huge Blondie fan at the time - even had the
Debbie Harry poster on my bedroom wall - and this was one of my
favourite songs at the time.
Were Blondie ever really punk? They were more like a Sixties rock act
who formed in the Seventies.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
3. (2) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
And this, by way of contrast, is awful.
I was reminded of this last week when I listened to Now 43, which
includes 'Synth & Strings' by Yomanda.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) UB40 King/Food For Thought
Not their best. Either of them.
I think I could probably make a case against that claim.
Post by Mark Goodge
Although the second is probably more
memorable now.
Even at the time it seems to have been the more prominent side, it was
the one they did on TotP etc, but I've just checked and the original 7"
does list 'King' as the A-side and 'Food For Thought' as the AA-side.
Post by Mark Goodge
It's slightly strange, given the Christmas references
in the lyrics, that it was released in Spring.
Maybe that's why they released the sides that way round?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
70s throwback.
Although it was well into the 70s by the time country rock acts started
to try making disco records.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
All-time classic. At least, the first of these is. The second, not so.
Though it has the advantage of being less overplayed now.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
Although an EP, this is another multi-song single that's really only
known for the lead track.
I presume the EP was just a way to make it look better value as the
fourth single from the album.
Post by Mark Goodge
It's a good song, though.
Yes, although not as good as the preceding ones.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
8. (13) The Pretenders Talk Of The Town
Not one of their better known songs, now. Still good, though.
It probably should be.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
I wasn't over keen on this at the time, mainly because I tended to
associated David Essex with screeching teenage girls.
Having seen his eyes in the video when it was on a TotP repeat, I don't
blame them.
Post by Mark Goodge
But it's not a bad song, as songs go.
Not a great one either, but fair enough.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
Mod revival. Would been better left as DNR, to be honest.
Not really a good enough cover to distract people from the original once
the initial burst of success was over.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
Unusually for her, at least as far as the charts were concerned, this
wasn't from a musical - it was from a standalone album aimed at radio
and chart success.
You mean it's unusual that it succeeded.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
Not quite their debut single, but since their real debut had barely
scraped into the charts it might as well have been.
It did get them on TotP, to be fair.
Post by Mark Goodge
Very much of its
time, as are the band - although this, and Come on Eileen, are seminal
tracks of the early 80s, they did little else worthy of note.
Well, they didn't do that much else at all.
Given the extent to which 'Come On Eileen' sweeps all else before it, I
suspect it's only because 'Geno' got to Number One and is owned by a
different record company that it gets any attention at all. I don't
think that's necessarily fair, I quite like the first album, but that's
how things are.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Good song. One of my favourites at the time.
Some people would doubtless claim the subject matter was ahead of its
time. They might be tiresome people though.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
Bit pants, really.
Don't force pants on.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
15. (9) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
Unmemorable.
That's probably what Steps were thinking when they released their not
wholly dissimilar song of the same title.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
Ditto.
It's hard to forget how much Rob Halford looked like Tim Brooke-Taylor
on TotP.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
17. (7) The Vapors Turning Japanese
Very much of its time.
In the casual-racism way.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
18. (16) Secret Affair My World
OKish song. Very stereotypical early 80s, though.
I'd say it's stereotypically turn-of-the-decade as mod-revivalist track.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) BA Robertson Kool In The Kaftan
One of my favourites at the time.
It seems unnecessarily angry.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A bit bland, by their standards.
It's very hard to forget.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
21. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
Classic of the era. And something of a one-hit wonder, at least in the
UK.
More than something - they never charted anything sele, unless you count
the Top 75 hit by M+M.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
22. (22) Bodysnatchers Let's Do Rock Steady
Bland.
Energetic but not much of a song under it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
23. (24) Sad Café My Oh My
Dull.
Good Mick Jagger impersonation.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
24. (46) Sky Toccata
Somewhat left-field, but a good track for all that.
As a hit.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
25. (37) Saxon Wheels Of Steel
Derivative metal.
It must even have seemed so at the time.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
I liked this at the time.
Not now?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
27. (23) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
Not one of their more memorable songs.
Only because most people don't get the opportunity to remember it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
28. (14) Fern Kinney Together We Are Beautiful
Bland.
Yes, though not unpleasant.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
Probbaly the only track in this chart that references both a popular
table-top football game and another well-known 80s band.
Although they wouldn't have been as well-known at the time.
Post by Mark Goodge
This was one of my favorite songs at the time. I even ventured to
disagree with John Peel, on the basis that Teenage Kicks wasn't as
good as this. I still have half a mind to defend that opinion now.
It clearly did sell more.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
30. (40) Bobby Thurston Check Out The Groove
Derivative disco.
Except that it's instrumental.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
Unmemorable.
And indeed few people do remember it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
32. (54) Elvis Costello And The Attractions High Fidelity
Not one of their better known songs.
No, although it was a decent-sized hit at the time.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
33. (34) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; Daydream Believer; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
Hey hey.
I think they saved that for the follow-up EP.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
35. (20) Rainbow All Night Long
Metal sexism in its purest form.
Not quite on the same level as Guns N Roses. But the same direction.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
37. (50) Phil Lynott Dear Miss Lonely Hearts
Dull.
I've already forgotten it.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
38. (45) The Buggles Clean Clean
Not quite a one-hit wonder, but they might as well have been.
Supposedly the album was rushed out because the single was an
unexpectedly big hit.
Post by Mark Goodge
Trevor
Horn, of course, went on to far greater fame as a producer.
And a member of Yes.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
39. (28) Rush Spirit Of Radio
In retrospect, prog rock was already on the downward curve by then.
Though less than the accepted history of the period tells us.
Post by Mark Goodge
But this was Rush's highwater mark as far as the UK charts were
concerned.
And the only song to get any sort of regular airplay now. Presumably
because DJs feel flattered.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
40. (26) Marti Webb Take That Look Off Your Face
The music that time forgot.
Musical?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
41. (49) Pete Townshend Rough Boys
His solo career never really amounted to much, to be honest.
This single scraping laboriously into the Top 40 was as good as it got
here, though he did have a bigger hit in the US.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
42. (44) Harry J All-Stars And The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De
Bucket
Not sure what this was doing charting here.
Presumably because of the ska revival. These two songs are part of the
medley on the Special AKA Live EP.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
Not one of his better remembered songs.
No, I don't think I'd ever heard it before.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
45. (27) The Captain And Tennille Do That To Me One More Time
Sort of a classic of the era.
Not the good sort.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
There's a strong body of opinion which holds that this is Blondie's
best song. I'm not entirely sure I'd concur, although that's at least
partly because they had so many good songs that picking a best is
hard. What's possibly more plausible is the assertion that this was
their last great song - although the follow-up single, The Tide is
High, also reached number one it wasn't that good.
Surely 'Call Me' was the follow-up (and also Number One).
Post by Mark Goodge
And it was downhill
from there on, even if Rapture was better than its chart peak
suggested. And of course, the band's demise was not far away at this
point. Not that I knew it then, being a huge Blondie fan (did I
mention I had the obligatgory teenage boy poster of Debbie Harry on
the wall?), I felt that this, the final single from Eat to the Beat,
indicated that they were riding the crest of a creative wave and could
do so for some time yet. How little did I know.
It's remarkable how fast they seemed to lose their way, although I don't
know whether the strained relationships between band members affected that.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
47. (63) Sham 69 Tell The Children
Dull.
Shouty and yet uninteresting.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
53. (33) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
Great song. One of my favourites at the time. Also one of the earliest
singles I bought, and the first on which I discovered that the lyrics
weren't quite the same as the radio edit.
That's interesting - I was aware of the sanitised lyric but I didn't
realise that wasn't on the released single.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
56. (62) Sheena Easton Modern Girl
An early example of a pop star being created by a reality show. In
this case, she actually did quite well out of it.
She wasn't really created in the talent-show sense though was she? I
thought it was a documentary sort of thing.
Still, it clearly worked for her.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
57. (36) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa {1980}
Classic track.
Only one though.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
59. (35) John Foxx No-One Driving
I quite liked this at the time.
I suppose this subject really was ahead of its time.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
60. (42) The Police So Lonely
One of the most misheard lyrics of all time.
Did you say something? I was too busy kissing this guy and calling
Cheryl Baker.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
Quite an inventive video.
And one that represents the reality of him playing the instruments himself.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
71. (53) Keith Michell/Captain Beaky The Trial Of Hissing Sid
https://twitter.com/igavels
I remember them getting very worked up about when Judge Rinder was on
Strictly.

In this case though, it's unclear which jurisdiction this takes place
in, so who knows whether the judges use gavels there?

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-21 10:11:11 UTC
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:57:58 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Going back to the real date, 1980 was a pretty big year for music. And
there are some pretty big songs in here, too - plenty that are
classics of the era, and a fair smattering of all-time greats as well.
(And of course, the usual selection of forgettable dross). I was just
into my late teens at this point, and was into music in a big way, so
there are a lot of my own personal favourites in here as well. In many
respects. it's an archetypal turn-of-the-decade chart.
I've seen two of the acts in here play live.
Genesis and The Beat, IIRC.
Yup.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
I've also been to a pub
quiz where the lead singer of one of the acts in here was the
quizmaster.
That implies somebody British or at least UK-resident, although I can't
imagine Gwen Dickey doing it anyway.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before. I should add that it wasn't
a common-or-garden pub quiz with a quizmaster who did that stuff
regularly, it was an event put on to publicise the work of industry
body UK Music. The quizmaster was, at the time, UK Music's chief
executive as well as a former chart-topper.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
This, on the other hand, is pure early 80s gold. Among Blondie fans
there are divided opinions as to whether their creative peak was their
earlier, punkier version or the later, poppier version, and this song
is firmly in the latter camp, so it doesn't meet with universal
approval. On the other hand, some people - including me - liked both
incarnations. I was a huge Blondie fan at the time - even had the
Debbie Harry poster on my bedroom wall - and this was one of my
favourite songs at the time.
Were Blondie ever really punk? They were more like a Sixties rock act
who formed in the Seventies.
Their earliest stuff was definitely New York style punk, although they
were already well on the way to a more polished, pop sound by the time
they had their first significant chart sucess.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
Although an EP, this is another multi-song single that's really only
known for the lead track.
I presume the EP was just a way to make it look better value as the
fourth single from the album.
It was filler, really. The band didn't want to release any more
singles from One Step Beyond, but the next album wasn't ready for
release (it came out later that year, in September) and the record
label wanted something to keep them in the public eye in the meantime.
So they compromised on an EP featuring one more track from One Step
beyond and three new, non-album tracks.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Very much of its
time, as are the band - although this, and Come on Eileen, are seminal
tracks of the early 80s, they did little else worthy of note.
Well, they didn't do that much else at all.
Given the extent to which 'Come On Eileen' sweeps all else before it, I
suspect it's only because 'Geno' got to Number One and is owned by a
different record company that it gets any attention at all. I don't
think that's necessarily fair, I quite like the first album, but that's
how things are.
I actually prefer Geno, and possibly because it gets less airplay
these days. For me, at any rate, it's much more of a "spirit of place"
track - listening to it now really takes me back to the time when I
first heard it.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
I liked this at the time.
Not now?
Don't really hear it now. It probably hasn't worn as well as other ska
revival from the same era.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
Probbaly the only track in this chart that references both a popular
table-top football game and another well-known 80s band.
Although they wouldn't have been as well-known at the time.
No, which makes it all the more remarkable that it was included. The
Undertones weren't averse to namechecking celebrities in their songs
(Mars Bar features references to Patrick Moore and David Bowie), but
the Human League were, at the time, possibly a bit too obscure for
most of their listeners to get.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
35. (20) Rainbow All Night Long
Metal sexism in its purest form.
Not quite on the same level as Guns N Roses. But the same direction.
I don't think you can get much more blatantly sexist than the line "I
don't know about your brain but you look all right".
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
But this was Rush's highwater mark as far as the UK charts were
concerned.
And the only song to get any sort of regular airplay now. Presumably
because DJs feel flattered.
Writing a song about the radio has always been a pretty reliable way
of getting airplay.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
There's a strong body of opinion which holds that this is Blondie's
best song. I'm not entirely sure I'd concur, although that's at least
partly because they had so many good songs that picking a best is
hard. What's possibly more plausible is the assertion that this was
their last great song - although the follow-up single, The Tide is
High, also reached number one it wasn't that good.
Surely 'Call Me' was the follow-up (and also Number One).
As I said in my response to Robbie, I don't really consider Call Me
the follow-up to Atomic. Call Me was a non-album (at least,
non-Blondie album) track, and a collaboration rather than a song
written solely by the band. Giorgio Moroder had already written the
basic instrumental track before he asked Debbie Harry to complete it
with lyrics and melody (according to Wikipedia, he originally offered
it to Stevie Nicks), which the band then re-recorded and Moroder
produced. The B-side is, effectively, Moroder's instrumental version
of the song, with a few of Harry's vocals, and clearly shows how much
of it is his contribution rather than the band's.

Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
And it was downhill
from there on, even if Rapture was better than its chart peak
suggested. And of course, the band's demise was not far away at this
point. Not that I knew it then, being a huge Blondie fan (did I
mention I had the obligatgory teenage boy poster of Debbie Harry on
the wall?), I felt that this, the final single from Eat to the Beat,
indicated that they were riding the crest of a creative wave and could
do so for some time yet. How little did I know.
It's remarkable how fast they seemed to lose their way, although I don't
know whether the strained relationships between band members affected that.
I suppose it's the usual story of success helping to paper over the
cracks for a while, but eventually the underlying tensions become
apparent.

It's arguable, too, that Call Me contributed to the band's demise.
Although performed by Blondie and released as a Blondie single, it was
a Giorgio Moroder/Debbie Harry composition that the rest of the band
had no input into - they were effectively session musicians for the
track. Given that part of the tension within the band revolved around
Harry's disproprtionate media profile compared to the rest of the
band, this contributed to the general feeling among some band members
that they were simply being used as a vehicle for Harry's publicity.
Meanwhile, the fact that Harry could co-write a number one single with
someone outside the band made a solo career more attractive for her.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
60. (42) The Police So Lonely
One of the most misheard lyrics of all time.
Did you say something? I was too busy kissing this guy and calling
Cheryl Baker.
Stop it. You've got that stuck in my head now!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
Quite an inventive video.
And one that represents the reality of him playing the instruments himself.
Yes; he's not normally known as a multi-instrumentalist, but he pulls
it off very well in this track.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
71. (53) Keith Michell/Captain Beaky The Trial Of Hissing Sid
https://twitter.com/igavels
I remember them getting very worked up about when Judge Rinder was on
Strictly.
In this case though, it's unclear which jurisdiction this takes place
in, so who knows whether the judges use gavels there?
I suppose that's arguable.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-22 10:46:27 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
I've also been to a pub
quiz where the lead singer of one of the acts in here was the
quizmaster.
That implies somebody British or at least UK-resident, although I can't
imagine Gwen Dickey doing it anyway.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before. I should add that it wasn't
a common-or-garden pub quiz with a quizmaster who did that stuff
regularly, it was an event put on to publicise the work of industry
body UK Music. The quizmaster was, at the time, UK Music's chief
executive as well as a former chart-topper.
Yes, I remember now.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
This, on the other hand, is pure early 80s gold. Among Blondie fans
there are divided opinions as to whether their creative peak was their
earlier, punkier version or the later, poppier version, and this song
is firmly in the latter camp, so it doesn't meet with universal
approval. On the other hand, some people - including me - liked both
incarnations. I was a huge Blondie fan at the time - even had the
Debbie Harry poster on my bedroom wall - and this was one of my
favourite songs at the time.
Were Blondie ever really punk? They were more like a Sixties rock act
who formed in the Seventies.
Their earliest stuff was definitely New York style punk, although they
were already well on the way to a more polished, pop sound by the time
they had their first significant chart sucess.
Was there really such a thing as "New York Style punk". Any genre that
encompasses both Television and the Ramones can't be that homogenous.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
Although an EP, this is another multi-song single that's really only
known for the lead track.
I presume the EP was just a way to make it look better value as the
fourth single from the album.
It was filler, really. The band didn't want to release any more
singles from One Step Beyond, but the next album wasn't ready for
release (it came out later that year, in September) and the record
label wanted something to keep them in the public eye in the meantime.
So they compromised on an EP featuring one more track from One Step
beyond and three new, non-album tracks.
...None of which were presumably thought worthy of single release in
their own right.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Very much of its
time, as are the band - although this, and Come on Eileen, are seminal
tracks of the early 80s, they did little else worthy of note.
Well, they didn't do that much else at all.
Given the extent to which 'Come On Eileen' sweeps all else before it, I
suspect it's only because 'Geno' got to Number One and is owned by a
different record company that it gets any attention at all. I don't
think that's necessarily fair, I quite like the first album, but that's
how things are.
I actually prefer Geno, and possibly because it gets less airplay
these days.
I'm not sure it even matters how much airplay 'Eileen' gets now, because
it's had so many lifetimes' worth already.
Post by Mark Goodge
For me, at any rate, it's much more of a "spirit of place"
track - listening to it now really takes me back to the time when I
first heard it.
Neither of them has that for me, although I probably have more memories
of 'Eileen' as a current song - but 'Geno' is more the sort of song I
like anyway.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
29. (43) The Undertones My Perfect Cousin
Probbaly the only track in this chart that references both a popular
table-top football game and another well-known 80s band.
Although they wouldn't have been as well-known at the time.
No, which makes it all the more remarkable that it was included. The
Undertones weren't averse to namechecking celebrities in their songs
(Mars Bar features references to Patrick Moore and David Bowie), but
the Human League were, at the time, possibly a bit too obscure for
most of their listeners to get.
I always (well, since I started thinking about it ten years or so ago)
thought that was kind of the point, that they wanted a trendy, droppable
name rather than mentioning Giorgio Moroder or Kraftwerk or somebody
better.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
35. (20) Rainbow All Night Long
Metal sexism in its purest form.
Not quite on the same level as Guns N Roses. But the same direction.
I don't think you can get much more blatantly sexist than the line "I
don't know about your brain but you look all right".
"Turn around bitch, I've got a use for you" is pretty valiant effort
though.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
But this was Rush's highwater mark as far as the UK charts were
concerned.
And the only song to get any sort of regular airplay now. Presumably
because DJs feel flattered.
Writing a song about the radio has always been a pretty reliable way
of getting airplay.
Even 'Radio Radio' by Elvis Costello. Though oddly not 'Radio Song' by
R.E.M.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Which is all true, but presumably little of it would have been known to
the casual record-buying public at the time.
I think most people would just have seen it in the line of Blondie singles.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
[...]
You'd think the band name might have tipped them off, TBH.
Post by Mark Goodge
Meanwhile, the fact that Harry could co-write a number one single with
someone outside the band made a solo career more attractive for her.
I presume the fact that two of the band were a couple and the others
weren't added to the tensions too, which might be why the current lineup
are more stable.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
62. (NE) Paul McCartney Coming Up
Quite an inventive video.
And one that represents the reality of him playing the instruments himself.
Yes; he's not normally known as a multi-instrumentalist, but he pulls
it off very well in this track.
Of course the whole album McCartney II is like that, hence the title
referring to the previous McCartney album... not to drift back into
arguments about what is or isn't a follow-up of course!
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
71. (53) Keith Michell/Captain Beaky The Trial Of Hissing Sid
https://twitter.com/igavels
I remember them getting very worked up about when Judge Rinder was on
Strictly.
In this case though, it's unclear which jurisdiction this takes place
in, so who knows whether the judges use gavels there?
I suppose that's arguable.
I know he didn't write it but Keith Michell was Australian. I don't know
whether their judges use gavels.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-22 11:40:49 UTC
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 11:46:27 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Their earliest stuff was definitely New York style punk, although they
were already well on the way to a more polished, pop sound by the time
they had their first significant chart sucess.
Was there really such a thing as "New York Style punk". Any genre that
encompasses both Television and the Ramones can't be that homogenous.
You could make the same argument with the Stranglers and the Sex
Pistols. No genre of music is ever entirely homegoenous or
compartmentalised.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
It was filler, really. The band didn't want to release any more
singles from One Step Beyond, but the next album wasn't ready for
release (it came out later that year, in September) and the record
label wanted something to keep them in the public eye in the meantime.
So they compromised on an EP featuring one more track from One Step
beyond and three new, non-album tracks.
...None of which were presumably thought worthy of single release in
their own right.
No, and rightly so.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
It's arguable, too, that Call Me contributed to the band's demise.
Although performed by Blondie and released as a Blondie single, it was
a Giorgio Moroder/Debbie Harry composition that the rest of the band
had no input into - they were effectively session musicians for the
track. Given that part of the tension within the band revolved around
Harry's disproprtionate media profile compared to the rest of the
band, this contributed to the general feeling among some band members
that they were simply being used as a vehicle for Harry's publicity.
You'd think the band name might have tipped them off, TBH.
Well, yes. If you have a band composed of several blokes and one
blonde woman who happens to be the lead singer, and then call the band
"Blondie", it's unsurprising that a lot of people will confuse the
band with the person.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
In this case though, it's unclear which jurisdiction this takes place
in, so who knows whether the judges use gavels there?
I suppose that's arguable.
I know he didn't write it but Keith Michell was Australian. I don't know
whether their judges use gavels.
Apparently not.

http://survivelaw.com/index.php/blogs/procrastination/941-working-hardly-random-facts-about-the-gavel

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-04-27 22:08:31 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Their earliest stuff was definitely New York style punk, although they
were already well on the way to a more polished, pop sound by the time
they had their first significant chart sucess.
Was there really such a thing as "New York Style punk". Any genre that
encompasses both Television and the Ramones can't be that homogenous.
You could make the same argument with the Stranglers and the Sex
Pistols. No genre of music is ever entirely homegoenous or
compartmentalised.
That's a smaller range though (in terms of the punk era, when the
Stranglers were knowingly pandering to that style) but I see the point.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
It's arguable, too, that Call Me contributed to the band's demise.
Although performed by Blondie and released as a Blondie single, it was
a Giorgio Moroder/Debbie Harry composition that the rest of the band
had no input into - they were effectively session musicians for the
track. Given that part of the tension within the band revolved around
Harry's disproprtionate media profile compared to the rest of the
band, this contributed to the general feeling among some band members
that they were simply being used as a vehicle for Harry's publicity.
You'd think the band name might have tipped them off, TBH.
Well, yes. If you have a band composed of several blokes and one
blonde woman who happens to be the lead singer, and then call the band
"Blondie", it's unsurprising that a lot of people will confuse the
band with the person.
So I'm not sure why they hadn't anticipated this.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
In this case though, it's unclear which jurisdiction this takes place
in, so who knows whether the judges use gavels there?
I suppose that's arguable.
I know he didn't write it but Keith Michell was Australian. I don't know
whether their judges use gavels.
Apparently not.
http://survivelaw.com/index.php/blogs/procrastination/941-working-hardly-random-facts-about-the-gavel
Well, I've learnt something today.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-04-28 08:26:05 UTC
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:08:31 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
[...]
When you're a new and unknown band, anything that will generate
publicity is welcome. The fact that decisions made then may later come
back to haunt you is rarely at the forefront of anyone's thinking.

Mark
Rink
2021-03-15 23:42:06 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
<https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj>

<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk>
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated 19th April 1980
2.    (21)    Blondie    Call Me
This, on the other hand, is pure early 80s gold. Among Blondie fans
there are divided opinions as to whether their creative peak was their
earlier, punkier version or the later, poppier version, and this song
is firmly in the latter camp, so it doesn't meet with universal
approval. On the other hand, some people - including me - liked both
incarnations. I was a huge Blondie fan at the time - even had the
Debbie Harry poster on my bedroom wall - and this was one of my
favourite songs at the time.
+1
Post by Chris Brown
Were Blondie ever really punk? They were more like a Sixties rock act
who formed in the Seventies.
Yes they were in the early years,
but more poppy than the punk with male singers.

Blondie - Detroit 442

Blondie - X Offender

Blondie - Hanging On The Telephone (TopPop)

Only problem with this song is that it is too short.....
(TopPop is the Dutch Top of the Pops)

Blondie - One Way Or Another (TopPop)

Debbie was not famous about her playback synchronity, but who cares?
(guitars without cables?)

But she sure can sing live:
Blondie - Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, 1979 (BBC Four broadcast, 2007)

Also respect for the drummer!

And 11 years ago they did it again in Sydney:
Blondie | Live in Sydney | Full Concert

And again: respect for the drummer!
Listen to the guitar solo in Atomic.....
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
13.    (10)    Genesis    Turn It On Again
Good song. One of my favourites at the time.
Some people would doubtless claim the subject matter was ahead of its
time. They might be tiresome people though.
I was (and am) fan of the Genesis of the 70's.
Selling England & Trick of the Tail.
Went to a concert in Hannover (Germany) in 1981
and Phil said he does not want to play "that old stuff"....
Yehhh....
It took many years before I learned to like this 80's stuff :-)
Top is the Spitting Image video with Reagan, Thatcher and Gorbatshov
(but I forgot which single it was).
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
21.    (15)    Martha And The Muffins    Echo Beach
Classic of the era. And something of a one-hit wonder, at least in the
UK.
More than something - they never charted anything sele, unless you count
the Top 75 hit by M+M.
Wikipedia mentions a 1984 song called "Black Stations/White Stations".
But I didnot know it.
They had no hit in NL.

I discovered Echo Beach at a collect album (is that English?)
of which a piece was cut out.
So I could not play Echo Beach the first minute or so.
I sure hated that collect LP.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
31.    (32)    Rupert Holmes    Him
Unmemorable.
And indeed few people do remember it.
I heard this song again on a CD a few years ago
after I decided to divorce because of "him"......
Sure heard another text now than in the 80's.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
And it was downhill
from there on, even if Rapture was better than its chart peak
suggested. And of course, the band's demise was not far away at this
point. Not that I knew it then, being a huge Blondie fan (did I
mention I had the obligatgory teenage boy poster of Debbie Harry on
the wall?), I felt that this, the final single from Eat to the Beat,
indicated that they were riding the crest of a creative wave and could
do so for some time yet. How little did I know.
It's remarkable how fast they seemed to lose their way, although I don't
know whether the strained relationships between band members affected that.
One of the best 12" ever....

Even when it rains, people have a party with Atomic....

Thank you for this 1980 list !

Rink

Robbie
2017-04-25 14:38:52 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me
Girl
I bought the 12" single at the time. I obviously liked the single but
even by 1980 the track had something of a retro feel to it, it could
have been from 1973 or something like that.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
I was never really keen on this single. And the next one was terrible.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (2) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
This was terrible too. Unbelievably this was a Billboard US Disco hit
before it even charted in the UK despite the group hailing from
Northamptonshire. Then again they had a few entries of the Billboard
Disco chart.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) UB40 King/Food For Thought
'King' was OK but I did like 'Food For Thought'. And I bought the single
on 7".
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
Enjoying something of a late period of success. Dull song though.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
My all time favourite single. I owned this one on double pack 7".
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't Quote
Me On That]
Bought this one too. I only recall the first two tracks.
Post by Chris Brown
8. (13) The Pretenders Talk Of The Town
I never bought this one though I did mean to but just never got around
to it. As it's less played than 'Brass In Pocket' these days I think I
can listen to it more.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
Another act making something of a comeback. Dull.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
Popular in the local youth club disco. OK is suppose.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
A well crafted song but not really my thing. Ironic that a song called
'January February' should enter the charts in March, go top 20 in April
before dropping off the charts in May. I preferred her previous single,
'Caravan Song'.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
One of the big dance numbers at the local youth club even though it's
not the easiest song to dance too. Usually it was us boys who would
dance to this one with the girls usually abandoning the dance floor (the
reverse usually applied to 'Dance Yourself Dizzy').
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Not too bad.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
This has more than a touch of 'You can Do It' by Al Hudson to it.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (9) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
Written by the late great Rod Temperton this is a disco classic and
would end the year at number 2 on the Record Mirror Disco Chart of 1980.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
A group who have always been somewhat overrated, this isn't a very good
song.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (7) The Vapors Turning Japanese
Yes, the song that caused much sniggering at school. The lead singer is
now a solicitor working in the music industry.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (16) Secret Affair My World
Secret Affair were possibly the best of the mod revival groups (if we
ignore The Jam). This is a decent track.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) BA Robertson Kool In The Kaftan
Mr irritant with an irritating song.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A wonderful song. The guitar work by John McGeoch was an improvisation
that got him into the band. At his audition for the band the group
played the track without any guitar and asked McGeoch to come up with a
guitar accompaniment. And this is the recorded version of what he came
up with.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
A wonderful single, my favourite by the band.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (23) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
One of my favourite Squeeze songs and a rare example of one of their
singles featuring a guitar solo.
Post by Chris Brown
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
As I posted once before, although American, Holmes was born in the UK
(in Northwich in Cheshire) to an English mother and US serviceman
father. He moved to the US when very young and David Goldstein (his real
name) decided to adopt a stage name based on the two things he
remembered the most about the UK - Rupert The Bear and Sherlock Holmes.
When he appeared on TOTP singing 'Escape' he looked remarkably like
Steve "love the show" Wright. Bizarrely his first top 20 US hit, in 1971
and called 'Timothy' was about cannibalism! It was a song about three
people being trapped underground in a collapsed mine and two of them eat
the third, poor Timothy. Sounds like a charming song...
Post by Chris Brown
36. (38) Bad Manners Ne-Ne-Na-Na-Na-Na-Nu-Nu
This record had a strange chart run in the lower reaches of the top 40.
Post by Chris Brown
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
I quite liked this one.
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
The album / 12" version is far better than the 7" remix version that was
the main side played on radio.
Post by Chris Brown
51. (NE) Ruts Staring At The Rude Boys
Great song but he lead singer's heroin habit would soon lead to his death.
Post by Chris Brown
58. (74) The Motors Love And Loneliness
This one gained a lot of airplay on Radio 1 but by now they were a
largely forgotten band even though it was less than two years since
'Airport' had been a massive hit. At the time it seemed like an eternity
to me.
Post by Chris Brown
66. (52) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On
Another I owed on 12" and the top disco record in Record Mirror's end of
year Disco chart.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-04-27 21:49:14 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
I reckoned it was about time for another Spring 1980 chart, so here we
are. Coincidentally, one of the songs is from a film that was n the
telly last night.
Elsewhere some familiar early-80s classics, some songs I remember from
TotP repeats and some cover versions of varying usefulness. Also, spot
the guy charting both solo and as a group member.
Playlists here, and quite long thanks to the EPs
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1tyPpDt1ZvtF3mdRhafqwj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqZC8GYPwt2m8xy6nvP3THk
Chart dated 19th April 1990
1. (1) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You/Forgive
Me Girl
I bought the 12" single at the time. I obviously liked the single but
even by 1980 the track had something of a retro feel to it, it could
have been from 1973 or something like that.
Yes, it seems almost out of place in the 80s.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (21) Blondie Call Me
I was never really keen on this single. And the next one was terrible.
I actually do like this one, despite (or because of) the fact that it's
barely a Blondie song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (2) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
This was terrible too. Unbelievably this was a Billboard US Disco hit
before it even charted in the UK despite the group hailing from
Northamptonshire. Then again they had a few entries of the Billboard
Disco chart.
Presumably it was intentionally promoted off the back of the disco success.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (5) UB40 King/Food For Thought
'King' was OK but I did like 'Food For Thought'. And I bought the single
on 7".
I do possess a copy of the 7" too, but as it's tucked into the sleeve of
the album (which of course contains both tracks) I'm not sure I've ever
actually played it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5. (4) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
Enjoying something of a late period of success. Dull song though.
Trying to be a bit funky. Not succeeding.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
My all time favourite single. I owned this one on double pack 7".
Live tracks on the extra disc?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't
Quote Me On That]
Bought this one too. I only recall the first two tracks.
I thought 'Don't Quote Me On That' was the most memorable "other song",
because of the bit where he says "It's all egg, bacon, beans and a fried
slice". I realise I have just defied the song's title in the previous
sentence.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (13) The Pretenders Talk Of The Town
I never bought this one though I did mean to but just never got around
to it. As it's less played than 'Brass In Pocket' these days I think I
can listen to it more.
It has more to it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (19) David Essex Silver Dream Machine
Another act making something of a comeback. Dull.
I guess he was trying to make his way into acting.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (8) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
Popular in the local youth club disco. OK is suppose.
I can imagine that.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
A well crafted song but not really my thing. Ironic that a song called
'January February' should enter the charts in March, go top 20 in April
before dropping off the charts in May. I preferred her previous single,
'Caravan Song'.
The only bit that's not well crafted is an explanation of what January
and February have to do with the song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
One of the big dance numbers at the local youth club even though it's
not the easiest song to dance too. Usually it was us boys who would
dance to this one with the girls usually abandoning the dance floor (the
reverse usually applied to 'Dance Yourself Dizzy').
I can just visualise some lads pogoing to this.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Not too bad.
Possibly the greatest recorded vocal performance by Phil Collins.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) Leon Haywood Don't Push It, Don't Force It
This has more than a touch of 'You can Do It' by Al Hudson to it.
And yet I remember this one better, presumably because it's part of the
80s nostalgia market.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15. (9) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
Written by the late great Rod Temperton this is a disco classic and
would end the year at number 2 on the Record Mirror Disco Chart of 1980.
I can even forgive the grunting solo in the middle.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
A group who have always been somewhat overrated, this isn't a very good
song.
Have they? I know metalheads like them but I can't recall anyone else
talking about them with anything other than derision.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17. (7) The Vapors Turning Japanese
Yes, the song that caused much sniggering at school. The lead singer is
now a solicitor working in the music industry.
Sensible choice of job.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (16) Secret Affair My World
Secret Affair were possibly the best of the mod revival groups (if we
ignore The Jam).
I probably agree.
Post by Robbie
This is a decent track.
Very good production as well.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19. (25) BA Robertson Kool In The Kaftan
Mr irritant with an irritating song.
Why is he so angry about hippies in 1980?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A wonderful song. The guitar work by John McGeoch was an improvisation
that got him into the band. At his audition for the band the group
played the track without any guitar and asked McGeoch to come up with a
guitar accompaniment. And this is the recorded version of what he came
up with.
I think he was the best thing about the band. And might indeed have been
the best thing about any band he was in.
I presume he chose not to be in the video?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
A wonderful single, my favourite by the band.
Between this and 'On My Radio' but this might be less overplayed.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
27. (23) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
One of my favourite Squeeze songs and a rare example of one of their
singles featuring a guitar solo.
Not something that had particularly occurred to me but I think you're
right. 'Some Fantastic Place' and 'Pulling Muscles' do as well.
Apparently the solo on the record was recorded bit-by-bit and cut
together, but Glenn Tilbrook did learn how to play it live.
I was listening to a bunch of Squeeze 45s earlier today (but I don't
actually have this one in that format).
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
31. (32) Rupert Holmes Him
As I posted once before, although American, Holmes was born in the UK
(in Northwich in Cheshire) to an English mother and US serviceman
father. He moved to the US when very young and David Goldstein (his real
name) decided to adopt a stage name based on the two things he
remembered the most about the UK - Rupert The Bear and Sherlock Holmes.
How did he remember Sherlock Holmes, a fictional character who would
have died long before he was born?
Post by Robbie
When he appeared on TOTP singing 'Escape' he looked remarkably like
Steve "love the show" Wright.
I hope he wasn't presenting that week.
Post by Robbie
Bizarrely his first top 20 US hit, in 1971
and called 'Timothy' was about cannibalism! It was a song about three
people being trapped underground in a collapsed mine and two of them eat
the third, poor Timothy. Sounds like a charming song...
And in a country where mine collapses actually happen too (I mean, I
know they have happened in the UK but they seem more common in the US).
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
36. (38) Bad Manners Ne-Ne-Na-Na-Na-Na-Nu-Nu
This record had a strange chart run in the lower reaches of the top 40.
Took a long time to get going.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
44. (73) Billy Joel All For Leyna
I quite liked this one.
I struggle to recall it but at least it's not another ballad.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
46. (41) Blondie Atomic
The album / 12" version is far better than the 7" remix version that was
the main side played on radio.
You have a point.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
51. (NE) Ruts Staring At The Rude Boys
Great song but he lead singer's heroin habit would soon lead to his death.
That old story again.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
58. (74) The Motors Love And Loneliness
This one gained a lot of airplay on Radio 1 but by now they were a
largely forgotten band even though it was less than two years since
'Airport' had been a massive hit. At the time it seemed like an eternity
to me.
It can in some careers.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
66. (52) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On
Another I owed on 12" and the top disco record in Record Mirror's end of
year Disco chart.
Understandably. It's not my favourite track but it does what it does
efficiently.

Chris
Robbie
2017-04-27 23:09:47 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
My all time favourite single. I owned this one on double pack 7".
Live tracks on the extra disc?
Yup, live tracks that were recorded a few months previously when they
were touring the UK
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't
Quote Me On That]
Bought this one too. I only recall the first two tracks.
I thought 'Don't Quote Me On That' was the most memorable "other song",
because of the bit where he says "It's all egg, bacon, beans and a fried
slice". I realise I have just defied the song's title in the previous
sentence.
That one does sound familiar, or at least the line you quoted does.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
A well crafted song but not really my thing. Ironic that a song called
'January February' should enter the charts in March, go top 20 in April
before dropping off the charts in May. I preferred her previous single,
'Caravan Song'.
The only bit that's not well crafted is an explanation of what January
and February have to do with the song.
Yes, they seem shoehorned into the song. Perhaps its because they are
usually the two coldest / harshest months of the year and she's singing
about someone who seems to treat her with harsh, cold, disdain.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
One of the big dance numbers at the local youth club even though it's
not the easiest song to dance too. Usually it was us boys who would
dance to this one with the girls usually abandoning the dance floor (the
reverse usually applied to 'Dance Yourself Dizzy').
I can just visualise some lads pogoing to this.
Most of just about managed to move to it, let alone pogo!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Not too bad.
Possibly the greatest recorded vocal performance by Phil Collins.
Yup, a very good vocal performance.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
A group who have always been somewhat overrated, this isn't a very good
song.
Have they? I know metalheads like them but I can't recall anyone else
talking about them with anything other than derision.
I was thinking along the lines of what metalheads might like. And Sum 41
(as in the lyrics to 'Fat Lip'). I've never really understood what made
them revered as much as they were in the metal community.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A wonderful song. The guitar work by John McGeoch was an improvisation
that got him into the band. At his audition for the band the group
played the track without any guitar and asked McGeoch to come up with a
guitar accompaniment. And this is the recorded version of what he came
up with.
I think he was the best thing about the band. And might indeed have been
the best thing about any band he was in.
I presume he chose not to be in the video?
Possibly he wasn't able to? He may still have been in the process of
leaving Magazine so there could have been contractual problems.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
A wonderful single, my favourite by the band.
Between this and 'On My Radio' but this might be less overplayed.
Whilst I like 'On My Radio' I do think 'Missing Words' is more subtle
and is all the better for it.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-04-28 22:26:58 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (3) The Jam Going Underground/Dreams Of Children
My all time favourite single. I owned this one on double pack 7".
Live tracks on the extra disc?
Yup, live tracks that were recorded a few months previously when they
were touring the UK
I'm not sure I've ever heard those versions. I have the double-pack of
'Beat Surrender' but not this one.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (6) Madness (Work Rest And Play) (EP)
[Night Boat To Cairo; Deceives The Eye; The Young & The Old; Don't
Quote Me On That]
Bought this one too. I only recall the first two tracks.
I thought 'Don't Quote Me On That' was the most memorable "other
song", because of the bit where he says "It's all egg, bacon, beans
and a fried slice". I realise I have just defied the song's title in
the previous sentence.
That one does sound familiar, or at least the line you quoted does.
It's a Chas Smash vocal.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (11) Barbara Dickson January February
A well crafted song but not really my thing. Ironic that a song called
'January February' should enter the charts in March, go top 20 in April
before dropping off the charts in May. I preferred her previous single,
'Caravan Song'.
The only bit that's not well crafted is an explanation of what January
and February have to do with the song.
Yes, they seem shoehorned into the song. Perhaps its because they are
usually the two coldest / harshest months of the year and she's singing
about someone who seems to treat her with harsh, cold, disdain.
Actually, that's a good point.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (29) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
One of the big dance numbers at the local youth club even though it's
not the easiest song to dance too. Usually it was us boys who would
dance to this one with the girls usually abandoning the dance floor (the
reverse usually applied to 'Dance Yourself Dizzy').
I can just visualise some lads pogoing to this.
Most of just about managed to move to it, let alone pogo!
I didn't think pogoing was that difficult. Indeed, I rather thought that
was the point of it.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (10) Genesis Turn It On Again
Not too bad.
Possibly the greatest recorded vocal performance by Phil Collins.
Yup, a very good vocal performance.
Good drumming too.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (12) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
A group who have always been somewhat overrated, this isn't a very good
song.
Have they? I know metalheads like them but I can't recall anyone else
talking about them with anything other than derision.
I was thinking along the lines of what metalheads might like. And Sum 41
(as in the lyrics to 'Fat Lip'). I've never really understood what made
them revered as much as they were in the metal community.
Maybe because they were popular at the same time as Saxon?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (17) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
A wonderful song. The guitar work by John McGeoch was an improvisation
that got him into the band. At his audition for the band the group
played the track without any guitar and asked McGeoch to come up with a
guitar accompaniment. And this is the recorded version of what he came
up with.
I think he was the best thing about the band. And might indeed have
been the best thing about any band he was in.
I presume he chose not to be in the video?
Possibly he wasn't able to? He may still have been in the process of
leaving Magazine so there could have been contractual problems.
That is a possibility actually.
I looked it up and he did do TotP, though he looked quite reluctant.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
26. (30) Selecter Missing Words
A wonderful single, my favourite by the band.
Between this and 'On My Radio' but this might be less overplayed.
Whilst I like 'On My Radio' I do think 'Missing Words' is more subtle
and is all the better for it.
Speaking of TotP, I don't think I'd ever heard 'Whisper' before I saw it
on a repeat there, and I like that one too (though less than these two).

Chris