An old chart from 1997 as far as the eye can see
Chris Brown
2020-12-20 17:43:47 UTC
Perhaps a 1990s Christmas chart isn't the most popular decision I've
made this year but it's a little present to myself. Also, while
everyone's talking about Paul McCartney it seems fitting for him to show
up two weeks running. And another chance for tribute to Adam Schlesinger
who died earlier this year.
In fact I almost posted the previous week's chart last year but I'm
pretty sure I didn't.

Playlists are here. At least a couple of tracks that used to be AWOl
from Spotify are on there now, although we knew one of the Top 3
wouldn't be there. I found an audio-only version of Number 46 on YouTube
first so that's what we've got.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0QV9WoyAC8RuUF0wZackAE?si=yoUywQLvRkew-hI8H7H6og
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpC_FwUbwps8-l3EeaI-tiF

Chart dated: 27th December 1997

1. (NE) Spice Girls Too Much
2. (1) Teletubbies Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh!
3. (2) Various Artists Perfect Day
4. (4) All Saints Never Ever
5. (6) Janet Jackson Together Again
6. (3) Aqua Barbie Girl
7. (5) Robbie Williams Angels
8. (8) Natalie Imbruglia Torn
9. (7) Boyzone Baby Can I Hold You/Shooting Star
10. (NE) Ma$e Feel So Good
11. (10) Elton John Something About The Way You Look Tonight/Candle In
The Wind '97
12. (9) Steven Houghton Wind Beneath My Wings
13. (13) Barbra Streisand & Celine Dion Tell Him
14. (RE) Vanilla No Way No Way
15. (NE) Chicken Shed I Am In Love With The World
16. (11) Celine Dion The Reason
17. (14) Lutricia McNeal Ain't That Just The Way
18. (16) Reds United Sing Up For The Champions!
19. (15) 5ive Slam Dunk (Da Funk)
20. (20) Steps 5,6,7,8
21. (23) Louise Let's Go Round Again
22. (22) Sheryl Crow Tomorrow Never Dies
23. (25) Backstreet Boys As Long As You Love Me
24. (27) Hot Chocolate You Sexy Thing
25. (NE) Paul McCartney Beautiful Night
26. (28) The Seahorses You Can Talk To Me
27. (29) The Verve Lucky Man
28. (31) PF Project ft Ewan McGregor Choose Life
29. (18) Bryan Adams Back To You
30. (19) Propellerheads ft Miss Shirley Bassey History Repeating
31. (30) Gala Let A Boy Cry
32. (NE) Rakim Guess Who's Back
33. (12) U2 If God Will Send His Angels
34. (17) Sting & The Police Roxanne '97
35. (24) Levellers Dog Train
36. (NE) Fountains Of Wayne I Want An Alien For Christmas
37. (34) Spice Girls Spice Up Your Life
38. (NE) Aerosmith Pink
39. (36) Will Smith Just Cruisin'
40. (33) Blackstreet (Money) Can't Buy Me Love

41. (26) Red 5 Lift Me Up
42. (37) Mariah Carey Butterfly
43. (21) Bjork Bachelorette
44. (39) Jamiroquai High Times
45. (38) Powerhouse Rhythm Of The Night
46. (48) The Prodigy Smack My Bitch Up
47. (45) Chumbawamba Tubthumping
48. (44) Sash! Ft La Trec Stay
49. (32) Busta Rhymes Dangerous
50. (46) Hanson I Will Come To You
51. (49) Aaron Carter Crush on You
52. (40) Serious Danger Deeper
53. (35) Chicane Lost You Somewhere
54. (47) Todd Terry pts Shannon It's Over Love
55. (42) Space Brothers Forgiven (I Feel Your Love)
56. (52) Maureen Rees Driving In My Car
57. (NE) Paid & Live ft Lauryn Hill All My Time
58. (54) M People Fantasy Island
59. (56) Woolpackers Line Dance Party
60. (65) Dario G Sunchyme
61. (41) Vanessa-Mae I Feel Love
62. (67) Oasis Stand By Me
63. (43) The Corrs I Never Loved You Anyway
64. (60) N-Trance ft Rod Stewart Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?
65. (50) No Doubt Sunday Morning
66. (58) Shola Ama Who's Loving My baby?
67. (NE) Gant Sound Bwoy Burial/All Night Long
68. (64) Moby James Bond Theme
69. (53) Kylie Minogue Did It Again
70. (51) The Course Best Love
71. (59) Dreem Teem The Theme
72. (57) Beth Orton ft Terry Callier Best Bit EP
[Best Bit; Skimming Stone; Dolphins; Lean On Me]
73. (66) Lightning Seeds What You Say
74. (75) Pulp Help The Aged
75. (71) Eternal Angel of Mine
76. (RE) The Verve The Drugs Don't Work
77. (62) DJ Shadow Camel Bobsled Race
78. (RE) Puff Daddy & The Family Been Around The World
79. (81) The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphony
80. (RE) Peter Andre Lonely
81. (RE) Finley Quaye It's Great When We're Together
82. (RE) Will Smith Men In Black
83. (RE) LL Cool J Phenomenon
84. (82) Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, 112 I'll Be Missing You
85. (68) Counting Crows A Long December
86. (RE) 187 Lockdown Gunman
87. (NE) Chromium Chrome
88. (RE) Double 99 RIPgroove
89. (65) Oasis Wonderwall
90. (89) Oasis Whatever
91. (87) The Prodigy Firestarter
92. (RE) Lighthouse Family Raincloud
93. (84) Indigo Perfect Day
94. (91) Oasis D'You Know What I Mean?
95. (96) Propellerheads with David Arnold On Her Majesty's Secret Service
96. (RE) Oasis Some Might Say
97.(100) The Seahorses Love Me And Leave Me
98. (90) The Prodigy Breathe
99. (RE) Faithless Don't Leave
100.(RE) Roy Davis Jr ft Peven Everett Gabriel

Chris
Vidcapper
2020-12-21 06:59:46 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 27th December 1997
2. (1) Teletubbies Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh!
4. (4) All Saints Never Ever
6. (3) Aqua Barbie Girl
7. (5) Robbie Williams Angels
8. (8) Natalie Imbruglia Torn
11. (10) Elton John Something About The Way You Look Tonight/Candle
In The Wind '97
14. (RE) Vanilla No Way No Way
20. (20) Steps 5,6,7,8
22. (22) Sheryl Crow Tomorrow Never Dies
24. (27) Hot Chocolate You Sexy Thing
47. (45) Chumbawamba Tubthumping
60. (65) Dario G Sunchyme
69. (53) Kylie Minogue Did It Again
79. (81) The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphony
89. (65) Oasis Wonderwall
More than I expected to know, though some I wish I didn't!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2020-12-22 23:44:17 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart dated: 27th December 1997
If I'd known Mariah was going to get to Number One this year, I wouldn't
have done the Christmas 1994 chart last year.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
2.   (1) Teletubbies    Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh!
4.   (4) All Saints    Never Ever
6.   (3) Aqua    Barbie Girl
7.   (5) Robbie Williams    Angels
8.   (8) Natalie Imbruglia    Torn
11. (10) Elton John    Something About The Way You Look Tonight/Candle
In The Wind '97
14. (RE) Vanilla    No Way No Way
20. (20) Steps    5,6,7,8
22. (22) Sheryl Crow    Tomorrow Never Dies
24. (27) Hot Chocolate    You Sexy Thing
47. (45) Chumbawamba    Tubthumping
60. (65) Dario G    Sunchyme
69. (53) Kylie Minogue    Did It Again
79. (81) The Verve    Bitter Sweet Symphony
89. (65) Oasis    Wonderwall
More than I expected to know, though some I wish I didn't!
Ha! I think I can guess which ones you mean, whether or not I agree.

Anyway, time for a bit of other versions fun:

3. (2) Various Artists Perfect Day {version of the Lou Reed song which
had previously been a hit for Duran Duran, etc}
9. (7) Boyzone Baby Can I Hold You {cover of the Tracy Chapman single}
10. (NE) Ma$e Feel So Good {chorus based on 'Bad Boy' by Miami Sound
Machine}
12. (9) Steven Houghton Wind Beneath My Wings {first released by Roger
Whittaker!, also a hit for Bette Midler and Bill Tarmey}
14. (RE) Vanilla No Way No Way {samples 'Mah Nà Mah Nà'}
21. (23) Louise Let's Go Round Again {cover of the Average White Band hit}
24. (27) Hot Chocolate You Sexy Thing {also charted for Clock and
T-Shirt in 1997 alone}
28. (31) PF Project ft Ewan McGregor Choose Life {samples dialogue from
the film Trainspotting}
34. (17) Sting & The Police Roxanne '97 {remix of the original, also
samples 'Roxanne, Roxanne'}
40. (33) Blackstreet (Money) Can't Buy Me Love {cover of the Beatles hit}
45. (38) Powerhouse Rhythm Of The Night {cover of the Debarge hit}
51. (49) Aaron Carter Crush on You {cover of the Jets hit, later a hit
for Nero}
56. (52) Maureen Rees Driving In My Car {cover of the Madness hit}
57. (NE) Paid & Live ft Lauryn Hill All My Time {samples 'Too Hot' by
Kool & The Gang}
60. (65) Dario G Sunchyme {samples 'Life In A Northern Town'}
61. (41) Vanessa-Mae I Feel Love {cover of the Donna Summer hit}
64. (60) N-Trance ft Rod Stewart Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? {samples the
original Rod Stewart track, song also charted for The Revolting Cocks
and The Girls Of FHM}
68. (64) Moby James Bond Theme
72. (57) Beth Orton ft Terry Callier Best Bit EP
[Dolphins; Lean On Me] {covers of songs by Fred Neil and Terry Callier
respectively}
75. (71) Eternal Angel of Mine {later covered by Monica}
77. (62) DJ Shadow Camel Bobsled Race {megamix of DJ Shadow tracks which
include some samples already}
78. (RE) Puff Daddy & The Family Been Around The World {samples David
Bowie's 'Let's Dance' and uses the chorus from Lisa Stansfield's 'All
Around The World'}
79. (81) The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphony {we all know about this sample}
82. (RE) Will Smith Men In Black {samples 'Forget-Me-Nots'}
83. (RE) LL Cool J Phenomenon {based on 'Who Is He What Is He To You' by
Bill Withers and uses the chorus from 'White Lines'}
84. (82) Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, 112 I'll Be Missing You {samples
'Every Breath You Take', of course}
88. (RE) Double 99 RIPgroove {many samples, including Tina Moore's
'Never Gonna Let You Go'}
89. (65) Oasis Wonderwall {also a hit for Mike Flowers Pops and Ryan Adams}
90. (89) Oasis Whatever {plagiarises 'How Sweet To Be An Idiot'}
93. (84) Indigo Perfect Day {version of the Lou Reed song which had
previously been a hit for Duran Duran, etc and is also covered by
Various Artists in this chart}
95. (96) Propellerheads with David Arnold On Her Majesty's Secret
Service {cover of the instrumental theme from the James Bond film of the
same name}

Chris