You can dance, you can jive, you can look at an old chart from 1976
Chris Brown
2017-09-17 11:44:59 UTC
Coincidentally, a member of Can died a couple of weeks ago, just in time
for the anniversary of their one appearance in the UK chart.
Elsewhere we get a few iconic tracks of the era, a lot of completely
forgotten tracks, the alleged first punk tracks in the chart and Bryan
Ferry's karaoke night.

Spotify is here, YouTube to follow
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0H5KWDItTwjniShmyYzvlO

chart dated 18th September 1976

1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
4. (8) Georghe Zamfir (Light Of Experience) Doina De Jale
5. (17) Mr Acker Bilk Aria
6. (2) Wings Let 'Em In
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
8. (3) The Chi-Lites You Don't Have To Go
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
13. (22) Tina Charles Dance Little Lady Dance
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
15. (15) Barry White Baby We Better Try And Get It Together
16. (9) Billie Jo Spears What I've Got In Mind
17. (11) Bryan Ferry Extended Play
[Price Of Love; Shame Shame Shame; Heart On My Sleeve; It's Only Love]
18. (20) Cliff Richard I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You Babe
19. (19) Twiggy Here I Go Again
20. (33) Jesse Green Nice And Slow
21. (10) Lou Rawls You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
24. (12) Dr Hook A Little Bit More
25. (28) Hot Chocolate Heaven Is In The Back Seat Of My Cadillac
26. (45) Kiki Dee Loving And Free
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
28. (29) Tommy Hunt Loving On The Losing Side
29. (38) Elvis Presley Girl Of My Best Friend
30. (18) Johnny Wakelin In Zaire
31. (16) 5000 Volts Dr Kiss Kiss
32. (27) Judge Dread Y Viva Suspenders
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
34. (NE) Rick Dees And His Cast Of Idiots Disco Duck
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
36. (32) Henry Gross Shannon
37. (NE) The Ritchie Family The Best Disco In Town
38. (41) Barry Biggs Work All Day
39. (35) Can I Want More
40. (26) Tavares Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel
41. (47) The Drifters Every Nite's A Saturday Night With You
42. (39) Johnny 'Guitar' Watson I Need It
43. (NE) Candi Staton Destiny
44. (48) Peter Frampton Baby I Love Your Way
45. (49) Detroit Spinners The Rubberband Man
46. (46) Eddie and the Hot Rods Live At The Marquee
[96 Tears; Get Out Of Denver; Gloria-Satisfaction]
47. (43) Gallagher And Lyle Breakaway
48. (50) J.A.L.N. Band Disco Music (I Like It)
49. (NE) James Brown Get Up Offa That Thing
50. (NE) Randy Edelman Uptown, Uptempo Woman

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-09-17 13:38:35 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
chart dated 18th September 1976
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
Probably their best known song
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Novelty
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The only others I remember offhand
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2017-09-17 21:32:25 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
chart dated 18th September 1976
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
Probably their best known song
Worldwide it certainly is. Apparently also the Queen's favourite Abba song.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Novelty
Well spotted.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The only others I remember offhand
I presume that doesn't include 'Double Trouble'?

My guess at songs you might know other versions of:
'96 Tears'
'Y Viva Suspenders' [or rather the song it's based on]

However, 'It's Only Love' is one of the most obscure Beatles songs so I
didn't include that.

Chris
Chris Brown
2017-09-17 22:27:28 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Coincidentally, a member of Can died a couple of weeks ago, just in time
for the anniversary of their one appearance in the UK chart.
Elsewhere we get a few iconic tracks of the era, a lot of completely
forgotten tracks, the alleged first punk tracks in the chart and Bryan
Ferry's karaoke night.
Spotify is here, YouTube to follow
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0H5KWDItTwjniShmyYzvlO
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoF04Jj57PYP_nGiU6ha9-b
Apparently it features an "uncut video" of the Starland Vocal Band song.
The mind boggles.

Chris
Robbie
2017-09-18 14:07:05 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Coincidentally, a member of Can died a couple of weeks ago, just in time
for the anniversary of their one appearance in the UK chart.
Elsewhere we get a few iconic tracks of the era, a lot of completely
forgotten tracks, the alleged first punk tracks in the chart and Bryan
Ferry's karaoke night.
Hoping this gets through OK but I'm still having problems viewing posts
though eternal-september itself seems to have sorted out its server
problems.
Post by Chris Brown
Spotify is here, YouTube to follow
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0H5KWDItTwjniShmyYzvlO
chart dated 18th September 1976
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
I bought this at the time. My aunt asked me if I knew what the song (at
least in part) was about and she was surprised when I aid yes. Even for
Rod Stewart this was quite a brave subject at the time to write about.
It's still a good song.
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
Slightly less annoying than their number 1.
Post by Chris Brown
4. (8) Georghe Zamfir (Light Of Experience) Doina De Jale
5. (17) Mr Acker Bilk Aria
Two instrumentals in the top 5 and both seemed out of place as late as 1976.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (2) Wings Let 'Em In
The second of their two number 2 hits of 1976. Decent song.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) The Chi-Lites You Don't Have To Go
And another soul group who seemed to do well in the UK. I remember this
one being featured on The Old Grey Whistle Test of all programmes, with
a cartoon video to accompany it. They did that sometimes with pop songs
on the programme.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green reference,
for those who don't know).
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
They (or their management) really were running out of ideas now.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Great Springsteen song with great vocals by Chris Thompson.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
On its way to the top. Another I hated at the time but can sort of
listen to now in a nostalgic way.
Post by Chris Brown
13. (22) Tina Charles Dance Little Lady Dance
Not the best disco song around.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
I had bought this one a few weeks earlier. Now I just find it annoying.
Post by Chris Brown
15. (15) Barry White Baby We Better Try And Get It Together
Most of his songs sound the same, and this one was more anonymous than most.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (9) Billie Jo Spears What I've Got In Mind
Still trying to find somewhere to lay that blanket on the ground.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (11) Bryan Ferry Extended Play
[Price Of Love; Shame Shame Shame; Heart On My Sleeve; It's Only Love]
Bryan always looked cool. Except in 1976 when he had that awful moustache.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (20) Cliff Richard I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You Babe
One of his lesser known hits. And with good reason, as its bland.
Post by Chris Brown
19. (19) Twiggy Here I Go Again
Her modelling career was all but at an end and she decided to move into
music. Bland country song though.
Post by Chris Brown
20. (33) Jesse Green Nice And Slow
I think this one was selling mostly for the instrumental version on the
B side.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
Casey Kasem once revealed that this was his all time favourite record.
Zoiks!
Post by Chris Brown
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
Post by Chris Brown
24. (12) Dr Hook A Little Bit More
Another I bought. It was also the first number 1 on my own personal top
40 that I used to compile most weeks from August 1976 to around October
/ November 1979.
Post by Chris Brown
26. (45) Kiki Dee Loving And Free
Technically an EP. Features her wonderful 1973 hit 'Amoureuse'
Post by Chris Brown
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
One of those spring / summer hits from 1976 that had a strange chart run
due to the change in the chart week and the subsequent strange effect
TOTP had on the charts in that period.
Post by Chris Brown
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
YouTube features a German TV performance of this song which features a
blonde who seems to think the song is called 'Jeans (and everything
else) Off'. It's certainly different to the Top Of the Pops performance!
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
Post by Chris Brown
36. (32) Henry Gross Shannon
A song about a dog. A dead dog. Which led to the aforementioned Casey
Kasem having a meltdown in 1985 during the recording of his weekly
American Top 40 programme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_(song)
Post by Chris Brown
37. (NE) The Ritchie Family The Best Disco In Town
I bought this too. One of the last records Ruby Flipper danced to on TOTP.

STAR BREAKERS

b01 (b04) UNDER ONE ROOF - Rubettes (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 47)
b02 (b01) LET'S FALL IN LOVE - Robin Sarstedt
b03 (b07) THAT'LL BE THE DAY - Linda Ronstadt
b04 (NEW) I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT - England Dan/John Ford
Coley (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 48)
b05 (NEW) THIS TIME I'LL BE SWEETER - Linda Lewis (Arista ARIST 65)
b06 (b06) BABY BOY - Fred Hughes
b07 (NEW) BENNY & THE JETS - Elton John (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 49)
b08 (RE) IF ONLY FOR THE GOOD TIMES - Guys & Dolls
b09 (b10) HARD WORK - John Handy
b10 (NEW) HOWZAT - Sherbet (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 45)

Not the most inspiring of breaking hits...
Chris
Col
2017-09-18 17:55:57 UTC
Post by Robbie
9.    (23)    The Wurzels    I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green reference,
for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much to
drik and falls asleep outside his windmill.
Imagine something like today in a programme aimed at young children.
Post by Robbie
10.    (25)    Bay City Rollers    I Only Wanna Be With You
They (or their management) really were running out of ideas now.
How many ideas did they ever seriously have, though?
Post by Robbie
33.    (24)    David Dundas    Jeans On
YouTube features a German TV performance of this song which features a
blonde who seems to think the song is called 'Jeans (and everything
else) Off'. It's certainly different to the Top Of the Pops performance!
I know I've mentioned this before but David Dundas used to post to one
of the other groups I post to under the name 'David the Twat'.
Not a bad novelty song.
Post by Robbie
35.    (44)    Lynyrd Skynyrd    Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
One of those tracks I have known for a long time but never knew who
actually performed it.
Col
Robbie
2017-09-18 19:52:16 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green
reference, for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much to
drik and falls asleep outside his windmill.
Imagine something like today in a programme aimed at young children.

Yup, things were certainly different back then!
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
They (or their management) really were running out of ideas now.
How many ideas did they ever seriously have, though?
Not many really though I quite like 'Summerlove Sensation' and 'Saturday
Night'. Strangely, as their career was declining in the UK it started
doing well in the US.
Was he a twat or did he just have a daft poster name?
Col
2017-09-19 18:20:53 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Col
I know I've mentioned this before but David Dundas used to post to one
of the other groups I post to under the name 'David the Twat'.
Not a bad novelty song.
Was he a twat or did he just have a daft poster name?
He was certainly a wind-up merchant but I had no particular problem with
him. Others considered him little more than a troll, though.
Col
Rink
2021-05-23 11:45:44 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green
reference, for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much
to drik and falls asleep outside his windmill. Imagine something
like today in a programme aimed at young children.
http://youtu.be/d27hPy38EyI
Yup, things were certainly different back then!
Never seen before (I'm not British)

It is a bad designed windmill.
If it works, you cannot go inside.......

And who closed the door between 1:25 and 1:28?

:-)

Rink
Chris Brown
2017-09-18 22:32:42 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green
reference, for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much to
drik and falls asleep outside his windmill.
Imagine something like today in a programme aimed at young children.
I suppose it would have to be played as a moral message.
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
They (or their management) really were running out of ideas now.
How many ideas did they ever seriously have, though?
Covering this song is a classic desperation move.
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
YouTube features a German TV performance of this song which features a
blonde who seems to think the song is called 'Jeans (and everything
else) Off'. It's certainly different to the Top Of the Pops performance!
I know I've mentioned this before but David Dundas used to post to one
of the other groups I post to under the name 'David the Twat'.
Not a bad novelty song.
Do you think of it as a novelty song? I would just have said it was sort
of silly.
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter
song, was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August
1976. And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
One of those tracks I have known for a long time but never knew who
actually performed it.
It's one of those songs guitarists think they can play, isn't it?

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-09-19 06:38:44 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green
reference, for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much to
drik and falls asleep outside his windmill.
Imagine something like today in a programme aimed at young children.
I'm more surprised a storyline like that appeared back then, than I
would be now.

I remember being nervous every time he dodged past the windmill blades. :p
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
They (or their management) really were running out of ideas now.
How many ideas did they ever seriously have, though?
LOL!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Col
2017-09-19 18:38:04 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Col
Post by Robbie
9.    (23)    The Wurzels    I Am A Cider Drinker
Much loved by Windy Miller I would imagine (Camberwick Green
reference, for those who don't know).
I assume you are referring to the episode where Windy has too much to
drik and falls asleep outside his windmill.
Imagine something like today in a programme aimed at young children.
I'm more surprised a storyline like that appeared back then, than I
would be now.
It was done in a very gentle manner of course. The cider just made him
sleepy rather than visibly drunk. It must have been pretty potent stuff
though to knock him out like that, or perhaps Windy just can't take his
ale?
And he offers some to the van driver! Luckily he declines, we don't want
any drink driving in Camberwick Green!
Post by Vidcapper
I remember being nervous every time he dodged past the windmill blades. :p
Same here, H&S would have a bloody field day with that today.
The sound of the blades I always found strangely hypnotic....
Col
Chris Brown
2017-10-01 18:56:49 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Coincidentally, a member of Can died a couple of weeks ago, just in
time for the anniversary of their one appearance in the UK chart.
Elsewhere we get a few iconic tracks of the era, a lot of completely
forgotten tracks, the alleged first punk tracks in the chart and Bryan
Ferry's karaoke night.
Hoping this gets through OK but I'm still having problems viewing posts
though eternal-september itself seems to have sorted out its server
problems.
As you probably know by now it did get through.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Spotify is here, YouTube to follow
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0H5KWDItTwjniShmyYzvlO
chart dated 18th September 1976
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
It's not a favourite of mine, not even my favourite Abba track, but I
can see they did a good job of creating a disco-pop song.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
I bought this at the time. My aunt asked me if I knew what the song (at
least in part) was about and she was surprised when I aid yes. Even for
Rod Stewart this was quite a brave subject at the time to write about.
It's still a good song.
And almost incidentally it's brave to put out a six-minute two-part song
as a single.
Amazing how lazy he became after writing this.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
Slightly less annoying than their number 1.
Less overplayed at any rate.
Also, the intro sounds a bit like the theme from Hill St Blues (or
vice-versa, I suppose).
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4. (8) Georghe Zamfir (Light Of Experience) Doina De Jale
5. (17) Mr Acker Bilk Aria
Two instrumentals in the top 5 and both seemed out of place as late as 1976.
Yeah, they both seems like they'd have fitted more into 1960 than 1976.
I suppose it's the equivalent of two nu-metal bands having big hits now.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6. (2) Wings Let 'Em In
The second of their two number 2 hits of 1976. Decent song.
I think this is the sort of thing Ian McDonald had in mind when he
referred to Paul McCartney's "fatuous virtuosity".
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Just as well there weren't any more bars.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8. (3) The Chi-Lites You Don't Have To Go
And another soul group who seemed to do well in the UK. I remember this
one being featured on The Old Grey Whistle Test of all programmes, with
a cartoon video to accompany it. They did that sometimes with pop songs
on the programme.
Yeah, I vaguely recall Q magazine about 20 years ago having a feature
about the guy who put those videos together.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Great Springsteen song with great vocals by Chris Thompson.
Though as I said, he doesn't seem to understand what the lyrics are
about - or possibly even what they are, in the case of "revved up like a
douche".
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
On its way to the top. Another I hated at the time but can sort of
listen to now in a nostalgic way.
I suppose it's another one that was nostalgic at the time, seems quite a
trend in this chart.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (22) Tina Charles Dance Little Lady Dance
Not the best disco song around.
No, it's all "can you write a follow-up single in 10 minutes".
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
I had bought this one a few weeks earlier. Now I just find it annoying.
Don't worry he's releasing another Greatest Hits album soon.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15. (15) Barry White Baby We Better Try And Get It Together
Most of his songs sound the same, and this one was more anonymous than most.
I suppose it's a bit like a pastiche.
Post by Chris Brown
17. (11) Bryan Ferry Extended Play
[Price Of Love; Shame Shame Shame; Heart On My Sleeve; It's Only Love]
Bryan always looked cool. Except in 1976 when he had that awful moustache.
Maybe he liked the Nazis' moustaches as well as their other designs.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (20) Cliff Richard I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You Babe
One of his lesser known hits. And with good reason, as its bland.
Not as bad as I expected, TBF.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
19. (19) Twiggy Here I Go Again
Her modelling career was all but at an end and she decided to move into
music. Bland country song though.
Apparently got some surprisingly good reviews at the time.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (33) Jesse Green Nice And Slow
I think this one was selling mostly for the instrumental version on the
B side.
Was his voice that bad?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
Casey Kasem once revealed that this was his all time favourite record.
Zoiks!
Is that why it's in the Anchorman films?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
The power of reality TV.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
24. (12) Dr Hook A Little Bit More
Another I bought. It was also the first number 1 on my own personal top
40 that I used to compile most weeks from August 1976 to around October
/ November 1979.
Hasn't aged well.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
26. (45) Kiki Dee Loving And Free
Technically an EP. Features her wonderful 1973 hit 'Amoureuse'
Good package.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
YouTube features a German TV performance of this song which features a
blonde who seems to think the song is called 'Jeans (and everything
else) Off'. It's certainly different to the Top Of the Pops performance!
No wonder he can't concentrate on miming!
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
I did wonder why the credits for this were so inconsistent.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
36. (32) Henry Gross Shannon
A song about a dog. A dead dog. Which led to the aforementioned Casey
Kasem having a meltdown in 1985 during the recording of his weekly
American Top 40 programme
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_(song)
I think I heard that on YouTube. Did it get taken down?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
37. (NE) The Ritchie Family The Best Disco In Town
I bought this too. One of the last records Ruby Flipper danced to on TOTP.
It sounds like it belongs in 1981 with the medleys doesn't it?
Post by Robbie
STAR BREAKERS
b01 (b04) UNDER ONE ROOF - Rubettes (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 47)
Well, this isn't what I expected the Rubettes to sound like.
Post by Robbie
b03 (b07) THAT'LL BE THE DAY - Linda Ronstadt
Unnecessary cover version.
Post by Robbie
b04 (NEW) I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT - England Dan/John Ford
Coley (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 48)
England Dan wasn't really from England you know.
Post by Robbie
b05 (NEW) THIS TIME I'LL BE SWEETER - Linda Lewis (Arista ARIST 65)
Nice enough song.
Post by Robbie
b07 (NEW) BENNY & THE JETS - Elton John (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 49)
One of the better songs in these breakers, but I'm not sure why it was
coming out two years after the album. And four years after Ziggy
Stadust, I suppose.
Post by Robbie
b09 (b10) HARD WORK - John Handy
I recognise this from an advert many years later.
Post by Robbie
b10 (NEW) HOWZAT - Sherbet (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 45)
A successful act in Australia but only the one hit over here. I suppose
the cricket theme attracted attention.
Post by Robbie
Not the most inspiring of breaking hits...
Not a lot worse than the inside of the Top 50 though.

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-10-02 06:38:25 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Great Springsteen song
I didn't know that?

Post by Chris Brown
Though as I said, he doesn't seem to understand what the lyrics are
about - or possibly even what they are, in the case of "revved up like a
douche".
He's not alone, then!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
I had bought this one a few weeks earlier. Now I just find it annoying.
Don't worry he's releasing another Greatest Hits album soon.
Has he even *had* any more its since the last one?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (20) Cliff Richard I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You Babe
One of his lesser known hits. And with good reason, as its bland.
Along with virtually all the others after his rock & roll era.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
The power of reality TV.
Which didn't even exist then!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'.
Rightly so.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Robbie
2017-10-02 11:42:41 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
18. (20) Cliff Richard I Can't Ask For Anything More Than You Babe
One of his lesser known hits. And with good reason, as its bland.
Along with virtually all the others after his rock & roll era.
It's also dwarfed by his two other top 20 hits from 1976, 'Miss You
Nights' and 'Devil Woman' both of which are considerably better known
and which are much better songs.

------
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-10-02 18:58:49 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Great Springsteen song
I didn't know that?
Yep, it's the opening track on his first album. However, tat album
didn't chart in the UK until 1985 (and I don't think it charted in the
US initially either).
Post by Chris Brown
Though as I said, he doesn't seem to understand what the lyrics are
about - or possibly even what they are, in the case of "revved up like a
douche".
He's not alone, then!
It's supposed to be "revved up like a deuce".
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
I had bought this one a few weeks earlier. Now I just find it annoying.
Don't worry he's releasing another Greatest Hits album soon.
Has he even *had* any more its since the last one?
The last one was in 2007, and his only Top 40 hit since then was 'Tiny
Dancer (Hold Me Closer)' with Ironik and Chipmunk. Which is
unsurprisingly not on there though the original version is.
However there are a couple of non-hit inclusions from his more recent
albums.

Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
The power of reality TV.
Which didn't even exist then!
I don't think the terminology did, but this was popularised by what
would then have been called a "fly on the wall" documentary.

Chris
Vidcapper
2017-10-03 06:38:35 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Though as I said, he doesn't seem to understand what the lyrics are
about - or possibly even what they are, in the case of "revved up like a
douche".
He's not alone, then!
It's supposed to be "revved up like a deuce".
That doesn't make any more sense than the other version.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
The power of reality TV.
Which didn't even exist then!
I don't think the terminology did,
Exactly!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2017-10-03 20:07:47 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Though as I said, he doesn't seem to understand what the lyrics are
about - or possibly even what they are, in the case of "revved up like a
douche".
He's not alone, then!
It's supposed to be "revved up like a deuce".
That doesn't make any more sense than the other version.
Perhaps it's a "Deuce" as in the car.
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
As if we didn't have enough of this record in 1975...
The power of reality TV.
Which didn't even exist then!
I don't think the terminology did,
Exactly!
But by that logic it's impossible to talk about anything before the
English language.

Chris
Robbie
2017-10-02 12:26:01 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Hoping this gets through OK but I'm still having problems viewing posts
though eternal-september itself seems to have sorted out its server
problems.
As you probably know by now it did get through.
Yup, and all the problems I was also having with Thunderbird seem to
have cleared up too.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
It's not a favourite of mine, not even my favourite Abba track, but I
can see they did a good job of creating a disco-pop song.
And they were one of the first white pop acts to do so. They weren't the
first though, even Mud had beaten them to recording a disco pop song in
1976.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
I bought this at the time. My aunt asked me if I knew what the song (at
least in part) was about and she was surprised when I aid yes. Even for
Rod Stewart this was quite a brave subject at the time to write about.
It's still a good song.
And almost incidentally it's brave to put out a six-minute two-part song
as a single.
Amazing how lazy he became after writing this.
It's probably no coincidence that it was around this time that he had
more or less settled in the US and the money was now rolling in.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
Slightly less annoying than their number 1.
Less overplayed at any rate.
Also, the intro sounds a bit like the theme from Hill St Blues (or
vice-versa, I suppose).
Yes, I had noticed that the Hill Street Blues them has a similarity with
the intro to this record. Maybe Mike Post was a secret Real Thing fan?
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Just as well there weren't any more bars.
There were, for their management! They got locked up behind them in 1977
for tax evasion in the US and that was the end of the group as a chart
force.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
On its way to the top. Another I hated at the time but can sort of
listen to now in a nostalgic way.
I suppose it's another one that was nostalgic at the time, seems quite a
trend in this chart.
1974 - 1976 seems to have been a very backward looking, almost nostalgia
inducing, time for the charts.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (33) Jesse Green Nice And Slow
I think this one was selling mostly for the instrumental version on the
B side.
Was his voice that bad?
Hehe! I've just checked both discogs and 45cat and the instrumental
version was in fact the A side, the vocal version had been released
earlier in the year but was relegated to the B side of this release.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
24. (12) Dr Hook A Little Bit More
Another I bought. It was also the first number 1 on my own personal top
40 that I used to compile most weeks from August 1976 to around October
/ November 1979.
Hasn't aged well.
It's a bit corny sounding but it's another that reminds me of the summer
of '76.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
I did wonder why the credits for this were so inconsistent.
Not helped by the fact that Freebird started life as the sole track on
the B side of this 1976 release but on the 1979 re-issue it was promoted
to being the sole track on the A side.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
STAR BREAKERS
b01 (b04) UNDER ONE ROOF - Rubettes (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 47)
Well, this isn't what I expected the Rubettes to sound like.
They were trying to shake off their poppy image and were certainly
moving in a different direction with this song which had quite daring
lyrics for 1976. At least the Sparks brothers remember them from their
poppy days, a few weeks ago while being interviewed about their new
album they recalled 'This Town...' being kept from the top by 'Sugar
Baby Love' and one of the brothers quipped "a least we've outlasted them!"
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b03 (b07) THAT'LL BE THE DAY - Linda Ronstadt
Unnecessary cover version.
That just about sums up much of Linda's recording career.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b04 (NEW) I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT - England Dan/John Ford
Coley (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 48)
England Dan wasn't really from England you know.
Strangely, the one thing I recall about their interview in Record Mirror
in October 1976 was this being pointed out!
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b07 (NEW) BENNY & THE JETS - Elton John (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 49)
One of the better songs in these breakers, but I'm not sure why it was
coming out two years after the album. And four years after Ziggy
Stadust, I suppose.
It was an old record label (DJM) cash-in. DJM re-released all of his
back catalogue they held the rights to and this one caught on, mainly
because the A and B sides of the original 1974 single release were
swapped with 'Candle In The Wind' relegated to the B side.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b10 (NEW) HOWZAT - Sherbet (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 45)
A successful act in Australia but only the one hit over here. I suppose
the cricket theme attracted attention.
If anyone can be called looking like a typical Australian, or at least
looking like an Aussie from back in the 1970s, it is the lead singer.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
--
------
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-10-02 22:42:59 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Hoping this gets through OK but I'm still having problems viewing posts
though eternal-september itself seems to have sorted out its server
problems.
As you probably know by now it did get through.
Yup, and all the problems I was also having with Thunderbird seem to
have cleared up too.
I somehow escaped those, but good to know.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
It's not a favourite of mine, not even my favourite Abba track, but I
can see they did a good job of creating a disco-pop song.
And they were one of the first white pop acts to do so. They weren't the
first though, even Mud had beaten them to recording a disco pop song in
1976.
Would 'Golden Years' count as disco?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
I bought this at the time. My aunt asked me if I knew what the song (at
least in part) was about and she was surprised when I aid yes. Even for
Rod Stewart this was quite a brave subject at the time to write about.
It's still a good song.
And almost incidentally it's brave to put out a six-minute two-part
song as a single.
Amazing how lazy he became after writing this.
It's probably no coincidence that it was around this time that he had
more or less settled in the US and the money was now rolling in.
Yeah, I suppose he had already released some pretty dire material by now
but he almost seemed to give up on writing songs at all.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
Slightly less annoying than their number 1.
Less overplayed at any rate.
Also, the intro sounds a bit like the theme from Hill St Blues (or
vice-versa, I suppose).
Yes, I had noticed that the Hill Street Blues them has a similarity with
the intro to this record. Maybe Mike Post was a secret Real Thing fan?
I wonder if they ever noticed?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Just as well there weren't any more bars.
There were, for their management! They got locked up behind them in 1977
for tax evasion in the US and that was the end of the group as a chart
force.
Were the band themselves ever implicated?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
On its way to the top. Another I hated at the time but can sort of
listen to now in a nostalgic way.
I suppose it's another one that was nostalgic at the time, seems quite
a trend in this chart.
1974 - 1976 seems to have been a very backward looking, almost nostalgia
inducing, time for the charts.
Well, from what I've heard the mid-seventies were a pretty crappy time
in Britain.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
20. (33) Jesse Green Nice And Slow
I think this one was selling mostly for the instrumental version on the
B side.
Was his voice that bad?
Hehe! I've just checked both discogs and 45cat and the instrumental
version was in fact the A side, the vocal version had been released
earlier in the year but was relegated to the B side of this release.
Interesting.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
24. (12) Dr Hook A Little Bit More
Another I bought. It was also the first number 1 on my own personal top
40 that I used to compile most weeks from August 1976 to around October
/ November 1979.
Hasn't aged well.
It's a bit corny sounding but it's another that reminds me of the summer
of '76.
I think it's more his insistence in forcing himself on her.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
I did wonder why the credits for this were so inconsistent.
Not helped by the fact that Freebird started life as the sole track on
the B side of this 1976 release but on the 1979 re-issue it was promoted
to being the sole track on the A side.
Was it an edit?
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
STAR BREAKERS
b01 (b04) UNDER ONE ROOF - Rubettes (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 47)
Well, this isn't what I expected the Rubettes to sound like.
They were trying to shake off their poppy image and were certainly
moving in a different direction with this song which had quite daring
lyrics for 1976. At least the Sparks brothers remember them from their
poppy days, a few weeks ago while being interviewed about their new
album they recalled 'This Town...' being kept from the top by 'Sugar
Baby Love' and one of the brothers quipped "a least we've outlasted them!"
Certainly in terms of drumming up interest in new material. I'm sure
there's a version of the Rubettes touring somewhere.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b03 (b07) THAT'LL BE THE DAY - Linda Ronstadt
Unnecessary cover version.
That just about sums up much of Linda's recording career.
Still sad she can't do it any more.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b04 (NEW) I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT - England Dan/John Ford
Coley (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 48)
England Dan wasn't really from England you know.
Strangely, the one thing I recall about their interview in Record Mirror
in October 1976 was this being pointed out!
His brother was one of Seals & Crofts.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b07 (NEW) BENNY & THE JETS - Elton John (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 49)
One of the better songs in these breakers, but I'm not sure why it was
coming out two years after the album. And four years after Ziggy
Stadust, I suppose.
It was an old record label (DJM) cash-in. DJM re-released all of his
back catalogue they held the rights to and this one caught on, mainly
because the A and B sides of the original 1974 single release were
swapped with 'Candle In The Wind' relegated to the B side.
Oh this makes some sense. I know it was a big hit in the US.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
b10 (NEW) HOWZAT - Sherbet (Chart Entry 25-Sep-1976 at No. 45)
A successful act in Australia but only the one hit over here. I
suppose the cricket theme attracted attention.
If anyone can be called looking like a typical Australian, or at least
looking like an Aussie from back in the 1970s, it is the lead singer.
He seemed to fit in OK.

Chris
Robbie
2017-10-03 08:04:02 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
It's not a favourite of mine, not even my favourite Abba track, but I
can see they did a good job of creating a disco-pop song.
And they were one of the first white pop acts to do so. They weren't the
first though, even Mud had beaten them to recording a disco pop song in
1976.
Would 'Golden Years' count as disco?
Hmmm... debatable. It certainly has elements of disco in there though.
Mid 70s pop-soul with a touch of disco probably sums up the song.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Just as well there weren't any more bars.
There were, for their management! They got locked up behind them in 1977
for tax evasion in the US and that was the end of the group as a chart
force.
Were the band themselves ever implicated?
Not that I'm aware of. They switched labels and released some singles in
1978 to little interest.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
On its way to the top. Another I hated at the time but can sort of
listen to now in a nostalgic way.
I suppose it's another one that was nostalgic at the time, seems quite
a trend in this chart.
1974 - 1976 seems to have been a very backward looking, almost nostalgia
inducing, time for the charts.
Well, from what I've heard the mid-seventies were a pretty crappy time
in Britain.
I think the two hot summers of 1975 and 1976 induce a rose coloured view
of the time from some. But I can remember the news from October 1975
when unemployment was announced as having gone above 1 million for the
first time since the 1930s. Plus many people in work were working on
short time (i.e. factories weren't working 5 or 6 days a week), a
concept that doesn't really exist these days with more flexible work
contracts. And of course the unions were bringing people out on strike
for relatively minor things. And don't forget inflation of over 20%! All
in all, Britain wasn't in god shape back then.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
I did wonder why the credits for this were so inconsistent.
Not helped by the fact that Freebird started life as the sole track on
the B side of this 1976 release but on the 1979 re-issue it was promoted
to being the sole track on the A side.
Was it an edit?
The 1979 7" had the full version of 'Freebird' on the A side so I'm
guessing it was the same when it wa the B side on the 1976 original.
Post by Chris Brown
Chris
--
------
Robbie
Chris Brown
2017-10-03 20:33:45 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
I disliked this at the time and I'm still not overly keen on this now
but I can now appreciate how well it is put together. I posted a while
back that this getting to the top coincided with the end of the glorious
summer of 1976 - the week it reached number 1 the heavens opened.
It's not a favourite of mine, not even my favourite Abba track, but I
can see they did a good job of creating a disco-pop song.
And they were one of the first white pop acts to do so. They weren't the
first though, even Mud had beaten them to recording a disco pop song in
1976.
Would 'Golden Years' count as disco?
Hmmm... debatable. It certainly has elements of disco in there though.
Mid 70s pop-soul with a touch of disco probably sums up the song.
'John I'm Only Dancing Again' is much closer to disco of course, but
he'd yet to release it at this point.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
They just seemed to get worse...
Just as well there weren't any more bars.
There were, for their management! They got locked up behind them in 1977
for tax evasion in the US and that was the end of the group as a chart
force.
Were the band themselves ever implicated?
Not that I'm aware of. They switched labels and released some singles in
1978 to little interest.
The "talent" often turn out not to be the most important talent.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
It must be a year ago now because I was still at my old job but I
remember listening to some documentaries about the Ted Heath era - which
I know was slightly before this time - and it didn't sound fun at all.
I'd only really heard the three-day week bandied about as an expression
before, I didn't completely understand what it was like.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
The main seller of this record is the (at the time) uncredited
'Freebird'. The accompanying promo clip, which was for the latter song,
was shown on the OGWT and was recorded at Knebworth on 21 August 1976.
And it captures that hot summer perfectly.
I did wonder why the credits for this were so inconsistent.
Not helped by the fact that Freebird started life as the sole track on
the B side of this 1976 release but on the 1979 re-issue it was promoted
to being the sole track on the A side.
Was it an edit?
The 1979 7" had the full version of 'Freebird' on the A side so I'm
guessing it was the same when it wa the B side on the 1976 original.
Squeezing all that on a 7"? It can't have sounded great.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-09-22 20:13:10 UTC
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 12:44:59 +0100, Chris Brown
Post by Chris Brown
Coincidentally, a member of Can died a couple of weeks ago, just in time
for the anniversary of their one appearance in the UK chart.
Elsewhere we get a few iconic tracks of the era, a lot of completely
forgotten tracks, the alleged first punk tracks in the chart and Bryan
Ferry's karaoke night.
Spotify is here, YouTube to follow
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0H5KWDItTwjniShmyYzvlO
chart dated 18th September 1976
I remember the year very well - it was the summer of the great drought
- but I don't recall all that much of the music in here. It was a bit
before I discovered the likes of Radio Luxembourg and Radio Caroline,
so most of what I do remember is either from what I recall seeing on
TotP or on the radio station that my parents listened to.

Not that it really matters. There isn't a lot in this chart to
contradict the widely held belief that the 70s were, with a few
notable exceptions, mostly a musical wasteland in between the end of
the 60s and the start of punk.

Despite the age of the chart, I have seen three of the acts in here
play live. Although only one of them played the track that's in this
chart.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
Probably their best known song, although I'd argue that it's not
necessarily their best.
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
4. (8) Georghe Zamfir (Light Of Experience) Doina De Jale
5. (17) Mr Acker Bilk Aria
Don't recall any of these from the time, and even hearing them now
doesn't ring any bells.
Post by Chris Brown
6. (2) Wings Let 'Em In
I think I vaguely remember this from the time, though.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
8. (3) The Chi-Lites You Don't Have To Go
Don't recall these either.
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
I definitely remember this. I even remember watching the episode of
TotP that your selected YouTube clip comes from.
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
I remember the band, but not particularly this track.
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Classic track.
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
I thought I didn't remember this, from the title. But hearing it, I
realise that I do.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Another of the few tracks that could be called a 70s classic.
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
And another of the few that I recall from the time.
Post by Chris Brown
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
I remember this song very well, although I'm not at all sure when I
remember it from.
Post by Chris Brown
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
Although now mostly perceived as a Saturday Night Fever track, this
was originally released as a single a year before the soundtrack (and
came from a different album).
Post by Chris Brown
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
Originally written for an advert, and only very slightly altered to
remove the brand name. Lord David Paul Nicholas Dundas has got to be,
surely, the poshest person ever to have a top 40 hit single.
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
Their second most famous track. And one of the few tracks from this
chart to still get airplay.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-09-22 22:42:00 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Though of course some would argue that the start of punk had already
taken place by now.
Post by Chris Brown
1. (1) ABBA Dancing Queen
Probably their best known song, although I'd argue that it's not
necessarily their best.
Obviously not their most emotive work.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
2. (6) Rod Stewart The Killing Of Georgie
3. (13) Real Thing Can't Get By Without You
4. (8) Georghe Zamfir (Light Of Experience) Doina De Jale
5. (17) Mr Acker Bilk Aria
Don't recall any of these from the time, and even hearing them now
doesn't ring any bells.
I think the first time I heard of the Rod Stewart song was when somebody
wrote into Q to ask whether there was a link between the reference to
"53rd & 3rd" in this song and Jonathan King releasing a record under
that name.
Radio 2 play it nowadays, but perhaps the lyrical content is too edgy
for other stations.

'Can't Get By Without You' seems to get played by radio stations as an
alternative when they've already played 'You To Me Are Everything' in
the previous show. It's that kind of follow-up hit.
Post by Chris Brown
7. (7) The Stylistics 16 Bars
8. (3) The Chi-Lites You Don't Have To Go
Don't recall these either.
The Chi-lites one is another Radio 2 special. It's a slightly
unfinished-sounding record.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
9. (23) The Wurzels I Am A Cider Drinker
I definitely remember this. I even remember watching the episode of
TotP that your selected YouTube clip comes from.
I can understand it would attract the attention of a younger listener.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
10. (25) Bay City Rollers I Only Wanna Be With You
I remember the band, but not particularly this track.
An obvious cover.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
11. (14) Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By The Light
Classic track.
Even though the singer (Chris Thompson, I think his name was) clearly
doesn't understand what the lyrics are about.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
I thought I didn't remember this, from the title. But hearing it, I
realise that I do.
I'm pretty sure the only times I've heard it in full are when I've
listened for these threads. It must be one of the least remembered
Number One singles of the era.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
14. (4) Elton John And Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Another of the few tracks that could be called a 70s classic.
And a more-remembered Number One.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
And another of the few that I recall from the time.
Were you old enough to know what it was about?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
23. (36) Rod Stewart Sailing {1976 run}
I remember this song very well, although I'm not at all sure when I
remember it from.
Hard to imagine it was ever a new song.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
Although now mostly perceived as a Saturday Night Fever track, this
was originally released as a single a year before the soundtrack (and
came from a different album).
Must admit I've never seen the film all the way through. Is this song
actually in it?
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
33. (24) David Dundas Jeans On
Originally written for an advert, and only very slightly altered to
remove the brand name. Lord David Paul Nicholas Dundas has got to be,
surely, the poshest person ever to have a top 40 hit single.
On musical merit, at least.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
35. (44) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble
Their second most famous track.
Possibly even their most famous nowadays "thanks" to Kid Rock.
Post by Mark Goodge
And one of the few tracks from this
chart to still get airplay.
True, although I suppose it depends what you listen to.
Apart from the already mentioned I'd suggest 'Heaven Must Be Missing An
Angel' would be the most-played track. Mind you, I suppose Judge Dread
gets as much airplay now as he did at the time.

Chris
James Heaton
2017-09-23 10:13:59 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 12:44:59 +0100, Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
I thought I didn't remember this, from the title. But hearing it, I
realise that I do.
I'm pretty sure the only times I've heard it in full are when I've
listened for these threads. It must be one of the least remembered Number
One singles of the era.
This was no1 on the BBC4 TOTP repeats the week we got digital!

A really lovely song, the lyrics in the original are completely different -
it's a bog standard love song in German (I know they were Dutch but the
original's in German)

James
Chris Brown
2017-09-23 18:04:46 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 12:44:59 +0100, Chris Brown
12. (21) Pussycat Mississippi
I thought I didn't remember this, from the title. But hearing it, I
realise that I do.
I'm pretty sure the only times I've heard it in full are when I've
listened for these threads. It must be one of the least remembered
Number One singles of the era.
This was no1 on the BBC4 TOTP repeats the week we got digital!
I used to watch some of those on iPlayer but I must have missed that one.

When I did finally listen to the track I realised I recognised part of
it from one of those adverts for a compilation not available in any
shops that used to be on a lot.
Post by James Heaton
A really lovely song, the lyrics in the original are completely
different - it's a bog standard love song in German (I know they were
Dutch but the original's in German)
Ooh, not heard the German version - is it still called the same title?

I know it's not uncommon for "translated" songs to end up with a totally
unrelated lyric.

Chris
James Heaton
2017-09-23 20:06:10 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by James Heaton
A really lovely song, the lyrics in the original are completely
different - it's a bog standard love song in German (I know they were
Dutch but the original's in German)
Ooh, not heard the German version - is it still called the same title?
I know it's not uncommon for "translated" songs to end up with a totally
unrelated lyric.
Enjoy.

German lyrics below, ran through Google translate and my rusty German says
it's pretty good, other than it's boyfriend not friends in this context.

James
Robbie
2017-09-23 20:08:45 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Enjoy. http://youtu.be/rklDwBRTwQk
German lyrics below, ran through Google translate and my rusty German
says it's pretty good, other than it's boyfriend not friends in this
context.
James
And to think I thought it started life as a Dutch song...
--
------
Robbie
Rink
2021-05-23 11:59:38 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Post by James Heaton
Post by James Heaton
A really lovely song, the lyrics in the original are
completely different - it's a bog standard love song in German
(I know they were Dutch but the original's in German)
The original version was in English.
A hugh hit all over the world...
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
Ooh, not heard the German version - is it still called the same title?
I know it's not uncommon for "translated" songs to end up with a
totally unrelated lyric.
Enjoy. http://youtu.be/rklDwBRTwQk
German lyrics below, ran through Google translate and my rusty
German says it's pretty good, other than it's boyfriend not friends
in this context.
James
And to think I thought it started life as a Dutch song...
And: are you Dutch?

Never knew Pussycat sung it in German.

As far as I know there is no Dutch version.

When I was young I heard it too many times.
And it was not "cool" to like Pussycat.
(I think the word "cool" was not used then how I use it now)

They used it at dance lessons (the English version of course),
but I do not know anymore which dance it is.

But now I'm oder I like it more, it is a great song.

Rink
(from The Netherlands)

Mark Goodge
2017-09-23 11:21:57 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
And another of the few that I recall from the time.
Were you old enough to know what it was about?
I probably would have been if I'd thought about it, but I didn't think
about it. Not having a huge interest in music anyway at the time, and
in the absence of things like the Internet (or even record sleeves) to
look them up, I don't think I had much appreciation of lyrics beyond
the relatively small sections from songs that formed the hook.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
Although now mostly perceived as a Saturday Night Fever track, this
was originally released as a single a year before the soundtrack (and
came from a different album).
Must admit I've never seen the film all the way through. Is this song
actually in it?
Yes, it is.

More interestingly, the majority of the disco soundtrack - including
all the contributions by the Bee Gees - was added in post-production.
This was partly due to difficulties getting copyright clearance for
some of the existing songs that had been used during filming, and
partly because the material contributed by the Bee Gees and their
collaborators was so much better than the original material composed
specifically for the film.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-09-23 18:13:41 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
And another of the few that I recall from the time.
Were you old enough to know what it was about?
I probably would have been if I'd thought about it, but I didn't think
about it. Not having a huge interest in music anyway at the time, and
in the absence of things like the Internet (or even record sleeves) to
look them up, I don't think I had much appreciation of lyrics beyond
the relatively small sections from songs that formed the hook.
I was going to say, they're not very subtle if you're listening to them
but obviously most people wouldn't, unless they were already familiar
with the title phrase. Actually, I'm just assuming people used that
phrase before the song existed, perhaps I'm wrong there.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
27. (5) The Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
Although now mostly perceived as a Saturday Night Fever track, this
was originally released as a single a year before the soundtrack (and
came from a different album).
Must admit I've never seen the film all the way through. Is this song
actually in it?
Yes, it is.
More interestingly, the majority of the disco soundtrack - including
all the contributions by the Bee Gees - was added in post-production.
This was partly due to difficulties getting copyright clearance for
some of the existing songs that had been used during filming, and
partly because the material contributed by the Bee Gees and their
collaborators was so much better than the original material composed
specifically for the film.
That is indeed more interesting.

I was wondering whether it was a technical challenge to change the
soundtrack of dancing scenes, although I suppose a lot of disco tracks
have similar BPMs so that would help stay in time.

Chris
Mark Goodge
2017-09-23 19:28:59 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
22. (31) Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
And another of the few that I recall from the time.
Were you old enough to know what it was about?
I probably would have been if I'd thought about it, but I didn't think
about it. Not having a huge interest in music anyway at the time, and
in the absence of things like the Internet (or even record sleeves) to
look them up, I don't think I had much appreciation of lyrics beyond
the relatively small sections from songs that formed the hook.
I was going to say, they're not very subtle if you're listening to them
but obviously most people wouldn't, unless they were already familiar
with the title phrase. Actually, I'm just assuming people used that
phrase before the song existed, perhaps I'm wrong there.
According to Wikipedia, citing quotes from the composers in the
Billboard Book of Number One Hits, the phrase had no generally
understood sexual meaning prior to their use of it.
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
One of the songs ("More Than a Woman") was deliberately composed to
match the structure of the one used in filming, since it was used for
two lengthy sequences that used the song almost in full. For the
others, it was enough that they had the same BPM and could be cut into
the soundtrack appropriately.

It's kind of funny that the Bee Gees' music was almost an
afterthought, and only included because of problems with the original
music, and even more so that, at the time, the Bee Gees weren't over
happy with the amount of their material that was used - they'd
supplied a selection of songs, expecting maybe just two or three to be
used, leaving the rest available to be later incorporated into one of
their own albums. But the producers used all of it, somewhat to the
band's annoyance. Ultimately, though, it was hugely beneficial to both
the band and the film. It's hard to see how the film (a relatively low
budget affair, which was one of the reasons why they'd struggled with
original music) would have been so successful without the Bee Gees,
while the soundtrack album provided the band with their first chart
toppers in both the singles and albums chart.

The album was, for many years, the best-selling soundtrack album of
all time, and it's still the second best (the number one now being the
soundtrack to The Bodyguard). Not bad for something hastily cobbled
together to rescue a floundering production.

Mark
Chris Brown
2017-09-23 23:41:13 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
Hmm, so they did invent it. I suppose that's an achievement of sorts.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Chris Brown
[...]
In the US, presumably, they'd had Number One singles in the Sixties over
here of course.
Post by Mark Goodge
The album was, for many years, the best-selling soundtrack album of
all time, and it's still the second best (the number one now being the
soundtrack to The Bodyguard).
Again, though, did Dirty Dancing sell more in the UK?
Post by Mark Goodge
Not bad for something hastily cobbled
together to rescue a floundering production.
I suppose it had a slightly mixed effect on their career in the end. But
the songs are enduringly popular.

Chris