You broke my heart because I couldn't post a chart from 1963
Chris Brown
2020-10-11 12:29:36 UTC
A bit overshadowed amid the many other celebrity deaths this year, but
Trini Lopez died a while back so I'm using that as an excuse to
represent his biggest hit. Also notably a Top 50 bookended by versions
of the same song (not the only song with competing versions) and a week
that doubtless caused great excitement at Decca as Brian Poole And The
Tremoloes knocked the Beatles off Number One.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6u7cDbuCEg9Jmsn6DywBeX?si=B-qMtmlSQeq0wRNNk6E9Lw
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpJmiKC2mQv_llQtR3EdE6S

Chart date c. 16 Oct 1963

1. (2) Brian Poole And The Tremeloes Do You Love Me?
2. (3) The Crystals Then He Kissed Me
3. (1) The Beatles She Loves You
4. (5) Trini Lopez If I Had A Hammer
5. (9) Roy Orbison Blue Bayou/Mean Woman Blues
6. (8) The Shadows Shindig
7. (13) Adam Faith The First Time
8. (4) Cliff Richard It's All In The Game
9. (11) Jet Harris & Tony Meehan Applejack
10. (12) Buddy Holly Wishing
11. (6) Steve Lawrence And Eydie Gorme I Want To Stay Here
12. (17) The Hollies Searchin'
13. (27) Shirley Bassey I (Who Have Nothing)
14. (18) The Fourmost Hello Little Girl
15. (7) Heinz Just Like Eddie
16. (25) Tommy Roe Everybody
17. (20) Allan Sherman Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh!
18. (28) Billy Fury Somebody Else's Girl
19. (14) Karl Denver Still
20. (10) Johnny Kidd And The Pirates I'll Never Get Over You
21. (15) Billy J Kramer And The Dakotas Bad To Me
22. (NE) Gerry And The Pacemakers You'll Never Walk Alone
23. (21) Kathy Kirby Dance On
24. (23) The Bachelors Whispering
25. (NE) Chuck Berry Let It Rock/Memphis Tennessee
26. (31) Merseybeats It's Love That Really Counts
27. (22) The Surfaris Wipe Out
28. (29) Dave Berry And The Cruisers Memphis Tennessee
29. (16) Caravelles You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
30. (26) The Rolling Stones Come On
31. (19) Freddie And The Dreamers I'm Telling You Now
32. (30) Little Peggy March Hello Heartache, Goodbye Love
33. (34) Joe Brown Sally Ann
34. (24) Ken Thorne Theme From "The Legion's Last Patrol"
35. (43) Ken Dodd Still
36. (35) Ray Charles No One
37. (39) Sam Cooke Frankie And Johnny
38. (32) Frank Ifield Confessin'
39. (41) Del Shannon Two Silhouettes
40. (42) Tony Bennett The Good Life
41. (NE) The Drifters I'll Take You Home
42. (NE) Bo Diddley Pretty Thing
43. (NE) Peter, Paul And Mary Blowing In The Wind
44. (49) Harry Secombe If I Ruled The World
45. (NE) Jimmy Young Miss You
46. (38) Jan And Dean Surf City
47. (33) The Searchers Sweets For My Sweet
48. (NE) The Tornados Dragonfly
49. (NE) The Searchers Sweet Nothin's
50. (45) The Dave Clark Five Do You Love Me?

Chris
Vidcapper
2020-10-12 05:33:29 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date c. 16 Oct 1963
3. (1) The Beatles She Loves You
22. (NE) Gerry And The Pacemakers You'll Never Walk Alone
Just these two I know (probably no surprise). :)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Chris Brown
2020-10-12 21:15:38 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Chris Brown
Chart date c. 16 Oct 1963
3.   (1) The Beatles    She Loves You
22. (NE) Gerry And The Pacemakers    You'll Never Walk Alone
Just these two I know (probably no surprise). :)
Those were probably the two most likely. They made us sing 'IF I Had A
Hammer' at school, but I guess it might have been a bit too new when you
were at school?

Anyway, the obligatory list of other versions is going to happen:

1. (2) Brian Poole And The Tremeloes Do You Love Me? [cover of the
Contours song, also a hit for Dave Clark Five]
2. (3) The Crystals Then He Kissed Me [later a hit for the Beach Boys
as Then I Kissed Her]

4. (5) Trini Lopez If I Had A Hammer [later covered by Handy Andy]
5. (9) Roy Orbison Blue Bayou [later covered by Linda Ronstadt]
8. (4) Cliff Richard It's All In The Game [previously a chart-topper
for Tommy Edwards, later a hit for the Four Tops - also the only Number
One single co-written by a US Vice President]
14. (18) The Fourmost Hello Little Girl [written by John Lennon,
supposedly the first song he ever wrote]
17. (20) Allan Sherman Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh! [based on Dance Of
The Hours from the opera La Gioconda]
19. (14) Karl Denver Still [also a hit for Ken Dodd]
22. (NE) Gerry And The Pacemakers You'll Never Walk Alone [from the
musical Carousel]
23. (21) Kathy Kirby Dance On [vocal version of a previous Shadows hit]
25. (NE) Chuck Berry Let It Rock [later covered by the Rolling Stones
/Memphis Tennessee [also a hit for Dave Berry]
27. (22) The Surfaris Wipe Out [later covered by the Fat Boys with the
Beach Boys, and by Animal from the Muppets]
28. (29) Dave Berry And The Cruisers Memphis Tennessee [also a hit for
Chuck Berry]
30. (26) The Rolling Stones Come On [cover of a Chuck Berry song]
35. (43) Ken Dodd Still [also a hit For Karl Denver]
12. (17) The Hollies Searchin' [cover of a Coasters song]
43. (NE) Peter, Paul And Mary Blowing In The Wind [cover of the famous
Bob Dylan song]
44. (49) Harry Secombe If I Ruled The World [from the musical Pickwick,
apparently]
47. (33) The Searchers Sweets For My Sweet [US hit for the Drifters,
later also a hit for CJ Lewis]
49. (NE) The Searchers Sweet Nothin's [cover of the Brenda Lee song,
which was also sampled by Kanye West and Sigma]
50. (45) The Dave Clark Five Do You Love Me? [cover of the Contours
song, also a hit for Brian Poole & The Tremeloes]

Phew!

Chris
Robbie
2020-10-17 19:00:21 UTC
Post by Chris Brown
A bit overshadowed amid the many other celebrity deaths this year, but
Chart date c. 16 Oct 1963
There's quite a few songs in this chart I don't know.
Post by Chris Brown
1.   (2) Brian Poole And The Tremeloes    Do You Love Me?
Did The Beatles also cover this? I get versions of this song mixed up.
Post by Chris Brown
2.   (3) The Crystals    Then He Kissed Me
Decent song though the production sounds very dated.
Post by Chris Brown
3.   (1) The Beatles    She Loves You
Many years ago I used to prefer early period Beatles tracks to their
later ones. I'm still not overly keen on some of their later recordings
but I'm no longer keen on their earlier releases. I largely like their
1964 - 1967 material.
Post by Chris Brown
4.   (5) Trini Lopez    If I Had A Hammer
A bit bland.
Post by Chris Brown
5.   (9) Roy Orbison    Blue Bayou/Mean Woman Blues
I don't know the second track but do know the first. A decent enough Big
O track.
Post by Chris Brown
6.   (8) The Shadows    Shindig
7.  (13) Adam Faith    The First Time
Nope, don't know either.
Post by Chris Brown
8.   (4) Cliff Richard    It's All In The Game
No longer the rocker Cliff, he was largely following Elvis into ballad
territory. This one is poor.
Post by Chris Brown
9.  (11) Jet Harris & Tony Meehan    Applejack
10. (12) Buddy Holly    Wishing
11.  (6) Steve Lawrence And Eydie Gorme    I Want To Stay Here
12. (17) The Hollies    Searchin'
Don't recognise any of these (at least by title).
Post by Chris Brown
13. (27) Shirley Bassey    I (Who Have Nothing)
I have to admit: I've never liked Shirley Bassey's voice.
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) The Fourmost    Hello Little Girl
Nope, another blank.
Post by Chris Brown
15.  (7) Heinz    Just Like Eddie
About Eddie Cochran if I recall. I do remember this getting quite a few
plays as late as the late 1970s / start of the 1980s, especially when a
cover version was released by the Silicon Teens in 1980.
Post by Chris Brown
16. (25) Tommy Roe    Everybody
Nope, I don't etc
Post by Chris Brown
17. (20) Allan Sherman    Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh!
Annoying song I recall from Junior Choice from Radio 1 in the mid to
late 1970s.
Post by Chris Brown
18. (28) Billy Fury    Somebody Else's Girl
19. (14) Karl Denver    Still
20. (10) Johnny Kidd And The Pirates    I'll Never Get Over You
Nope, etc.

There's no Breakers chart as the first chart wasn't until April 1966.
    Chris
Chris Brown
2020-10-19 22:26:47 UTC
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
A bit overshadowed amid the many other celebrity deaths this year, but
Chart date c. 16 Oct 1963
There's quite a few songs in this chart I don't know.
It was all a long time ago.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
1.   (2) Brian Poole And The Tremeloes    Do You Love Me?
Did The Beatles also cover this? I get versions of this song mixed up.
They certainly didn't record it, and I can't find any reference to them
even performing it. They did tend to prefer less obvious songs that
other acts didn't play.

There is a connection to the Beatles of course, because on the day of
their famous failed audition for Decca, Brian Poole & The Tremeloes also
auditioned and did get a record deal.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
2.   (3) The Crystals    Then He Kissed Me
Decent song though the production sounds very dated.
Produced by Phil Spector, of course, so another Beatles connection.
But yeah, even though that Wall of Sound was very influential, it was
already being overtaken by the newer studio sounds.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
3.   (1) The Beatles    She Loves You
Many years ago I used to prefer early period Beatles tracks to their
later ones. I'm still not overly keen on some of their later recordings
but I'm no longer keen on their earlier releases. I largely like their
1964 - 1967 material.
I like pretty much all of it. I got a Beatles birthday card at work in
March, and then I didn't go back to the office until John Lennon's
birthday in October.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
4.   (5) Trini Lopez    If I Had A Hammer
A bit bland.
The audience don't sound that excited, but I suppose that means they're
not fake.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
5.   (9) Roy Orbison    Blue Bayou/Mean Woman Blues
I don't know the second track but do know the first.
Presumably the second one was getting played at the time in order for it
to be listed in those days. As you might imagine it's a harder-sounding
track.
Post by Robbie
A decent enough Big
O track.
Yes I like this one.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
6.   (8) The Shadows    Shindig
7.  (13) Adam Faith    The First Time
Nope, don't know either.
Neither of them the most memorable work by the respective acts.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
8.   (4) Cliff Richard    It's All In The Game
No longer the rocker Cliff, he was largely following Elvis into ballad
territory. This one is poor.
It's a decent song but it was old then and it's not a great version.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
9.  (11) Jet Harris & Tony Meehan    Applejack
10. (12) Buddy Holly    Wishing
11.  (6) Steve Lawrence And Eydie Gorme    I Want To Stay Here
12. (17) The Hollies    Searchin'
Don't recognise any of these (at least by title).
Another link to the failed Beatles audition, because Harris & Meehan had
defected from the Shadows and EMI to Decca, and Meehan was also hired as
a producer. After Decca rejected The Beatles there was apparently some
offer where Brian Epstein would pay Meehan to record the single in Decca
studios, but it never happened.
Meanwhile, Buddy Holly wasn't letting being dead slow him down.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
13. (27) Shirley Bassey    I (Who Have Nothing)
I have to admit: I've never liked Shirley Bassey's voice.
I'm not keen either, I suppose I have some respect for her longevity.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
14. (18) The Fourmost    Hello Little Girl
Nope, another blank.
One of the three original songs The Beatles did at their Decca audition.
Like the other two, they never recorded it when they did get their deal
with EMI, but their publishers were able to sell it on to somebody else.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
15.  (7) Heinz    Just Like Eddie
About Eddie Cochran if I recall.
Yes, Joe Meek seemed to be obsessed with him.
Post by Robbie
I do remember this getting quite a few
plays as late as the late 1970s / start of the 1980s, especially when a
cover version was released by the Silicon Teens in 1980.
Oh yeah, I forgot they'd done that.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
16. (25) Tommy Roe    Everybody
Nope, I don't etc
Not as bad as I thought.
Post by Robbie
Post by Chris Brown
17. (20) Allan Sherman    Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh!
Annoying song I recall from Junior Choice from Radio 1 in the mid to
late 1970s.
Some of his songs were more satirical.
My Mum used to listen to an album where he did a sequel to this.

Chris